What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There has to be no way the Dragons release him this year-if he doesnt want to play select him in Reggies till the end of the season. If he wont play then dont pay him. We have to make sure no-one else benefits from this. Then swap him plus a lot of cash for a player we want but only from a Queensland team.We hold all the Aces here-we can make him sit on the sideline if we want. Imagine if we did how stupid he would look but sadly we'd then have to pay him but it would make his new contract value zero at 34 yrs of age. and if i had the chance id go to Wollongong just to Boo him and id do it all match.He has disgraced our club and should be shown to be the piece of shit he is. Im so glad he never signed my jersey. Sadly a lot of kids now have a useless jersey-you wouldnt be seen dead in anything saying Hunt ever again.
On another note i was going to buy a new all weather jacket but i dont want to be caught in a jacket that says St George Bank if they aint going to be there after 2024 . I bet their merchandising is plummeting in sales now with all of this

56to66

Juniors
I knew all a long it was Meninga getting into his ear and Tallis, Gordan saying shit along the lines he could be the second player to sit out a season on Triple M, Sorry the club needs to make a firm stance, not release him at all.
So everything was fine last 5 years paying him top coin, all of sudden, I am home sick, f**k off traitor, play park football!.
" Bennies a Banker"" Bennies a Banker"" Bennies a Banker"" Bennies a Banker"" Bennies a Banker"" Bennies a Banker"
" Bennies a Banker"

Last edited:

Gourley's Socks

Juniors

I hope Benny applied some handcream after this conversation.

“I would never be a guy to do that to my teammates where I just drop it and walk away."

Because loyalty extends only as far as a Friday night in Wollongong not to the rest of the season let alone the contract term.

“I have missed the support networks with family and the weather is always nice."

So we've lost a captain due to an Antarctic blast.

“There wasn’t one thing in particular, mate. It’s been a lot of stuff over a long period of time."

Apparently four weeks is a long period of time for Ben.

“He (Hook) is someone I will probably lean on in the next few weeks.”

Just two blokes reminiscing about all the times they failed to win anything.

What a complete knob.

dannyt

Coach

I hope Benny applied some handcream after this conversation.

“I would never be a guy to do that to my teammates where I just drop it and walk away."

Because loyalty extends only as far as a Friday night in Wollongong not to the rest of the season let alone the contract term.

“I have missed the support networks with family and the weather is always nice."

So we've lost a captain due to an Antarctic blast.

“There wasn’t one thing in particular, mate. It’s been a lot of stuff over a long period of time."

Apparently four weeks is a long period of time for Ben.

“He (Hook) is someone I will probably lean on in the next few weeks.”

Just two blokes reminiscing about all the times they failed to win anything.

What a complete knob.
Nice. A classic "what I say" vs. "what I mean".

ssdragon

Juniors
View attachment 75868
So it was ok for him to sign a contract 6 months ago. But now he’s home sick….get farked
He is playing the homesick card because that seems the only way he will get a release. However he wouldn’t be as “homesick” if he and his manager didn’t break anti-tampering contract laws and have a deal already lined up elsewhere. There is a clear breach here and blind freddy can see it. The NRL needs to step in with this. The other alternative is if we decide to let him go it MUST be on our terms and I say we must be compensated with a massive transfer fee much larger than the 500K the Bulldogs paid for Karl Oloapu.

dannyt

Coach
“They wanted to get me signed first to get it sorted out so they could start making recruitment decisions and it’s gone nowhere. I don’t know. It’s tough to answer.”

Perhaps Brittle Benny’s not the marquee player everyone wants to play with? Seriously though, all roads lead back to Harlan.
"Harlan" or "Haran"?

Dragon David

First Grade
If he wanted to go home for family reasons, then why not say that in the first place? The club would've been more understanding, or at least forced into be more understanding, rather than turning the whole thing into the media circus it's become.
This reason should have been Hunt's prime reason for wanting out from the outset. It is plain to see that he has brought up so many excuses to get his way and the family one is always the one that pulls on the heart string emotions and the full orchestral violins start playing.

No, he is trying to placate or make less angry all and sundry before he comes back to Wollongong in the hope that we become "sympathetic" to his cause so that he can get the release.

His excuses have been erratic and all over the place and to me his situation at the Dragons has become untenable to the point that it would be best if his request is agreed to but only on the condition that he will only play for a Queensland club and that club pays a sort of transfer fee.

There is just nothing to be gained by keeping him at the club seeing that deep down he wants out only that we will save on his salary and use it to buy some better players, in particular forwards.

