What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well will the Bulldogs do in 2012 ?

Where will Canterbury finish in 2012 ?

• 1st-4th

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • 5th-8th

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • 9th-12th

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • 13th-16th

Votes: 18 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anjado

Juniors
The Bulldogs have made the two most interesting signings for 2012. Des Hasler has proven himself to be a top shelf coach with Manly and if he can win a premiership with the Dogs he will undoubtedly be lauded as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

The Bulldog's other major signing is also an interesting on in James Graham obviously there is always a question mark about bringing in players from the Super League. You usually get what you pay for in regards to English talent.

The last for regular British internationals signed by NRL clubs have all been value for money. Morley,Ellis,Carney and Sam Burgess. So signing a player like Graham who is a proven international could end up being a massive bargain, in my opinion he is a better player than Gareth Ellis when he signed for the Tigers and he has been one of the best back rowers in the NRL for 3 seasons now.

The Bulldogs main strength is clearly in the forwards, a front row of Graham,Ennis,Tolman is superb and the envy of many sides in the competition. Eastwood will add some grunt,Pritchard will add some unpredictability and Stagg will add a monster work rate.

To me the backs look fairly weak compared to most sides in the competition. The halves situation is quite worrying Hodgkinson could blossom though back under Hasler but they paid an awful lot of money to him and Keating and to me they don't really look up to much.

Outside backs are decent without being amazing, Barba is one of the most exciting players in the competition and hopefully Josh Morris recaptures some form. I honestly think they may miss Idris he might of been a bit lazy but if he got it together he had the ability to be a very dangerous player. Turner and Goodwin are both solid first grade wingers no dramas there. Lafai and Wright i am thinking will fight out the other centre spot.

For me i am not expecting much at all this season from the dogs. They have way too many question marks and inconsistent players to say they will have a good season. I think at best they might scrape into the 8, though in reality i think they will finish about 12th.

How do you think the Bulldogs will do in 2012 ?

Big Pete

Referee
They might sneak into the 8 but I don't think they'll be competitors unless they're absolutely blessed with injuries and a couple of purple patches. So essentially a repeat of 2009.

Hasler is a good coach, but he's not the type of coach who's going to make any Cinderella transformations in his first season. There's a couple of really good prospects at Canterbury but they've been completely buried by the deadwood. The likes of Turner, Wright, Keating, Goodwin, Halatau, Payne etc. etc. are stone cold ordinary and prevent the Dogs from really being considered one of the top tier sides.

The rest are just good club players (Morris, Ennis, Tolman) or enigmatic (Barba, Pritchard). The jury is still out on both Hodkinson & Graham. Hodkinson looked comfortable for Manly in 2010 but then lost his way at Canterbury while you never know how the Poms will go in Australia. I'm confident Graham will be just fine here but I'm not sure if his and Tolman's hard work can be rewarded.

If they're to be any hope the young brigade will have to step up. The likes of Finucane, Lafai, Kasiano, Tapau and Reynolds have to make the most of the opportunity for the Dogs to be any chance. Personally, I think it's too soon and this year will be more or less a transitional year before they set themselves up for a neat little period.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
They might sneak into the 8 but I don't think they'll be competitors unless they're absolutely blessed with injuries and a couple of purple patches. So essentially a repeat of 2009.

Hasler is a good coach, but he's not the type of coach who's going to make any Cinderella transformations in his first season. There's a couple of really good prospects at Canterbury but they've been completely buried by the deadwood. The likes of Turner, Wright, Keating, Goodwin, Halatau, Payne etc. etc. are stone cold ordinary and prevent the Dogs from really being considered one of the top tier sides.

The rest are just good club players (Morris, Ennis, Tolman) or enigmatic (Barba, Pritchard). The jury is still out on both Hodkinson & Graham. Hodkinson looked comfortable for Manly in 2010 but then lost his way at Canterbury while you never know how the Poms will go in Australia. I'm confident Graham will be just fine here but I'm not sure if his and Tolman's hard work can be rewarded.

If they're to be any hope the young brigade will have to step up. The likes of Finucane, Lafai, Kasiano, Tapau and Reynolds have to make the most of the opportunity for the Dogs to be any chance. Personally, I think it's too soon and this year will be more or less a transitional year before they set themselves up for a neat little period.

