What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will souths go without Reynolds?

ram raid

Bench
GI can certainly play 5/8 well enough. They might not lose that much in attack. But they can't come close to replacing his kicking game. And goal kicking obviously. Sutton, Luke, Keary and Inglis are going to have to share the responsibility between them now.

kbw

Bench
Reynolds means alot to this team but Maguire is pretty smart coach and while it will be a problem there is a chance it may not be as dire as some think.
The bit IF, is if they put Ingli$ at 5/8. His laziness and poor options in defense may cause more problems than it fixes. Although his poor defensive reads may not be as obvious in the line as they are at fullback.
The thing that won't change is that Ch9 will still keep talking him up and still keep giving him man of the match awards

Any team which loses its starting halfback is going to have some issues as they are a key component of the side. It is even more so when you consider the lack of depth most sides have at halfback.

Souths will miss Reynolds for however long he is out because of his kicking game in general play and his goal kicking. Add in the organisation of his side during the match and it is a loss.

Whilst Souths have Keary at five eight, does he have the organisational skills? I don't know myself so that is where the jury is out at the moment. As far as I know he does not possess a kicking game in general play to equal Reynolds.

I don't doubt that Souths coaching staff have a backup plan, but the main one, moving Sutton to five eight, is not available until he comes back from injury. As such it will be a bit of a revamped backline.

If it is only a few weeks, then I don't think Souths will struggle too much. If it is worse case scenario it could have a a bigger impact on Souths as regardless of what I think of Adam Reynolds as a halfback, he is a key cog for the Souths side.

Swarzey

Bench
Like I said in the match thread, he provides structure and direction. As good as the likes of Luke, Inglis and Gurgess are, South Sydney will be nothing but individual performances and that isn't enough to remain at the top of the table. Their season isn't done, but I'll be surprised if they're the same side they were in Rounds 1-3 come September.

souths_pride

Juniors
Any team which loses its starting halfback is going to have some issues as they are a key component of the side. It is even more so when you consider the lack of depth most sides have at halfback.

Souths will miss Reynolds for however long he is out because of his kicking game in general play and his goal kicking. Add in the organisation of his side during the match and it is a loss.

Whilst Souths have Keary at five eight, does he have the organisational skills? I don't know myself so that is where the jury is out at the moment. As far as I know he does not possess a kicking game in general play to equal Reynolds.

I don't doubt that Souths coaching staff have a backup plan, but the main one, moving Sutton to five eight, is not available until he comes back from injury. As such it will be a bit of a revamped backline.

If it is only a few weeks, then I don't think Souths will struggle too much. If it is worse case scenario it could have a a bigger impact on Souths as regardless of what I think of Adam Reynolds as a halfback, he is a key cog for the Souths side.

I think the thing that Souths have in their favor is that they have players who are very versatile. Luke Keary played plenty of halfback coming through the lower grades, Johnston has played fullback, Inglis has won a Clive Churchill medal at five-eight. Adam Reynolds' kicking game will be missed but I think a coach like Michael Maguire will have planned for these sorts of injuries. In fact, I'd be willing to be he had plans in place for when players in key positions get injured since he arrived at the club.

I also think the importance of Reynolds is being overstated; I've never felt that he was an organisational type of halfback. Our organisation and direction in attack comes from Issac Luke - he'd be a far bigger loss in my book than Reynolds. Aside from Reynolds' kicking game, he is competent at taking the ball to the line and ok when it comes to vision and play selection. Also, the good thing about us is that when John Sutton comes back and slots into the back row, it will allow us to play two ball playing back rowers which takes alot of pressure off our halves in that they won't always have to throw the final pass close to the opposition try line.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Souths fans 2012-last Thursday

'Adam Reynolds is the best halfback in the world, it's so unfair he doesn't get picked for origin!'

Souths fans since 6.00pm Easter Friday

'Reynolds doesn't do much, we can cover him easily'

Swarzey

Bench
I also think the importance of Reynolds is being overstated; I've never felt that he was an organisational type of halfback. Our organisation and direction in attack comes from Issac Luke - he'd be a far bigger loss in my book than Reynolds. Aside from Reynolds' kicking game, he is competent at taking the ball to the line and ok when it comes to vision and play selection. Also, the good thing about us is that when John Sutton comes back and slots into the back row, it will allow us to play two ball playing back rowers which takes alot of pressure off our halves in that they won't always have to throw the final pass close to the opposition try line.

Did....did we watch the same game three weeks ago? Souths were going to get toweled without Reynolds out there. :lol:

No surprise you became a competition heavyweight in 2012 when Reynolds had his break out season and it's no coincidence you won the premiership when Sutton was replaced in the halves.

Rhyno

First Grade
A fit and fresh Reynolds near finals time gives them a better chance to go back2back

souths_pride

Juniors
Did....did we watch the same game three weeks ago? Souths were going to get toweled without Reynolds out there. :lol:

No surprise you became a competition heavyweight in 2012 when Reynolds had his break out season and it's no coincidence you won the premiership when Sutton was replaced in the halves.

We became heavyweights due to a number of factors. Its certainly more than Adam Reynolds' rise to first grade prominence. Organisation and greater structure in attack is probably the number one reason as to why we've become a force, along with the rise and development of the Burgess brothers and some of our other forwards. The move of Greg Inglis to fullback has also been a a key reason as has Isaac Luke's brilliant form. So what I'm saying is that yes Adam Reynolds has been a contributor but he has not been the predominant reason as to why we're premiership contenders. I mean it was only last year that there was talk of us letting him go; people seem to forget how mediocre he was in the middle of last season and that we were still winning games.

So Reynolds is pretty much gone for season, we all know how important he is to south's with his kicking game and he was pretty much in career best form.

Who replaces him and how will south's go without their key player to steer the ship around?

I think you'll find it's a beat-up and Reynolds will be back in about a month. He hasn't even had scans yet.

Danish

Referee
A fit and fresh Reynolds near finals time gives them a better chance to go back2back

If he has actually done his knee to the point of needing 4 months off, that means surgery, which means he won't be fit and healthy for over a year.

I still don't believe he is that injured though. He's already had his scans and souffs aren't releasing the results. IMO he is not that hurt but they'll wait till after the judiciary

macnaz

Staff member
If he has actually done his knee to the point of needing 4 months off, that means surgery, which means he won't be fit and healthy for over a year.

I still don't believe he is that injured though. He's already had his scans and souffs aren't releasing the results. IMO he is not that hurt but they'll wait till after the judiciary

Im with you , calling it BS , im waiting for the Easter miracle recovery in the next few days.

AMD

Juniors

I was under the impression they had, fairly sure I read that he'd ruptured the lateral ligament in his knee, could be wrong though.

As for him missing long term, time will tell. Souths have looked lost in the past when he's come from the field, but that could be down to being thrown in the deep end straight up, it will be interesting to see how they go when they've prepared to be without him. His kicking game will be missed.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I get that impression too. A souths mate of mine said he came back out with the team when souths walked round thanking their fans.

Card Shark

Immortal
He was still playing after the incident, I watched the end of the game in replay, although he was limping.

ram raid

Bench
This was posted in another thread
@rlw_Mole: GREAT news for @ssfcrabbitohs fans - Moley hearing @rendiggiti aka Adam Reynolds injury may not be as serious as first thought.