What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much longer will the Raiders endure with David Furner

bileduct

Coach
Honestly, after last night, I really cannot see a future for David Furner as Raiders coach beyond season 2012 and everything should be done to terminate his contract early.

Under his leadership we have lost our home ground record, our attacking performances are woefully inept and we NEVER look like scoring and somehow we are much, much less than the total sum of our parts.

And as far as the usual excuses go, we had injuries again, etc. You know, it wasn't all that long ago that the Raiders played half a game with 12 1/2 men and came from behind on the scoreboard to beat the Roosters. That team had guts. This team doesn't.

This team stinks.

bileduct

Coach
I've supported the Raiders since 1985 and I've seen much shitter teams do better than what we are dishing out.

legend

Coach
Agreed. They looked so soft (again) last night. Lack of intensity and effort. No leadership and fundamental errors that first grade players should not be making.

I've refrained pretty much from levelling criticism at Furner (this season) but how much longer can it go on?

Time for a change...and fast!

well, who's out there?

Graham Murray....always goes alright
Ricky Stuart....good for 2 seasons
Daniel Anderson.....made the grand final twice....
Nathan Brown

maybe theres an up and comer in the mix.

Furner..yeah. dont rate him.

bileduct

Coach
I'd go with any of those options other than Brown.

Injuries are no excuse. Furner has no idea how to get the best from his players. They look tired, disinterested, and most of all, uncoached.

legend

Coach
I think Stuart would be the logical next step. I would like Anderson though. No nonsense coach who may be the one to get the best out of the players.

bileduct

Coach
Whatever the next step is it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Most of us were hesitant were Furner was initially announced as coach due to his limited (well, none actually) coaching experience in the NRL. I could not believe that they extended his contract until the end of 2014 based on a handful of games at the end of the 2010 season and form that has never been repeated.

I've given him time, I've mostly kept my mouth shut, but I am not going to put up with this f**king clown and his stupid brother any longer.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
the reality is we are not a solid TEAM.

if you look at a team like Melbourne, the coach aims to bring everyone together, perform to there best and create synergy.

At the Raiders it seems like Furner has zero to no influence. Its posible he has helped develop the careers of our forwards, but geez our forwards are erratic, somtimes pumped up and motivated sometimes rarely giving a hoot.

I watch other teams and i can see formations, partnerships and set plays going off smoothly. but when i watch the raiders it seems our play invovles getting the ball to mccrone or campese.. running a decoy run and either running at the line and dummying or spreading out wide or just putting up a bomb to a winger running through, it is SOOO easy to defence and obvious.. we smashed the tigers because of there inept line defence and our talented players just ran through them with to much power... but i couidl be in charge and get that much out of these superstars.

In the end the most important thing is David adds nothign to our team. We have the best squad we have had for the past 10 years yet it seems they play lower than the sum of their talent. We need a coach who can bring this team to life and get them playing like a true rugby team.

I think we need Stuart or Daley:p this team and group of supporters deserve better.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We play without fire or intensity and when things goes against us we crumble. If we stick with Furner we are going to waste yet another crop of gun talent.

I'll throw a coach into the ring - Jim Dymock.

The boys did not follow the game plan.

DF said in the post match interview that we didnt earn the right to go wide when we didnt go forward first.

This doesnt land solely on DF shoulders.

legend

Coach
It doesn't but motivating the team and tweaking the game plan when it isn't working is. The team should be able to adapt on the run to suit the conditions and opposition. We didn't do that.

It's all well and good for him to say that but nothing ever changes. It sounds like he says once you're out there, you're on your own.

What was disturbing for me was the complete lack of intensity when we were behind the posts awaiting a Thurston shot at goal. No interest and apart from McFadden, no one laying down the law on how to combat the oppostions tactics.

Sam Mataora = exhibit A!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There's no point in a coach having a game plan if he can't consistently get his players to follow it.

What confuses me is the attitude of the players.

Do they think that because they win one week they dont need to put in the next or the win will just come if they turn up.

I agree that DF needs to get them mentally prepared to an extent but they are professional players if they cant be switched on on game day then they need to go and find another job.

Even if a game plan wasn't working Id imagine the captain could lead by example and change it on the run.

Last week DF was a genius , even the Fox commentators said so and this week a dunce who doesn't know how to coach.

I'm as frustrated as anybody and as pissed off as well but we need to look a bit wider than just DF. And Im not saying he shouldn't be taking responsibility , if the boys didn't follow the game plan then they need to go and have a few games for Mounties.

fourxman

Juniors
Honestly as much as I am unhappy with the coaching, I don't think we should waste too much more time on McCrone.

Yes he seems to work hard but he doesn't create opportunities, he hogs the ball and wastes good attacking opportunities. He wants to score a try for himself everytime we are near the opposition line.

mongoose

Coach
Last night was definitely worrying. Taking nothing away from the cowboys who were very good in the first 60 min but for our first home game on a dry track on a Monday night I expected more than that. We never looked like scoring a try until the final quarter of the game. Losing 2 players to injury is no excuse for woeful goal line defence and ineptness in the opposition 20.

Ofcourse we will probably string 6 or 7 wins together near the end of the season, mostly against poor opposition, scrape into 8th or maybe even 7th, then get pumped in the first week of finals. Then everybody will say the same thing again - 2013 is the year!! and ofcourse history will repeat itself and the same pattern will continue and we will forever be also rans while management is happy with mediocrity.

If we dont come top 6 this year then my hopes and expectations for this team will forever remain low.

Raider_69

Post Whore
if furner goes, and unless there is good chance he does if results arent kind, Justin Morgan will be the next coach. With Stuart a more than fair chance

i agree with others who say just because the players were garbage doesnt mean they didnt have a game plan. It was fairly obvious they did not execute the game plan

aussies1st

Staff member
A few more weeks of what we dished out yesterday and he'll be out the door soon enough.

Spot On

Coach
Honestly as much as I am unhappy with the coaching, I don't think we should waste too much more time on McCrone.

Yes he seems to work hard but he doesn't create opportunities, he hogs the ball and wastes good attacking opportunities. He wants to score a try for himself everytime we are near the opposition line.

Couldn't agree more. Last nights solo dart into three defenders with Thompson outside him (when Thompson got injured) was pure McCrone hog at its best. Where is Sam Williams?

aussies1st

Staff member
Our backline is full of hoggers, both centres rarely pass it, I can't remember the last time Ferguson or Wighton got the ball outside of a kick or desperate offload.