What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much are wingers worth these days?

RWB

Bench
Haha, trying to edit a post on my phone here...

The stat was for the left sideline, not edge.

Yeh, there's also a typo in that article. It's hardly surprising really, McManus is hugely underrated imo.

Burwood

Bench
Left Sideline
"Their right-sideline defenders have kept up their end of the defensive bargain"

I assume it's meant to say left

The article is still clearly referring to Uate's side in defence though, not McManus'.

Pretty Sure Wayne Bennett understands more about Salary Cap management and what a player is worth to the team and fans more than any arm chair expert here..

If Bennett is willing to pay 400k to Uate in 2014 and 500k in 2015 when the salary cap is much bigger than it is now then I guess that is what Uate is worth..

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Bit of sensationalism from the Daily Fishwrap surely? Im willing to be 400K wouldn't be the top salary for any NRL club under the new cap.

^this. I'd even go so far as to say in the current cap.

As if Ring Gids isn't on more than Uate now and in line for a pay rise when the 5.8 kicks in. Mullen as well.

If your wingers are getting more than your playmakers your club is in dire straits.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Pretty Sure Wayne Bennett understands more about Salary Cap management and what a player is worth to the team and fans more than any arm chair expert here..

If Bennett is willing to pay 400k to Uate in 2014 and 500k in 2015 when the salary cap is much bigger than it is now then I guess that is what Uate is worth..

Who says he is? Bennett is on record as saying he wouldn't pay a prop more than $300,000. A good prop is worth more than any good winger any day.

Before you mention Snowden, that was Tinks, not Bennett.

Burwood

Bench
Who says he is? Bennett is on record as saying he wouldn't pay a prop more than $300,000. A good prop is worth more than any good winger any day.

When was this comment made? If it is in relation to Petero, he signed with Penrith for the 2008 season, when the salary cap was $4m. That's $1.8m less than the salary cap the NRL will be operating under in 2014.

Rod

Bench
There was a stat in a pre-match analysis last year in August that said Newcastle's right edge defence was responsible for 5 tries up to that stage of the season- the best in the NRL at the time.

I think because Uate had a couple of poor defensive plays in such a big game (Origin 2) it has shaped peoples overall opinion that he is always terrible on defence.

Uate is far from perfect on defence and he is work-in-progress as far as defensive reads are concerned but he's not the massive liability he's being made out to be either.

Joker's Wild

Coach

He said that back in 2009 when the cap was how much?

Bennett knows the worth of a player like Uate. If he is not re-signed then you all get to give a big collective "I told you so" but until then Ill trust that Wayne knows what he is doing.

Frenzy.

Post Whore

Frenzy.

Post Whore
He said that back in 2009 when the cap was how much?

Bennett knows the worth of a player like Uate. If he is not re-signed then you all get to give a big collective "I told you so" but until then Ill trust that Wayne knows what he is doing.

Nope. 2011.

Obviously a cap rise can change that thinking but it would be proportional. So if he becomes OK with the idea of paying a prop say, $400k for arguments sake he will still know what players are worth, I don't argue that, but it's hard to see him paying megabux for a winger no matter what the cap is. The club might. Bennett won't.

Burwood

Bench
After Petero. It was just before Snowden renegued on the Sharks after a last minute phone call from a mystery person.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ade-snowden-deal/story-e6frexnr-1226037481940

Is that your idea of Bennett being on record?

A Rothfield article using phrases like "reputation for not splashing out on front-rowers" and "unwritten rule throughout his coaching career" are not Bennett being on record as you claim.

What has Bennett been guilty of in recent times? Not offering Ryles >$300,000 at St George?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Nope. 2011.

Obviously a cap rise can change that thinking but it would be proportional. So if he becomes OK with the idea of paying a prop say, $400k for arguments sake he will still know what players are worth, I don't argue that, but it's hard to see him paying megabux for a winger no matter what the cap is. The club might. Bennett won't.

Again. Not in the article you posted champ. Pure speccy from the journo

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Dude, there is not a single quote from Wayne in that article, just speculation from the journo based on what Wayne said years before.

Regardless, it is a well known piece of Bennett's philosphy. Ask the Saints fans. I'm not going to go searching for a video of it but I have heard him say it as well.

This Uate talk has got manager speak written all over it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Good wingers are like an additional forward that does not have to do the tackling stuff. They are very valuable when coming out of your own end, if they are super fast and a good finisher gee they are even more valuable. No wonder uate is worth so much.

Canard

Immortal
Is that your idea of Bennett being on record?

A Rothfield article using phrases like "reputation for not splashing out on front-rowers" and "unwritten rule throughout his coaching career" are not Bennett being on record as you claim.

What has Bennett been guilty of in recent times? Not offering Ryles >$300,000 at St George?

Not to mention Wayne has a history of recruiting international props like Glen Lazarus, Sam Backo, Greg Dowling etc.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Regardless, it is a well known piece of Bennett's philosphy. Ask the Saints fans. I'm not going to go searching for a video of it but I have heard him say it as well.

This Uate talk has got manager speak written all over it.

3820720_o.gif

Latest posts