What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Slater got injured vs Parramatta

philstorm

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...e-truth-bellamy/2007/09/26/1190486395278.html

FRUSTRATED Storm coach Craig Bellamy yesterday responded to criticism of his side's tackling techniques by claiming a similar ploy was responsible for Billy Slater's knee injury and questioning whether grand final opponents Manly were behind a campaign to destabilise the minor premiers.

While Slater is expected to play on Sunday night, he failed to complete Melbourne's first field session since last weekend's spiteful encounter with Parramatta, and Bellamy later blamed the fullback's medial ligament strain on a PJ Marsh leg pull.

The 40th-minute incident, that led to Slater later hobbling from the field, was called "unnecessary" by the NRL's match review committee but like the controversial Brett White tackle on Eels captain Nathan Cayless it did not warrant further action.

Cayless suffered a torn pectoral muscle when White wrenched his arm trying to "turtle" him on the ground, sparking allegations that the Storm - alleged pioneers of the "grapple" tackle and "crusher" had invented a new manoeuvre, dubbed the "ripper".

But Bellamy said White's actions were no different to those of Marsh, who after tackling Slater grabbed at his bandaged right leg and yanked his ankle around in an awkward position.

"That looks quite deliberate and that's how Billy got injured. He could miss the grand final because of that," Bellamy said. "We knew that had happened on Sunday night but we didn't say anything about it.

"We've been copping it over the wrestling and the White incident … that incident [involving Slater], was that called for? We're sorry that Nathan got hurt … but that's how Billy got hurt. We prefer to leave things on the field but we copped about three days of this and nobody noticed what happened [to Slater].

Misty Bee

First Grade
Pathetic attempt by Bellamy to divert attention away from the ripper tackle. Bellamy is becoming a yawn.

For inflicting the grapple and now ripper tackles on the opposition for years, Melbourne have rightfully copped it. for Bellamy to suddenly cry foul at how HIS players are handled in tackles is akin to Hitler whinging about the inhumane use of gas.

Geez I hope Manly smash these lowlife scum!

philstorm

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Pathetic attempt by Bellamy to divert attention away from the ripper tackle. Bellamy is becoming a yawn.

For inflicting the grapple and now ripper tackles on the opposition for years, Melbourne have rightfully copped it. for Bellamy to suddenly cry foul at how HIS players are handled in tackles is akin to Hitler whinging about the inhumane use of gas.

:lol:

So when Bellamy points out what happens to his players to get him injured ... he's called 'low-life scum'.

Ah, classic.

Bazal

Post Whore
LOL...having done my medial, if that did for Billy he has the knees of a nine year old girl. Or else PJ should try out for the Olympic weightlifting squad

t-ba

Post Whore
You'd think the Storm would have better things to do on Grand Final week than scrutinize the game tape for potentially dodgy wrestling moves in the tackle.

Unless of course, he's taking pointers to refine his charges dismembering techniques.

humpy

Juniors
Argue the merits all day, but why is it that PJ Marsh seems to be involved in every niggly / bitchy incident that goes on in Parramatta games??

nqboy

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Pathetic attempt by Bellamy to divert attention away from the ripper tackle.
Pathetic attempt my Musty to divert attention away from PJ the grub.

PJ is a niggler, but compare this picture to the ones of Cayless and Grothe.

He is standing stationary and holding. The difference with White and Smith's pictures, is that they both have their whole bodies behind it.

Still have the game on tape - will check out the video at 39:08 to see if Bellamy is clutching at straws.

Ice777

Bench
Misty Bee said:

Hypocrite :lol:

SilverSteeler

Juniors
PJ Marsh is a dirty little bastard

Maybe they could go for the case of Marsh doesn't have the physical ability to lift someone's foot so it never happened.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
LOL I just looked at the tape. :crazy: Bellamy is clutching at straws. :lol:

But anyway, it's just a diversion tactic to take the pressure of his team. :cool:

bula_stormer

Juniors
I noticed the Eels do this a fair bit (pulling the leg) I've noticed Nath Hindmarsh do it a few times, not only in that game too, Cayless and obviously Marsh azwell.

Juniors
clutching at straws? u f*cking idiot, watch the tape, he grabs the leg, then moves down and grabs both ends of his foot for a firme grip, twists and pulls back around his body, which is why he's got a f**ked knee now, i swear every day i come on here you lot are just getting more and more stupid, its quite pathetic really

Tekken Lord

Juniors
I'm not happy about the leg pulling i have noticed it, it's crept in this year mainly in N. Hindmarsh, Cayless and PJ. I don't know why they do it, it's very obvious and results in penalties for the other team.

innsaneink

Referee
humpy said:
Argue the merits all day, but why is it that PJ Marsh seems to be involved in every niggly / bitchy incident that goes on in Parramatta games??

Because he's a screwed up grub of the highest order.

1999 said:
clutching at straws? u f*cking idiot, watch the tape, he grabs the leg, then moves down and grabs both ends of his foot for a firme grip, twists and pulls back around his body, which is why he's got a f**ked knee now, i swear every day i come on here you lot are just getting more and more stupid, its quite pathetic really

I thought Billy stated after the game he had been carrying the injury for about a month?