What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks?

spider

Coach
Momentum was generated once the player was "lifted" - which subsequently reults in being put into a dangerous position.

Johns Magic

Referee
SpiderShark said:
Momentum was generated once the player was "lifted" - which subsequently reults in being put into a dangerous position.

The momentum came from Robertson being at full speed.

Moffo

Referee
its not his go, his one of the boys, love a beer after the game, would help an old woman cross the road, stands up for ladies on the newwie express

Mr Saab

Referee
Johns Magic said:

Yes, but that wont wash.
All players run (well most) at full speed when hitting the line

Kiwi said:
thats bad, I don't normally say this, but he should have been sent from the field, that was a shocker.

If he gets less than 6 weeks for that, the N in NRL obviously stands for Newcastle.

Cmon NRL...if he gets less than Crocker then bias is one word that comes to mind !!!...:sch:

I'd say they will grade it as about a grade 2 dangerous tackle. That means it was a bad careless tackle, but not reckless. Danny's crime was he lifted in the tackle, as most players still try to do. It's natural. It's the way we all grew up playing the game. A tackle where you lift the player and dump him is like driving a player back or hitting him ball and all and sitting him on his arse. It's dominating defence. Unfortunately for Danny and a lot of other players in recent years the powers that be have decided that when a player is lifted above the horizontal it is ALWAYS a suspendable offence, depending on guilty pleas etc. I'm not saying they should be allowed, because clearly if they were there would be serious injuries. But players should be treated more leniently when they did very little to put the player in a dangerous position. Sometimes you see a tackler run in as the third or fourth man, he picks up a stationary and already subdued ball carrier and tips him on his head. That to me is a bad lifting tackle, because it is totally unnecessary and was caused entirely by the tackler and not momentum of the ball runner and other defenders. However when the tackler makes first contact and lifts, as most players are stil naturally disposed to doing, and the ball runners momentum and weight contribute significantly to the tackle going bad and/or other tacklers also contribute through no fault of their own I think the tackler should be dealt with in a more lenient fashion. It's a bit like in a high tackle where one player swings his arm while another produces a reflex grab when wrong footed. One is reckless and asking for trouble, the other is an unfortunate but natural occurrence. I would put Buderus' in the less serious category and expect a suspension of 1-2 matches. Crocker's was more serious and I would expect 3-4 matches. I think that's close to what he would have got but clearly his loading (which I don't agree with) went against him.

I don't believe in rubbing players out for long periods of time unless they really deserve it. No one in the game benefits from that except the spiteful and unreasonable fans who like to see players from other clubs punished. We ask the players to play the game in a tough and physical way and when they stray from the rules in a minor way, usually by accident, I don't think it's fair to lambast them and ban them for weeks on end, and I especially hate to see all the hysteria that surrounds some of these situations with fans (that's right fans of rugby league) frothing at the mouth and calling for 8, 10 and 15 weeks suspensions. I doubt Danny Buderus will play again this season unless the Knights make the grand final but that will only be to the detriment of the NRL finals series, to have one of the game's best missing. He should cop a 1 or 2 week suspension and that would be reasonable but for God's sake give the guy a fair go, look at what he did and why it happened.

Mr Saab

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
. He should cop a 1 or 2 week suspension and that would be reasonable but for God's sake give the guy a fair go, look at what he did and why it happened.

Billy Slater and Mick Crocker did similar things and they were punished.

Johns Magic

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Yes, but that wont wash.
All players run (well most) at full speed when hitting the line

I know it won't, and it shouldn't. But alot of the guys on here claiming he should get 12 weeks are kidding themselves(or they're just Raiders fans).

spider

Coach
Johns Magic said:

Your kidding right.

We better stop the players from running at full speed then.

In that case then - what grade should Robertson be charged - as its his fault for running at speed.

Mr Saab

Referee
Johns Magic said:
I know it won't, and it shouldn't. But alot of the guys on here claiming he should get 12 weeks are kidding themselves(or they're just Raiders fans).

I dont want 12 weeks for Danny.
He should cop the rest of the finals series...3-4 weeks...no more.

