What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Dragons CEO Ryan Webb has told Triple M the club will deny Ben Hunt’s request for a release after the superstar halfback sent shockwaves around the club and NRL.

In the interview Webb guaranteed Hunt would be at the Dragons in 2024 and that Hunt understood the club's decision to not grant a release. Make of that what you will.
Is Hunt professional enough to not kick stones and still try to play to the best of his ability? Your guess is as good as mine. I would consider taking the captaincy off him as he obviously has no loyalty or love for the Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee

Dragons statement regarding Ben Hunt contract​

AuthorDragons.com.audragons.com.auTimestampSun 18 Jun 2023, 02:49 PM

The Dragons can confirm that today the club received a request from the management of Ben Hunt for a release from his playing contract. This request has been denied.
“Ben is contracted through to the end of the 2025 season and is a big part of the current and future plans of the Dragons as the club builds towards achieving sustained success in the coming years,” said Dragons CEO Ryan Webb.

“We’re committed to working with Ben to understand and address his concerns as we all have the same goal of building a strong and successful club."

56to66

Juniors

The Dragons can confirm that today the club received a request from the management of Ben Hunt for a release from his playing contract. This request has been denied.
“Ben is contracted through to the end of the 2025 season and is a big part of the current and future plans of the Dragons as the club builds towards achieving sustained success in the coming years,” said Dragons CEO Ryan Webb.

“We’re committed to working with Ben to understand and address his concerns as we all have the same goal of building a strong and successful club."

I said it before James Graham and Gordan Tallis both agree with me haha, we need FLANAGAN NOW!

Illusion

Bench
So, we have no rebuttal from Ben's side that he has asked for a release.

I think that fact is now not in dispute. What the question is how the Club navigates this. Having a halfback and Captain NOT wanting to be there , is not tenable for mine.

They can put out a release next week saying that all is kosher / misunderstanding / etc etc etc, I doubt that eases my concerns.

I'm not sure where we go from here, but I would be okay with the Club agreeing to a release. You dont wanna wear this badge ? Off you go.
Agree and it puts players off side with him , which I think , has happened and if it hasn't soon will ......

maestro1

Bench
James Hooper is an absolute turd. He asked Webb if the club was concerned that they are being called a shambles. That was his rhetoric on NRL 360......and nauseum. Him and Anasta seem to be praying for Hunt to go to the Dogs. Loved Tallis's and Graham's comments. Tallis surprised and impressed me with his take on it all.

since77

Juniors
In the interview Webb guaranteed Hunt would be at the Dragons in 2024 and that Hunt understood the club's decision to not grant a release. Make of that what you will.
Is Hunt professional enough to not kick stones and still try to play to the best of his ability? Your guess is as good as mine. I would consider taking the captaincy off him as he obviously has no loyalty or love for the Dragons.
Regardless of what happens from this point forward, even if he stays, he should 100% be stripped of the captaincy. Effective immediately.

Dragons4me

Juniors

This article doesn't say when Hunt asked for a release. Flanagan's claiming he sought out Hunt before signing on. It's the timeline that's important for me. Pretty poor journalism but hardly surprising for mine.

Mjab

Juniors
Look at all players wanting to exit last 1-2 years, asking releases
Hunt
Sua
Bird
Sullivan
Sloan

possibly Lomax and Lawrie ?

who else have I missed

the club , the setup , the board , coaching all a farce

almost half a team

Sloan and Amone still look terrible at times now despite quite a few NRL games and while Sullivan has probably looked best at times doesn’t look like he can run a team or be consistent

Flanagan had better be an awesone coach

Dragons4me

Juniors

This article doesn't say when Hunt asked for a release. Flanagan's claiming he sought out Hunt before signing on. It's the timeline that's important for mine.

TruSaint

Referee
This article doesn't say when Hunt asked for a release. Flanagan's claiming he sought out Hunt before signing on. It's the timeline that's important for mine.

The article as you know from from our Club website.

Now, yes the timeline is relevant, but what is more so relevant is that the guy wants out. No one has disputed this.

Flanagan may well have spoken to Hunt to give him assurances from a coaches perspective. Does Not change the fact that as at now, he wants out. Squeeze any leverage we have out of his contract and let him go.

I, for one, don't want a leader of this Club playing under duress.

thebigredv

First Grade
I, for one, don't want a leader of this Club playing under duress.
We have a spoon to avoid. We can at least use Hunt to try and get enough wins to avoid the ultimate insult.

if we lose Hunt on top of Kerr, on top of still having not replaced Ramsay we are guaranteed last place. Strengthening the opposition and leaving ourselves without a halfback and captain is stupid.

sure Hunts heart won’t be in it but I trust him to suck it enough not to embarrass himself.

In the meantime we work something out that benefits the Dragons which allows him to take off to a new club in 2024. Flanagan isn’t going to allow players and other clubs to have their way with us like has been happening for years.

God I miss when supporting the Dragons meant discussing the on field footy. You just know the Warriors are preparing professionally for playing us next round. Meanwhile Carr would be trying to work through all this nonsense to no avail.

TruSaint

Referee
We have a spoon to avoid. We can at least use Hunt to try and get enough wins to avoid the ultimate insult.

if we lose Hunt on top of Kerr, on top of still having not replaced Ramsay we are guaranteed last place. Strengthening the opposition and leaving ourselves without a halfback and captain is stupid.

sure Hunts heart won’t be in it but I trust him to suck it enough not to embarrass himself.

In the meantime we work something out that benefits the Dragons which allows him to take off to a new club in 2024. Flanagan isn’t going to allow players and other clubs to have their way with us like has been happening for years.

God I miss when supporting the Dragons meant discussing the on field footy. You just know the Warriors are preparing professionally for playing us next round. Meanwhile Carr would be trying to work through all this nonsense to no avail.

Respectfully disagree.

Hunt wont determine whether we finish last. In fact having him onboard may gift us the spoon if his heart isn't in it.

Have a look at our finishes under Hunt. They are woeful. Good player, sure. Leader ? no way.

Most of us have been through enough bullshit for over a decade to realise that "marque" players are only worthy if they want to play for the Club.

Hunt, is no Saints leader. TBH, I hope after all of this he leaves, and we get some compensation.
Said my piece and stand by it.

He's not above the badge.

Latest posts