What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s all a bit strange. Hunt extended when he would have known there was little chance Hook remaining as coach. So why ask for a release now, what’s changed?

Why don’t one of these so called journalists, Weidler, Hoops etc just go straight to Hunt and ask him? We have heard everyone’s take on things, but not the man himself.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Catch 22. Grant him a release and we look like a soft touch or keep him knowing he doesn’t want to be around. I say cut him loose and use the money to sign blokes that want to play for us. He’s not worth the coin we were paying him anyway.
Grant him a release and we've set a dangerous precedent. Any player who wants out, or gets a better offer, will just cite the Hunt scenario. I prefer that people who sign with us do so, knowing full well their obligations to the club.

Gardenia

Juniors
Think about the timing of his release request. Does it behind the back of his teammates and coach, whilst at origin camp. Gutless, arrogant and rude. Piss poor leadership from a so called captain.
If he ends up at another club, I want our fans to give it to him big time when he comes to Kogarah and Wollongong as a traitor.
In the meantime I hope the blues SMASH Qld . Come on Freddy fire the boys up

True_Believer

Juniors
It’s all a bit strange. Hunt extended when he would have known there was little chance Hook remaining as coach. So why ask for a release now, what’s changed?

Why don’t one of these so called journalists, Weidler, Hoops etc just go straight to Hunt and ask him? We have heard everyone’s take on things, but not the man himself.
Why would you when saints fans will just click on the headline? It's more money!!!

Gardenia

Juniors
I thinkbthis is just a rehash from a couple of weeks ago when Griffin was axed.

His chat since hasn't convinced me he wants to be here and so it is time to let him go?

However:

If you want an early release then it has to be a player swap:

Dogs - swap for Burton
Titans - swap for Tino
Cows - swap for Robson
Broncos- swap for Haas or Cobbo

Nothing less than that.

Give him his release but not for 6 weeks and make the wally play reserve grade for those 6 weeks. If true behind his team mates back and hes the captain - dick move.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Flanagan is adamant no release will be entertained.

"From the club's perspective, Ben Hunt will be there," Flanagan told radio station 2GB's Continuous Call Team.

"He's got a contract. I spoke to Ben before I actually signed because I didn't want to become the Dragons coach and then (have) our halfback wanting out of the club, and he was fine with all that if I was to get the job.

Rugby League is a business and Flanno understands the business. He had done it previously at Sharks. Obviously there is a club that wants Hunt. maybe it is Bulldogs or maybe it is Titans or even some other club that we don't know yet. Anyway, our club is at box seat here and can wait till the club that wants Hunt comes to negotiation table.

One thing for sure, Hunt is our captain for the last few years and under his captaincy we did not make finals and looks like we are headed for wooden spoon this year. This captain is jumping the ship before it sinks.

RedVee_8

Juniors
If true let the c, I mean H….. unt go. Ask for a non negotiable huge transfer fee and buy some forwards. Is this the 3rd captain in a row that’s wanted out of the club? Widdop, McInnes, now this clown. Some people don’t deserve to captain this team…..
And Frizzell

BLM01

First Grade
Bronson X won't be the same player off the juice.
Taylah May is a winger.
Burton is a centre.
Chricton is not a fullback.
Hunt is not an organising half he is a hooker.
Matt Lodge is declining.
If he genuinely wants a crack at a premiership he would go to the Broncos as a 9.
He won't be winning one soon if he goes to The Dogs or Titans.
It is the older bother Tyrone May the utility they are talking to

BLM01

First Grade
Ben Hunt, Viliame Kikau has hardly played, Stephen Crichton, Bronson Xerri, Matt Lodge, Taylan May, Karl Oloapu is developing nicely. That is a vastly stronger team from the one fighting us for the spoon. I'm sure Gus will add one or two more. For the dogs, they have missed a quality half. Ben Hunt is the missing piece to a real premiership chance
You keep referring to the wrong May brother

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
If true let the c, I mean H….. unt go. Ask for a non negotiable huge transfer fee and buy some forwards. Is this the 3rd captain in a row that’s wanted out of the club? Widdop, McInnes, now this clown. Some people don’t deserve to captain this team…..

Or maybe leading the rabble is so painful that they all want to flee.

Murfy

Juniors
I guess Flanagan will try his best to persuade him after Origin camp. Not sure how successful he will be.

I’d love to hear Hunts motives for the release. Very fond of griffin, doesn’t want to go through a rebuild, and wants to win a premiership. Under Griffin we were the worst team in the comp? Why would you want to continue with him as coach? now with rumours of him speaking with the dogs, tigers and titans it’s confusing because non of those teams are in a better position than us. I would be ropable if we released him to Sydney club. I think that maybe he wants to return to south east qld, which I can kind of understand. Still doesn’t explain why he signed the extension but moving back home with his young family is probably extremely appealing.

If hunt stands his ground with this talk of a release I would do it under 2 conditions.
1- We release him on the basis that he moves to a QLD club (broncos, dolphins or titans)
2- we get an origin calibre and/or a potential gun in return

Someone like Fotuaika, Fermor, Piakura would be ideal.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
The Dream Team ........ Price , Mary , Hook ........ What a package ........

Didn't fit the script for the game

BEN HUNT HAS DENIED ASKING FOR A RELEASE
17/6/23 8:48pm
Chat2GB
Ben hunt has denied asking for a release and an ‘informed source’ is suggesting the rumour was started by someone from within the NSW camp. A ‘spokesperson’ from the QLD team is saying both Hunt and coach Slater are very upset at NSW stooping to these tactics

View attachment 75693
if this is the case as a St. George Illawarra supporter and a NSW supporter I want the NRL to investigate this fully. I want this person no matter which club or media outlet held accountable and publicly and fully reprimanded - to even be de credited.
Over to you NRL