What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howard Government Pledges $9 Million for Brookvale Oval

I go to the condemed sh*thole once a year and that is enough for me thanks
If I wanted to watch some rambling, senile, irrelevant, crooked old twat speak i'll try and raise gough whitlam

macavity

Referee
pity the lieberals wont be around to actually give it out

actually, it isn't a pity at all

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
themanonthehill said:
If I wanted to watch some rambling, senile, irrelevant, crooked old twat speak i'll try and raise gough whitlam

Ok good, enjoy supporting your Tigers at their 18 home grounds next year, and leave us be while we fight for our home ground to get an upgrade.

gong_eagle

First Grade
LeagueLegend said:
Serious question, does Manly lease the ground off the Council? Who pays for the maintainance /upkeep of the ground?

Manly pays the council nearly $1 million a year to rent Brookie,

themanonthehill said:

You coming out from your cave annually is once to often for the general public to have to put up with !

Raider_69

Post Whore
themanonthehill said:

:lol: pay that
i concur, brookie is a hole and the only conceivable thing that could drag me out there more then the once a year trip to watch Canberra play, would be the chance to punch Bono in the face

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
I see that presentations will be made by Hugh Zochling and Chris Sharpe (Labor Members for Warringah and Mackeller) at the Save Brookie rally tomorrow night. Hopefully they have some good news for us also.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe the people who own the ground (I'm assuming Warringah Council) should've done better upkeep on the ground to start with. Why should the taxpayers fund a dilapidated oval in a supposedly rich area? $9 million is ludicrous.

t-ba

Post Whore
They spent $9m on Shark Park, $24m on Grahame Park...should I continue?

An Areas wealth has nothing to do with it. For an area that is apparently rich, and thus contributes more to the taxbase than poverty riddled backwaters like Gosford, surely they deserve some kind of funding?

This is an area that has no major infrastructure improvements pretty much since the Roseville and Spit Bridges were erected...Fair's fair, and its time the region got some money injected into it. I'd prefer a Rail line over a stadium upgrade, but that $9m is a drop in the bucket and it will do nicely.

Here's to labour matching the offer.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Timmah said:
Maybe the people who own the ground (I'm assuming Warringah Council) should've done better upkeep on the ground to start with. Why should the taxpayers fund a dilapidated oval in a supposedly rich area? $9 million is ludicrous.

True they should have done a better job with the upkeep, but not even our local government has put any money into the facility. The people of the Northern Beaches pay taxes just like the rest of Australia and we deserve a cut just like every where else. I have lived on the Northern Beaches all my life and have never been "rich", nor have any of my family or friends. The tax payers money goes towards upkeeping Homebush Olympic park which is used for not much more then the bulldogs and South Sydney NRL matches, under your theory, why should I contribute to that?

parra pete

Referee
I wish I lived in a marginal seat. After a redistribution, I am now in a seat held by a Liberal that requires a 17% swing to unseat her.
A safe seat in a opposition mean the area gets zilch. If the people out here had any sense they would vote for the ALP candidate to make it a swinging seat. Those seats are the ones that attract Pork Barrelling. Safe seats, and it doesn't mater which Party is in Power get SFA.

Canard

Immortal
I cant see the ALP wasting time making pledges to a stadium that is in a seat that they will never win.

Cynical I know but its a fact.

TITAN1

Juniors
Please dont shoot,but...

Seriously,does it really make sense to stay at Brookvale?

I know theres history there,but theres no public transport and parking is just about impossible,and any upgrade doesnt work if people cant get there.
Is there anywere else in the area thats more "transport friendly?"

Maybe Central Coast is the future,wouldnt the club get the relocation payment from the NRL?

Red Bear

Referee
Council over the other side of sydney harbour bridge sound sh*thouse. North Sydney was asking a huge sum of the Bears for NSo back in the day as well.

I dont think you have much chance of a trainline t-ba

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
TITAN1 said:
Please dont shoot,but...

I know theres history there,but theres no public transport and parking is just about impossible,and any upgrade doesnt work if people cant get there.

Maybe Central Coast is the future,wouldnt the club get the relocation payment from the NRL?

Getting this $9 million pledge was like getting blood from a stone, how would we get enough to build a new stadium in a "transport friendly" area? As for relocation to the Central Coast..... no!

It's our home ground, the core base of Manly fans can get to the oval with relative ease, and that is the main priority here. Plenty of opposition fans find their way to Brookie, there are bus services (albeit not the best) to and from the city for those who want to attend.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
TITAN1 said:
Please dont shoot,but...

I think if Manly were to go to the CC they would instantly lose 95% of supporters who attend the games at Brooky. Just think how hard it is to get to the CC from the Manly peninsula - impossible. Any Friday night or even Saturday night games would be a complete write-off for travelling fans. The only logical solution is a ferry/jetcat between Manly and Gosford.

That said, Brookvale really is a dump with practically no transport and parking very difficult.

It is a very sticky situation, and one the Manly council seems to be taking advantage of because they know it is very difficult for the Seagles to act, so they charge exhorbitant sums for rent.

Manly are a fairly strong club at the moment, but when things turn a bit nasty they could find it tough, as they are certainly at a disadvantage when it comes to home grounds compared to other clubs.

t-ba

Post Whore
Red Bear said:
Council over the other side of sydney harbour bridge sound sh*thouse. North Sydney was asking a huge sum of the Bears for NSo back in the day as well.

North Sydney Council treated the Bears like sh*t for most of their existance. It was funny how after the Bears left, the Council realised the money the club had brought to the area, and then they tried to get Souths to play home games across the Harbour!

I dont think you have much chance of a trainline t-ba

They've been waiting since the original plans for the Rail Network were drawn up by Bradfield. They'll probably be waiting another 80 years.

Red Bear

Referee
Pretty sure land near my grandparents that was meant for this mythical train land has been sold off and built on

t-ba

Post Whore
Red Bear said:
Pretty sure land near my grandparents that was meant for this mythical train land has been sold off and built on

Probably. The Original line was meant to be through Mosman. Land Resumption would probably run into the Billions now. Much like trying to finish off the original Eastern Suburbs line from Bondi Junction to Marourba!

The Christie Plan (Devised Earlier this decade) proposed a trainline from Chatswood along the Roseville Bridge and through to Dee Why.

The NSW government is hopeless with mass transit infrastructure. Queensland puts them to shame with the way they work through projects, and will probably have a network better capable of handling a population the Size of Sydney's in Brisbane within a decade...