He won't be playing on Friday night - no way. He will have a SOO Series win hangover to contend with as well as a "minor" injury as an excuse.

Goodbye!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
He just re-signed late last year? Why wasn't he homesick then? All he had to do was no extend and talk to clubs then? But then again it's not as if the Dolphins chased him? I never heard him linked only others like Munster, Ponga or Latrell. The Titans did not have 900k available then either so it seems. All of a sudden they have freed up some cash to tempt him.

So Ben will confide in Hook. The guy Saints gave an extension to prove himself when they could have easily sacked him last year, he failed again and is now dirty on them and is telling Ben to leave.

If he goes to Qld I am fine with that. He was always going to go back. The recruitment line I understand and it is clear he is having a dig at Haran and the club but what can they do seeing they had not decided on Hook which was dumb. It should have been sorted in the offseason. This may work out as Haran may get the boot here which is what a lot of people on this forum want but it is at the expense of Ben Hunt.

The only thing that I can see turn this around and Hunt stays is if Haran gets booted asap and Flanno makes all these moves in the background and announces a few players coming in next year which may temp Hunt to stay. A lot will depend on what happens on Mondays meeting.

If Saints put him as captain the media will say what a circus, they put a guy who clearly does not want to be there as capt. If the drop him as capt the media will say what a basket case of a club, their best player and they strip him of his captaincy. As if Saints can win either way with this. The will get bashed with whatever decision they make.

Meanwhile the well run clubs talk behind our backs to get Hunt out of his deal breaking all NRL anti-tampering rules. Thanks for the support NRL. They are really showing how much they care about the most popular team in the world of Rugby League. I heard the other day a team was about to win it's 11th title in European soccer and they mentioned that only 1 team has won a title 11 times in a row. A team called St George in Australia in their rugby League competition. If only they knew how this club is being treated by the sporting organisation it represents.

If it is my choice, Ben will be hooker for the rest of the season and Sullivan at 7, Amone at 6. Only around 10 games to go and Saints best chance of avoiding the spoon. After that he can go back and play 7 for whoever gets him.

Draginzaaar

Bench
There has to be no way the Dragons release him this year-if he doesnt want to play select him in Reggies till the end of the season. If he wont play then dont pay him. We have to make sure no-one else benefits from this. Then swap him plus a lot of cash for a player we want but only from a Queensland team.We hold all the Aces here-we can make him sit on the sideline if we want. Imagine if we did how stupid he would look but sadly we'd then have to pay him but it would make his new contract value zero at 34 yrs of age. and if i had the chance id go to Wollongong just to Boo him and id do it all match.He has disgraced our club and should be shown to be the piece of shit he is. Im so glad he never signed my jersey. Sadly a lot of kids now have a useless jersey-you wouldnt be seen dead in anything saying Hunt ever again.
On another note i was going to buy a new all weather jacket but i dont want to be caught in a jacket that says St George Bank if they aint going to be there after 2024 . I bet their merchandising is plummeting in sales now with all of this
I still have my Penfolds jerseys, I don't care they are not the sponsor now.

If the Dragons are to release Hunt, it has to be on terms favourable for the club. Reason is if they just give way, it means anyone else currently at the club, or who signs in the future, will know that if a better offer comes up they can easily force their way out as the Board and officials are pushovers. That is the issue here for your club.

Someone up thread brought up SBW walking out on the Bulldogs. Yes it was, in my opinion, a dick move by him, but the Bulldogs did get something out of it as he had to buy out his whole contract (IIRC) not just a partial payment for the remainder of that season like Hunt supposedly has offered.

In the longer term, I think your club will probably be better off without him as he is not a long term halfback, and these days is better suited to hooker. Also it will give your club some good cap room to use for retention and recruitment.

Victoire

Juniors
If the Dragons are to release Hunt, it has to be on terms favourable for the club. Reason is if they just give way, it means anyone else currently at the club, or who signs in the future, will know that if a better offer comes up they can easily force their way out as the Board and officials are pushovers. That is the issue here for your club.

Someone up thread brought up SBW walking out on the Bulldogs. Yes it was, in my opinion, a dick move by him, but the Bulldogs did get something out of it as he had to buy out his whole contract (IIRC) not just a partial payment for the remainder of that season like Hunt supposedly has offered.

In the longer term, I think your club will probably be better off without him as he is not a long term halfback, and these days is better suited to hooker. Also it will give your club some good cap room to use for retention and recruitment.
This is obvious, but worth repeating. I don't believe Hunt will be released instantly and probably not this year at all. But either way, the club holds quite a few of the cards here, and can not give them up so easily by just cutting him loose.