What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qld redvee

Juniors
How can they have a disgruntled captain of the team stay on and play yep he has a contract , but cant see him staying no matter what they say ...... If it was me work out a deal and piss him off ...... He has done his dash with me ........
This way we don't help the Bronx and we have all the bargaining power.. and Benny has to keep playing decent for soo selection and keep his reprtedly 900k salary from the titans..

Generalzod

Immortal
Say he is granted a release and goes to the Donkeys the majority of payments will be be paid by the Dragons so how will this affect the donkeys salary cap…

Mojo

Bench
Some on here saying the BOD had shown good old fashioned balls by not accepting his immediate release so they have time to negotiate a deal to suit the club, re player transfers, sitting out the season etc. But their words '' we expect Hunt to see out his current contract'' that means '24/25, does not spell that to me. It spells that they dont intend to sack him, move him to Ressies, remove his captaincy, they are saying that they intend him to stay and with his reputation in tact. That is not showing balls, it is rolling over!!
What would you call it if they just caved and donated him to the Broncs?
Obviously they'll be trying to get fair compensation for him to leave. They're not going to compromise their position by saying 'we've decided to keep him for the time being and hope something good happens down the track'.

sammymills

Juniors
After I heard the news this morning I didn't know whether to laugh or cry tbh.........now it's sunk in:
Laugh because the Board grew some, Hunt never got his own way and neither did the Donkeys

Cry because we've still got him and he doesnt want to be here

But let's not get to excited just yet folks there will be a twist in all this you can bet on it
That’s exactly how I feel.

56to66

Juniors
After I heard the news this morning I didn't know whether to laugh or cry tbh.........now it's sunk in:
Laugh because the Board grew some, Hunt never got his own way and neither did the Donkeys

Cry because we've still got him and he doesnt want to be here

But let's not get to excited just yet folks there will be a twist in all this you can bet on it
At least they can provide some sort of entertainment, better than what they have dished up in the last 4 years on the paddock.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Some on here saying the BOD had shown good old fashioned balls by not accepting his immediate release so they have time to negotiate a deal to suit the club, re player transfers, sitting out the season etc. But their words '' we expect Hunt to see out his current contract'' that means '24/25, does not spell that to me. It spells that they dont intend to sack him, move him to Ressies, remove his captaincy, they are saying that they intend him to stay and with his reputation in tact. That is not showing balls, it is rolling over!!
Maybe at this early stage its 1 ball at a time

'we've decided to keep him for the time being and hope something good happens down the track'.
Obviously not as that is showing their cards. They could have worded it "we have no intention of granting him an early release" and not mention the other part about seeing out his contract, that way not revealing all. Surely that would make us fans feel more confident that he is on the way out after this season. Then if they intended releasing him at season end mention the other at that time. .

Last edited:

Phantom V

Juniors
The fact that BOD did not say "we have no intention of granting him an early release" and not mention the other part about seeing out his contract, would make me feel more confident that he is on the way out after this season.
Hopefully this decision was made to entice the Titans or Broncos to come to the table with reasonable offers involving swaps and $$. Surely our BOD and new coach realise this bloke will just be a stain for the rest of the playing group as long as he’s around.
I suspect Bennys manager will be earning his money in the coming weeks. As others have said, this isn’t over!

This Year?

Immortal
Say he is granted a release and goes to the Donkeys the majority of payments will be be paid by the Dragons so how will this affect the donkeys salary cap…
I think Broncos had enough left in their cap which would cover the rest of his games this season.
SMH link here reports 300k, but I read somewhere else 200k.
IIIRC he gets approx 20k per game.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Down the track if it comes down to compensation if Hunt goes then I'd prefer the $$$$$.......If player swap enters the equation then we will mored than likely end up with players that dont want to be here....and I might add in most cases they wont be players of value unfortunately.

qld redvee

Juniors
It won't affect as the contract with Bronx is from "now" until end October so about 250 to 300 k.. I'm sure they can scrape that up with a nice 3rd party deal or 2.. say Ray white real estate and Grace brothers removals..

Mojo

Bench
That is showing their cards. They could have worded it "we have no intention of granting him an early release" and not mention the other part about seeing out his contract, that way not revealing all. Surely that would make us fans feel more confident that he is on the way out after this season. Then if they intended releasing him as season end mention the other at that time. .
I think we're getting caught-up with semantics. I didn't say they should say 'we've decided to keep him for the time being and hope something good happens down the track'; I said they wouldn't say such a thing.

The statement they made is that he has a long forward contract with us and we're not releasing him. I consider this to be reasonable. Obviously, we will release him when we receive an acceptable offer, which needs to take into consideration that he signed up with us, only 8 months ago, to a long contract into the future. Now, compensate us reasonably if you want him.

Latest posts