What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to slow a metabolism?

Simo

First Grade
Snoop said:
Hit the weights and make them BIG weights.

But just remember to keep good form and use the entire range of motion to strengthen your complete muscle.

Dont end up a bicep hero sitting 10 centimeters away from the mirror doing curls with a weight you cant even come close to lifting properly...........(unless you are specifically doing cheat sets as part of a program)

Simo

First Grade
Cupid Stunt said:
Hang on, that equates to 16 no? FFS try waiting for puberty to hit & things will start to happen... :sarcasm:

:lol:

lol, didnt notice that! You got plenty of time for some natural beefing to do. Wait til the casual beer drinking and less activity from being at work all day kicks in if your happy to put on the crappy kind of wait ;-)

Fibroman

First Grade
Up the carbs intake. Bananas are also good for putting on weight. Scoff into a bit of full cream milk, it's choc full of protein and calcium and a bit of fat in your diet wont hurt you. Eating Maccas and Red Rooster a couple of times a week won't hurt you if you are training hard.

You still need to do some cardio exercise for your heart and lungs, but switch to something like the rowing machine, which will work the large muscles in your back and quads, and is low impact on the joints.

Like a previous poster said, don't muck around with machines at the gym, stick to heavy basic movements for your chest back and legs (bench, dead lift and squats). Smaller muscles like shoulders, arms and calves require lighter weights and higher reps to grow. The important thing with weights is to lift them properly, with good technique. Try and concentrate using the right muscles to lift the weights. Start off light with a good technique and then work up to the heavier weights. When you get to the heavier weights, I recommend using wraps around your knees and elbows. Your ligaments and joints will thank you for it when you are older.

Look at your general lifestyle, and just slow down a bit in general.

macavity

Referee
Snoop said:
Hit the weights and make them BIG weights.

http://www.dr-ronlaura.com/matrix.html

doesn't have to be big weights...

im doing matrix at the moment, 3x a week for about 90mins a session, including lots of stretching and some cardio.

doing it with a fitness freak mate who trained under Ron Laura, who in turn trained Arnie....

while im focussing on weight loss in my training (so far no difference but its early days), I have quickly noticed a difference in build - im gaining very quickly on chest, arms, shoulders and also legs.

I did the big weights thing before I injured my back (2000-2003 I was right in to it, it all turned to fat in 05/06 when I was off my feet and on meds for 10 months), and IMO this (with small weights, im doing shoulder rolls with 10kg on the bar FFS!!) is building me up way, way quicker than the big weights did, and I am definately getting a more rounded work-out.

I also feel much more burn doing it this way, and my heart-rate stays up constantly during the work out.

it may not be the thing for you if you are aiming for Mr Universe size, but its certainly filling me out (in the right areas) very quickly.

Snoop

Coach
I tried the Dr. Laura method ages ago and it does work but I'm not convinced it is the fastest way. You can still see him driving the same BMW M3 we drooled over when I first met him when I was at high school.

I tried the Body For Life method last year and there were some good early results but after a month I struggled to find time. Now my brother-in-law has flogged my weights :(

11Straight

Juniors
gunning_for_panthers said:
Does anyone here know how to slow down a metabolism? Mine is one of the fastest in the world and I want to know how to slow it down as I am 183cms and 60kg I don't want to be lanky anymore.

Cheers

GFP
Sit your lanky ass on the couch and pig out

Shorty

Staff member
gunning_for_panthers said:
Does anyone here know how to slow down a metabolism? Mine is one of the fastest in the world and I want to know how to slow it down as I am 183cms and 60kg I don't want to be lanky anymore.

Cheers

GFP
What you need to do is begin a weight training/hypertrophy program.
You also need to add a whole lot more protein into your diet and eat a fast acting CHO before and after your workouts.

Basically what everyone's said here.
And Furrycat,metabolism has a whole lot to do with weight gain/weight loss.

parra_jesus

Juniors
eat alot of carbs like pasta and stuff , take weight gaining supplements before and afta a work out that also bulk you up. best bet is go to a health shop that specialize in protiens and supplments he will tell you excatly what you should do/take.

eat lots of protien and start going to the gym about 3 times a week, if u live near me ill take u to my gym and show u some work outs.

OVP

Coach
this thread could pass for a CLASSIC LU thread :)

This definitely needs to be preserved somehow :)

Latest posts