Pretty fair comment overall except the comment on Halatau, he was absolute one of our best last year infact if memory serves he may of even won an award. He really looked like he found some 2005 form for us. Don't get me wrong it was well overdue and if he plays like he did in 2010 then he can go, show us his 2011 form again and i'll be very happy.

I think as the first bloke said Graham, Ennis, Tolman is as good as any 8,9,10 and with Pritchard, Eastwood, Stagg, Halatau all quality if able to keep form and the kids of Kasiano, Taupau, Finucane, Jackson, Gavet, Browne we have a pretty good pack. Along with some further depth with Payne and co.

Barba and Hodkinson will improve under Des and seeing Barba in his first year at fullback and first year starting in first grade was the leading try scorer and with a hopeless team as far as coaching and plays went i think that is going to be a scary fact for most opponents. Hodkinson needs to play like he did for Dymock for the entire year and he is a perfect halfback for us, might not be anywhere near Thurston or Cronk but is still as good as any second group halfback when on song. Des should see him play like this more time then not.

Morris and Lafai will be the centres and if Morris can find some form and Lafai continues to produce in his 2 man of the matches from 7-8 games in his first season then our centres are pretty handy. Wings aren't dangerous at all unless Lett gets a go. Turner is solid and reliable but isn't going to scare any opponents, Lett has speed to burn and the ability to find the line. Hoping Des can teach him all other parts of the game. Goodwin, Wright, McDougall all round fighting for a spot on the wing too.

If we can stay healthy and they work as a unit like Des will drill then i'm confident for a 5-8.

Big Pete

Referee
DoggiesBro said:
Pretty fair comment overall except the comment on Halatau, he was absolute one of our best last year infact if memory serves he may of even won an award.

Considering how poor the Dogs were that's hardly a glowing endorsement. He had a purple patch of 6 games where he got through a lot of work but it wasn't close to the type of form he was producing in 2005 where he was tearing top sides apart in big important matches. Considering Stagg is also in the side, there's simply no room for two average over the hill work horses.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Considering how poor the Dogs were that's hardly a glowing endorsement. He had a purple patch of 6 games where he got through a lot of work but it wasn't close to the type of form he was producing in 2005 where he was tearing top sides apart in big important matches. Considering Stagg is also in the side, there's simply no room for two average over the hill work horses.

stagg and halatau are not similar players at all.

Big Pete

Referee
Both relatively small players who get through a lot of work but rely on dummy half runs and support play for a bulk of their metres. Both are also versatile.

I'd say they'd have a fair bit in common and there's no point in carrying both.

Spot On

Coach
stagg and halatau are not similar players at all.

They are similar. Halatau probably a better ball runner.

On the Dogs, they were massively over rated from the start of last season, especially with the bookies. In the end they finished around about where they should have. The backs are a massive worry but you would think having a decent centre in Lafai now idris is gone will help there cause. Barba was diabolical at the back for the majority of last season. If he returns the ball as a good fullback should he will provide the team with good field position to start their sets - something he rarely did in 2010. A decent pack should be able to get some go forward from there. Surely the halves can't be as bad as they were last season and you would think Hodkinson will improve out of sight under Des. Smokeys for a top eight finish.

Last edited:
If the pack provides the go forward and the iffy halves combo clicks then they could be a top 8 team.

I went 9th through 12th because there's too many question marks there

adamkungl

Immortal
Good coaching and luck with injuries might sneak them into the 8 but their backline makes Cronulla's look good. Will miss the 8 by a couple of wins.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Well we finished 1 win outside the 8 last year. I don't think we could do any worse give the coach we signed!

Bulldog Force

Referee
You usually get what you pay for in regards to English talent.

The last for regular British internationals signed by NRL clubs have all been value for money. Morley,Ellis,Carney and Sam Burgess.
You forgot Gareth Widdop and Jack Reed ;)

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Yep, while Stagg is a better ball player and more active defender.

That's about it...oh except they're both ordinary players not worth boasting about.

What a stupid comment, stagg was lock of the year a couple of seasons ago, he is a quality player. He needs to stop making 50 tackles reduce it to 30 odd and have some ball playing in his game.

Halatau doesn't make anywhere near the work stagg does, he is a great hole runner and a much better option in one on one runs. Besides playing in the backrow, similar size and playing for the bulldogs they are not similar players.

Anyone who follows footy properly would know this.