What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howard Government Pledges $9 Million for Brookvale Oval

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Howard Government Pledges $9 Million for Brookvale Oval

20/11/2007
By Manly Sea Eagles

The Howard Government has today announced a $9 Million commitment towards the upgrading of Brookvale Oval. Local Member for Warringah Tony Abbott made the announcement today at Brookvale Oval flanked by Sea Eagles Chairman and Co-Owner Scott Penn and Players Jason King and Luke Williamson.
Manly CEO Grant Mayer welcomed the news but stressed that the Brookie Forever Rally on Wednesday Night is still going ahead as planned.

"Today's announcement by the Howard Government is fantastic news for Members and fans of the Sea Eagles but I stress that we are not there yet. The club supports Tony Abbott’s call for the ALP, the NSW State Government and Warringah Council to match the commitment shown today by the Liberal Party.”
“Wednesday nights Brookie Forever Rally is still on and I want to make it very clear to our Members and fans that should there be a change of Government after Saturday’s election we will have achieved nothing. Therefore we need your support on Wednesday night to show the ALP, the NSW State Government and Warringah Council that Brookvale Oval requires their assistance

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=39&newsid=2726

It is a start, lets hope the ALP and State Government also get behind us and the promised money actually comes our way. If it does, I'm not sure how much $9 million will get done, but atleast it is something and definately a step in the right direction.

nqboy

First Grade
I heard Joe Hockey was in trouble but I thought Abbott had a safe seat. If so, the ALP won't waste their dough chasing the Brookvale vote but will still win so RL will lose either way in this case.

macavity

Referee
I thought stadiums weren't a federal responsibility.

thats what honest john told us.

and he wouldnt lie, would he...?

macavity said:
I thought stadiums weren't a federal responsibility.

thats what honest john told us.

and he wouldnt lie, would he...?

last time i looked he offered money to newcastle if the state government matched it , didnt he?

nqboy said:
I heard Joe Hockey was in trouble but I thought Abbott had a safe seat. If so, the ALP won't waste their dough chasing the Brookvale vote but will still win so RL will lose either way in this case.

one thing you can count on this weekend is Abbott wont lose his seat, Hockey wont either.

macavity

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
last time i looked he offered money to newcastle if the state government matched it , didnt he?

half right.

he alluded to it
the state govt put in
and he refused to put in.

we have not recieved a cent from the fed govt.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
nqboy said:

I'm sure Abbott's seat was safe, but he had been put under a lot of pressure over this Brookvale situation and I think it was enough for him to have to act. Unless the ALP come in with a more appealing offer, then Abbott has just won my vote back, and I know I am not the only one.

It would be better if kim jong il pledged $9m in the form of 9 nuclear missiles to be launched at the sh*thole. Does $9m include new felt with wider pockets for dessie's tactical revolution ?

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Eagle_Rocker said:
“Wednesday nights Brookie Forever Rally is still on and I want to make it very clear to our Members and fans that should there be a change of Government after Saturday’s election we will have achieved nothing.

That my friends pretty much sums it up for Brooky. The pledge of $9m isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Gee_Up

Juniors
It's sad that Manly want pity when they chase and usually sign every big name player off contract they want but miraculously cannot afford to upgrade their own stadium.

On the other hand the government has given other clubs cash for upgrades so I agree the councils in particular should be financially responsible for upgrading facilities if they earn an income from it.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
themanonthehill said:
It would be better if kim jong il pledged $9m in the form of 9 nuclear missiles to be launched at the sh*thole. Does $9m include new felt with wider pockets for dessie's tactical revolution ?

:BDH: It wasn't funny the first time, and it's not the 1000th time.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Gee_Up said:
It's sad that Manly want pity when they chase and usually sign every big name player off contract they want but miraculously cannot afford to upgrade their own stadium.

On the other hand the government has given other clubs cash for upgrades so I agree the councils in particular should be financially responsible for upgrading facilities if they earn an income from it.

Are you an idiot?

Brookvale Oval is a council owned property, why should we and how could we afford to pay for an upgrade? Just because we spend up to the salary cap like every other club it doesn't mean we have a spare $18 million in the back pocket for a new grandstand on government property. We already paid for the Ken Arthurson stand back when we had a bit more money, how many other clubs have upgraded their own stadiums out of their own pocket.

Wow, I think I feel dumber for reading your post.

The arthurson stand
NAmed after a rorting prick, built by a rorting prick, to carry the name of a rorting prick
Is the cantankerous old cocksmoker not dead yet ?

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Eagle_Rocker said:
how many other clubs have upgraded their own stadiums out of their own pocket.

Serious question, does Manly lease the ground off the Council? Who pays for the maintainance /upkeep of the ground?

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
themanonthehill said:
The arthurson stand
NAmed after a rorting prick, built by a rorting prick, to carry the name of a rorting prick
Is the cantankerous old cocksmoker not dead yet ?

If you hate him so much, how about you grow a pair of testicles, get up from behind your keyboard and go down to Brookvale Oval on Wednesday night and tell him what you think of him.

Or you can stay behind your computer and spurt out the same crap like the lonely, bitter loser you are.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
LeagueLegend said:
Serious question, does Manly lease the ground off the Council? Who pays for the maintainance /upkeep of the ground?

Yes, Manly lease the ground at a ridiculous price. I would say the council pays for maintenance, but I'm not sure about that, by the looks of it no one does.