What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

matPORTS

Juniors
I want to give some credit where it is due - and say congrats to Ryan Webb & the Board (in consultation with Shane Flanagan) for holding firm on this one.

While it will, no doubt, continue to be a distraction that we don't really need - there is absolutely no need to rush this. If we move him on this year it's a negative net benefit to us (we would gain absolutely nothing from a player swap as we really aren't going too much higher or lower from our current ladder position - this is reality unfortunately).

We hold all the cards - and must absolutely ensure that not only a full investigation has taken place into any potential anti-tampering breaches by other clubs, but any compensation as a result of Hunt indeed moving on for 2024/2025 comes our way (be it in the form of player swaps or financial compensation).

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors
What would you realistic be happy with in a player swap for hunt with the titans?

Imo mofo/tino/d.fifita/brimson is unrealistic.

I love fermor, so happy to get him. He fills a need with left edge, athletic, big, good defensively & looks fit. Imo Sexton could be a very good halfback. They haven't developed him properly. Fermor + sexton or a young middle would be good imo.
I'd love Fermor but he's signed to 26 so there's no incentive for him to accept the swap. I reckon we need another metre eating prop, if not a star like Tino or Fotuaika then at least a hardened first grader ... Jaimin Jolliffe or Isaac Liu are probably the only contenders.

Heres my proposal: Titans need to free space to accommodate Hunt. They give us Jolliffe or Liu, and Toby Sexton goes to the Storm, to replace Jonah Pezet who signs with us on a big chunk of Ben Hunt's money.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
How long are we going to stuff around with our young guys? We're not going to play finals this year. Our new coach isn't even coming on-deck until next year. Captain Deadshit doesn't want to be here. Bird was beneath dreadful last week. He should be dropped.
Give Sullivan the 7 jersey.
We have an opportunity to experiment with some combinations. We have nothing to lose (not even our pride, right now).
Let's shuffle the deck a little.
I'm with you on all counts ...you can even rearrange deck chairs on a submarine if you want to

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What would you realistic be happy with in a player swap for hunt with the titans?

Imo mofo/tino/d.fifita/brimson is unrealistic.

I love fermor, so happy to get him. He fills a need with left edge, athletic, big, good defensively & looks fit. Imo Sexton could be a very good halfback. They haven't developed him properly. Fermor + sexton or a young middle would be good imo.
I don't think we would get much out of the Titans with tight arse Hasler in charge.....the bloke cant even afford a decent suit and a haircut

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Some interesting comments on 100% Footy tonight the topic came up about Hunt and todays decision and according to Gould he reckons that Hunt was always going to finish this year with The Dragons and the rumours about him going to The Donkeys was all scuttlebug. ( if you can believe everything Gus says) he reckons he wouldn't be surprised if Hunt doesnt complete his full contract with us till 2025 and then ride of into the sunset and retire back to where he wants to live.....I thought yes it would be just like Gould to start planting those seeds to back everyone off with their cheque books then making a play for Hunt at the Dogs in 24/25..........The panel was talking compensation for Hunt if he leaves re player swapping etc and Michael Chammers raised a good point in that because we thought Hunt was with us till the end of 25 we havnt bothered looking or pursuing anyone of his quality for the past few years and any that were are now committed to other clubs

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Analysis: Dragons can use Hunt to bleed Broncos, Titans dry​

While the stalemate between Ben Hunt and the Dragons remains delicately poised, it’s clear St George Illawarra holds a powerful position over the halfback and his Queensland suitors, writes BRENT READ. SUBSCRIBE for the full analysis.

My take on all this is we need $$$$$ not swappsies....if we play swappsies we get blokes that are fairly ordinary and really dont want to be here.....now on the other hand if we get $$$$$ and lots of it we can add decent players to our roster that want to be here....and further if we don't get lots of $$$$$$ we will end up with cheap used by journeymen that are discards from other clubs like we have previously

dragon thomo

Juniors
Fotuaika and the young winger they have that has plenty of speed.
Also for me its a big NO for Lomax to play fullback. He is to slow for Centre nether alone Fullback.
If Lomax and Bird want out then the both of them can leave.
Alomoti from the Dogs would be a good replacement

getsmarty

Immortal
My take on all this is we need $$$$$ not swappsies....if we play swappsies we get blokes that are fairly ordinary and really dont want to be here.....now on the other hand if we get $$$$$ and lots of it we can add decent players to our roster that want to be here....and further if we don't get lots of $$$$$$ we will end up with cheap used by journeymen that are discards from other clubs like we have previously

Flanno is a good operator....He knows what he is doing.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree BSE , the Dragons should go for as much money as is possible should the man be granted a release at seasons end .

If a player of true quality is part of the deal then that’s fine , still ending a contract 2 season early then there would have to be some financial gain as well .

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I'd love Fermor but he's signed to 26 so there's no incentive for him to accept the swap. I reckon we need another metre eating prop, if not a star like Tino or Fotuaika then at least a hardened first grader ... Jaimin Jolliffe or Isaac Liu are probably the only contenders.

Heres my proposal: Titans need to free space to accommodate Hunt. They give us Jolliffe or Liu, and Toby Sexton goes to the Storm, to replace Jonah Pezet who signs with us on a big chunk of Ben Hunt's money.

Agreed. Mofo only comes to us if we pay a massive premium imo. His contract finishes at the end of 2024, could we tempt him with a 4yr, 700k/yr deal? Say start it 2023 with an immediate swap for hunt in 2023. We've apparently offered him 600-650 in the past.

56to66

Juniors
Hopefully people like Jabba the Hutt, Jimmy Hooper and clubs like the Donkeys can back off and leave the Dragons alone!!!

Last edited:

Ghostrider22

Juniors
In
Hopefully people like Jabba the Hutt, Jimmy Hooper and clubs like the Donkeys can back off and leave the Dragons alone!!!
In Flanno we trust, Shane making all the right moves at the moment

Latest posts