What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dannyt

Coach
I have known for ages who the problem within us and heard many a gripe from those who believe they know. The master deck chair himself Ban Haran. But I have not got to the bottom of who keeps appointing him in higher and higher honours within and why
I assumed his partner? is related to a BOD. That could not be could it?
I am not sure some of the player revolt in recent times is fact as this twitter states. After the last week yeh I can see his teammates being peeved.
And whilst being honourable Flanno in the media towards Ben and trying to convince him I will see how you do with that but it is a false dawn if you are hoping Dragons fans will put all this to the side if he plays on Friday night.
Over to you all including me who will be on the hill. I wont be booing or throwing barbs IF he plays but I bet surrounding me it will be vocal.
That particular tweeter is a poster on JA who has very good inside information on the club. He's keeping tight-lipped about some facts, but he has a great track record.

BLM01

First Grade
That particular tweeter is a poster on JA who has very good inside information on the club. He's keeping tight-lipped about some facts, but he has a great track record.
So what maybe he has got some inside info or finds out stuff before many others. There a few prople that do. But does not mean all the facts are correct. These forums are full of all us people speculating
How do you know he keeps tight lipped?.
Whilst I like what he said and agree with it from the outside pretty scathing attack on Haran publicly

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
There is no way Hunt can run out into that field on Friday and expect a gracious entry. This is one of the lowest acts especially by a team captain ever. I will be venting my anger to you BH and for the way you robbed this club and held it to ransom over the years. You are truly an embarrassment to yourself and our great club. I have seen cowardly acts before but this rates as one of the worst.

Interesting indeed. If Hunt is actually ‘refusing’ to play then the club has a clear case to sue him for breach of contract.
So, I would tell him we want him to play, then commence civil action agains him for his failure to fulfil his side of the contract. That way, he won’t play for any side (because it would weaken any attempt to challenge the club‘s case) and nor will we have to pay him, pending the decision of the court.

It is not that easy I'm afraid. Whilst it is a contract, it is an employment contract, and at law, it is well established you cannot force an employee to do something as basically that is considered slavery (for want of a better term). So you would not get any damages awarded against him, nor any orders forcing him to play. If though he refuses to play, the dragons would be well within its rights to not pay him as (assuming that is part of his contract) that is where he has breached it. Additionally, if he attempted to play another professional sport, or with another NRL/SL club, the Dragons would be able to get an injunction preventing it.

On matters like this, employment law takes precedence over straight contract law.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
What sort of performance would we get out of him if he plays. The Dragons are in a no win situation with this. No matter how badly the club was you stick with your mates. You fight to make things better and you don’t cut and run. And to think on ANZAC day he represented our club. Makes my blood boil

corvettedragon

Juniors
I haven't heard this mentioned yet. What gets me is that he has been paid 3/4 of his $1million, but has only played 1/2 the season. So he really owes us 500k for the rest of this season, not the 150k he is offering to leave. And that doesn't include the compensation eg player swap or otherwise monetary, i think 250k at least, for getting out the next 2 years.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just a thought but what if Ryles backflipped because of Hunt? He saw what was coming. Hunt adamant he wants to be halfback or else, Ryles wanted him at hooker, BOD said give Hunt whatever he wants and Ryles then says, it hasn't been working now with him at 7 why would he continue to play him there and then risk getting the boot? If so can you blame him. Flanno then gets in and says I can make it work with Hunt at 7 but too late, horse has bolted? Dogs promising him 7 could be what triggered all of this. They definitely planted the seed and good on Sullivan for sticking with the Dragons as they went for him first.

To be honest, if he was keen on the Dogs, he would not have extended and could have left at the end of the season with no dramas. Surely he did not expect Hook will be extended. Unless Dogs offered him less than what Saints ended up offering him and they have now upped the anti with the movement of Averello and Alamoti. The fact Titans are in has him now interested so they should be favourites as he made a cryptic remark saying how much he loves Qld? I have a small feeling Brooks may be moving to the Dogs.

Flanno said he has staff coming in to help him and they will be announced in a couple of weeks so Flanno's load will be much less once these guys come on board whilst he is at Manly. Apparently they are at clubs now so the delay is because of that. I am thinking it could be John Morris? Pretty sure he was close with Flanno in the Sharks days. Maybe Browny to be announced as well (I hope). Flanno's already recruiting staff and it has only been a week since confirmed.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I haven't heard this mentioned yet. What gets me is that he has been paid 3/4 of his $1million, but has only played 1/2 the season. So he really owes us 500k for the rest of this season, not the 150k he is offering to leave. And that doesn't include the compensation eg player swap or otherwise monetary, i think 250k at least, for getting out the next 2 years.
they start getting paid from 1 november ..know its odd , but it covers also pre season

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting indeed. If Hunt is actually ‘refusing’ to play then the club has a clear case to sue him for breach of contract.
So, I would tell him we want him to play, then commence civil action agains him for his failure to fulfil his side of the contract. That way, he won’t play for any side (because it would weaken any attempt to challenge the club‘s case) and nor will we have to pay him, pending the decision of the court.
A most interesting read , so the sod asked for a release when Griffo was given his marching orders , and by so doing pissed-off his teammates who did agree to work together .

And according to this article he has played his last game in the Big Red V .

It would seem that the Dragons have little chance of convincing this man to remain ( read article by Apollo ).

So as many have already said , the club should get as much money from him and his new club as possible and then move on afresh without the stigma of players such as Hunt staining the club’s good name .

TruSaint

Referee
I remember a few years back reading Ben's wife struggle with social media bashing, and some of the remarks were indeed bullying, and personal.

Any attack on Ben hunt, re his timing, deception re Hook, and immediate departure is a self inflicted wound.

So long as the posts aren't threatening or involve his family, then he's free game for honest critique.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I remember a few years back reading Ben's wife struggle with social media bashing, and some of the remarks were indeed bullying, and personal.

Any attack on Ben hunt, re his timing, deception re Hook, and immediate departure is a self inflicted wound.

So long as the posts aren't threatening or involve his family, then he's gree game for honest critique.
I don’t think it’s a secret that I admire your moral compass mate.

Over the last few days I’ve struggled to feel any sympathy for Hunt. It’s kind of validating that you feel similarly.

getsmarty

Immortal
Its interesting... will he come out and make a statement to the contrary....

he may have to be comfortable being uncomfortable....

If he wants to move on... ask full fright and player compensations....

Why should we as a club suffer...
its a business and that being the case...The Dragons as a brand are a business ( although one wonders ).... so its time for them to dig in and only allow a release if we get what we want.

I will add to the above comments...don't agree with the booing or personal attacks on him or his family...

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors

So long as the posts aren't threatening or involve his family, then he's gree game for honest critique.
Which is unlikely in todays social media world. You just have to read some of the comments in this forum.

True_Believer

Juniors
A most interesting read , so the sod asked for a release when Griffo was given his marching orders , and by so doing pissed-off his teammates who did agree to work together .

And according to this article he has played his last game in the Big Red V .

It would seem that the Dragons have little chance of convincing this man to remain ( read article by Apollo ).

So as many have already said , the club should get as much money from him and his new club as possible and then move on afresh without the stigma of players such as Hunt staining the club’s good name .
Who knows what the truth is. There's an article posted after that that contradicts that twitter post. I think people are just guessing and trying to jag the "scoop" at this stage.

Latest posts