Mr Saab said:
Billy Slater and Mick Crocker did similar things and they were punished.
Similar? Based on what grounds. I love how fans try to compare one tackle to another by saying "he did the same/similar thing" without actually comparing the facts of each case. To make a judgement about any incident you have to have a set of ideals or guidelines that stipulate: what was the illegality, what caused it, who's at fault etc. Most of all you have to do what's right. I don't think many people actually look at the facts. They see a bloke lifted and land on hishead and they think that it must have been the worst tackle they've ever seen.

innsaneink

Referee
SpiderShark said:
Your kidding right.

We better stop the players from running at full speed then.

In that case then - what grade should Robertson be charged - as its his fault for running at speed.

If you cant see that momentum played a part in this incident, well...go watch it again.

Unfortunately a grade one will see him miss one week, grade 2 or more sees him gone for the year, and it dont deserve that.

Mr Saab

Referee
Not the worst tackle i have ever seen, but lets not put 35-40% blame on Robertson for what role he played in the tackle.
Many outside backs run at full speed and are cut down around the legs.
Danny lifted and put the player in a bad position.

Mr Saab said:
Not the worst tackle i have ever seen, but lets not put 35-40% blame on Robertson for what role he played in the tackle.
Many outside backs run at full speed and are cut down around the legs.
Danny lifted and put the player in a bad position.

No one's saying it's actually Robertson's fault as such. It's more about the mitigating factors in terms of what Buderus did. His momentum was a contributing factor to the tackle going wrong. That's not his fault but it is an important factor to consider when assessing Buderus' culpability.

innsaneink

Referee
SpiderShark said:
Q - if the tackle was exactly, and i mean exactly the same, but the player is stretchered from the field. Would you make the same statement? Danny lifts the player, he goes over the horizontal, and impacts on his neck - there lie all the indicators they will consider in passing judgement.

I bet Crocker awaits in anticipation for the verdict.

Yeah I think I would stand by my comments.

It wasnt your classic spear tackle.
He had no arm between the legs.
Its obvious he was trying to put him on his back.
It pretty obvious theres no intent, from what I could see.

He wasnt lifted straight up and then dumped straight down, there was quite an arc where he travel up on an angle, hrizontal for a split sec, then down again...on an angle. Momentum. Its a factor.

I have no bias one way or the other here....purely my opinion, and Im no real Bedsy fan.....I honestly think it shouldnt be more than a week.
All opinion here, and whatever he ebventually does get, some people will feel justified and think that proves them right, :roll: a judiciarry panel thats made more mistakes this year than got things right.
It also make me chuckle seeing manly fans pointing out that Hampstead told harrigan he was thinking send off....but for the rest of the game he was incompetent, inept and one sided????

I agree hampstead had a shocker, he was all manly in the first half and it swung around in the 2nd the Knights way.

CharlieF

Juniors
Buderus went for that type of driving lifting tackle when a standard tackle around the boots would have done. He contributed 100% to the illegal tackle.

Who cares if its not his go. He was going for the aggressive, hurting tackle. There was nothing accidental about that. 4 weeks suspension sounds about right although going on past penalties, 4 weeks is a let off.

mickdo

Coach
Whether he had a hand between the legs or not, he still:
a) lifted
b) drove in to the ground

2 weeks minimum IMO

CharlieF

Juniors
innsaneink said:
I agree hampstead had a shocker, he was all manly in the first half and it swung around in the 2nd the Knights way.

??????

Penalty count 1st half. Newcastle 6-1.
Possesion is in Newcastles favour by at least 15-20% in 1st half.
We won't even need to talk about field position. Manly only had 4 tackles in Newcastles half in the first half.

Now can you explain how the referee was all Manly in the first half. The 10 metres was non-existant for both teams.

innsaneink

Referee
CharlieF said:
??????

Penalty count 1st half. Newcastle 6-1.
Possesion is in Newcastles favour by at least 15-20% in 1st half.
We won't even need to talk about field position. Manly only had 4 tackles in Newcastles half in the first half.

Now can you explain how the referee was all Manly in the first half. The 10 metres was non-existant for both teams.

Many calls...including a Knights player held back shouldve been a penalty, next thing you guys run the length to get 6 points....another try assist to manly by the ref.

Must be a bitch getting screwed by the ref eh?
Ask a Dogs fan.....:lol: