What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Something tells me this story has calmed, but only until the end of the season.
Hard to know who and what to believe, but Chammas said last night that Hunt had not asked for a release for the remainder of this season, it was more about wanting out at the end of 2023.
At least by doing that, he can see what Flanagan will bring to the club via recruitment and support coaches and other football staff.
Just me, but as at right now, I think Hunt will still be gone at the end of this season.

qld redvee

Juniors
Hard to know who and what to believe, but Chammas said last night that Hunt had not asked for a release for the remainder of this season, it was more about wanting out at the end of 2023.
At least by doing that, he can see what Flanagan will bring to the club via recruitment and support coaches and other football staff.
Just me, but as at right now, I think Hunt will still be gone at the end of this season.
So in hunts mind an immediate release means in about 4 months time.. geez he sacked all the journos into thinking it meant I'm not coming back..Benny you are trying to back peddle and change stories at an alarming rate

SEAT 1A

Bench
Broncos not wanting Hunt now so he definitely will be at the Dragons for the rest of the year. Flanno has said that Hunt will also play a big part with the Dragons in 2024. So, things should settle down and our guys and club can concentrate on the remaining games in 2023.

So much for the BNE "we haven't spoken or made contact with Ben". Now, it's "we don't want him". Pipe dream however, a kick in the guts for Ben and one team down.

Will be interesting to see how much the Titans are prepared to loose to get their man and if they end up saying "we don't want him".

Can't see Ben and the Dragons putting things to bed and staying.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Doesn't work that way, any money we get from a Transfer fee doesn't go onto our salary cap, salary cap is about $12m the NRL basically gives all clubs a "grant" of approx $12m which is used for the Salary Cap, so any transfer fee could be used to prop up our pathways, used to purchase equipment or buy Crownies, can't be used for the salary cap to purchase players, unless we start handing out brown paper bags..
That's interesting I wasn't aware of that if what your saying is correct.....my understanding was you can do whatever you like with the transfer fee money as long as your purchases remain under our total salary cap....I guess it's always open for abuse in some areas ....whatever the outcome Im sure Flanagan with his experience will sort it

56to66

Juniors
How about this for a scenario, Flanno says to Ben, give it another 12 months under my coaching, if we are not playing a much better brand of footy and winning games, we'll be happy to let you go.
That gives him the opportunity go to either the Donkeys or Tits, mid next year.
Now thats Fair Game for both parties!

Last edited:
Im just wondering if SF really meant “ Ben we want you for the next 2.5 yrs not just this year”, so he’s not looking for a new No7. I guess we wont know until years end just whats happened. Id love to know what was said at the players meeting. Theres been nothing said about that (that im aware of). Be great to get an inside report of thar

Dragon David

First Grade
So much for the BNE "we haven't spoken or made contact with Ben". Now, it's "we don't want him". Pipe dream however, a kick in the guts for Ben and one team down.

Will be interesting to see how much the Titans are prepared to loose to get their man and if they end up saying "we don't want him".

Can't see Ben and the Dragons putting things to bed and staying.
So I'm thinking for Hunt's desire to move back to Queensland-

The Broncos don't need Hunt now as they would have wanted him for the rest of this year and the Dragons won't release him ;
The Titans have a decent squad - many good halves and a reliable hooker in Verrills and I'm not convinced that Des would want Hunt at his age and on the money that he is currently being paid by us in any case;
The Dolphins haven't shown any interest and I don't think Bennett wants him;
The Cowboys could have a slight interest in him to replace Townsend, who could be of use at our club but again not on the money we are paying him.

So I have some doubt that he will be in too much demand up north after this year.

Would there be any interest from the NSW/ACT based teams? The clubs needing a good half back are maybe the Bulldogs, Tigers, Roosters and I don't think that these clubs would pick him up as I think that Flanno will have a better squad for Hunt to direct which means that he will hang in until his contract expires and he retires. What's the use in unsettling his family going to a Sydney based team with maybe only one being able to win a premiership in a year or two's time and that is the Roosters of which again for his age not worth the money.

All my opinion only so please don't be too harsh on me.

thebigredv

First Grade
1687862439937.png

Broncos posted this 3 days ago and then back track today with the CEO saying "we only enquired as to his availability".

Thought they had him in the bag but didn't realise they and Hunt's management would be held accountable for breaking the rules.
And people think the big rich clubs don't bully others...

Best part of this:
1. Broncos didn't steal their man after-all (I honestly think Hunt would have made them unstoppable)
2. Hunt has magnified the spotlight on the club and the board not to let us fail and miss finals any longer.

This could actually turn out alright regardless of how long Hunt stays.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I can tell you one really good front rower who we should chase. He left the NRL quite young and in fabulous form .......

Siosiua Taukeiaho​

View attachment 76102

A good player in the NRL but he'll be 32 start of next year. We've missed the boat on him unless we want to repeat our mistakes of getting old, past their prime players. I would rather go after another Rooster young gun middle, Siua Wong. Athletic, powerful big bodied middle. Exactly the type of player we need in our pack.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Hunt will likely go to the titans in the off-season. Next year will be a good opportunity to trial the Amone/Sullivan combo in the halves, as we're still tied up with contracts until end of next year. 2025 is when we'll see proper change with turnover of players at the end of 2024 & Flanno establishing his gameplan.

When we swap players for Hunt, we need to make sure those players fit Flannos gameplan & address our current weaknesses. Ideally I would love to get 2 of the following players from the titans (tbh they might need to let them leave to accommodate Hunt's salary):

In order of preference
1. Moe Fotuaika - contract expires end of 2024, perfect middle for us. Happy to offer him 650+/year on a 4 year deal
2. Beau Fermor - contracted till 26, coming off a serious injury. Hunt salary might mean titans have to let the likes of Fermor leave. Big, powerful, athletic 2rf. Fills a massive need.
3. Phillip Sami - expiring end of 2024, an absolute speedster, has rep experience & in his mid 204,4. s
4. Tanah Boyd - Young half/hooker, good dependable player. A genuine utility imo.

saintmar

Juniors
View attachment 76111

Broncos posted this 3 days ago and then back track today with the CEO saying "we only enquired as to his availability".

Thought they had him in the bag but didn't realise they and Hunt's management would be held accountable for breaking the rules.
And people think the big rich clubs don't bully others...

Best part of this:
1. Broncos didn't steal their man after-all (I honestly think Hunt would have made them unstoppable)
2. Hunt has magnified the spotlight on the club and the board not to let us fail and miss finals any longer.

This could actually turn out alright regardless of how long Hunt stays.
Wonder if the NRL was pressured by outside forces with other agendas concerning our playing roster.
Suddenly Brisbane are warned off signing Hunt.
Hunt has no option but to stay.
Unfortunately we are not smart enough to release him prior to this.
Then what happens next to our best junior(s)?
Hmm!Let's wait and see.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I like in Flanno's interview on 2GB he mentions in the end that he has no doubt all this came about because clubs were speaking to him or something like that which is so true. Dogs started this and the others followed.

Dogs should be paying 50% of Hunts Salary out of their cap for the next 2 years, Titans 30% and Bronco's 20%. See how they like it. Saints then get a cool 900k or so in the cap to spend.

It really shows a lack of respect to the Saints club. When they were struggling Saints did not show any "expesssions of interest" in their players. Next year if Saints are flying and Dogs are down due to a dud rookie coach, Saints should return serve. Burton and Sullivan may do OK in the halves in 2025 if Hunt goes up North.

56to66

Juniors
I like in Flanno's interview on 2GB he mentions in the end that he has no doubt all this came about because clubs were speaking to him or something like that which is so true. Dogs started this and the others followed.

Dogs should be paying 50% of Hunts Salary out of their cap for the next 2 years, Titans 30% and Bronco's 20%. See how they like it. Saints then get a cool 900k or so in the cap to spend.

It really shows a lack of respect to the Saints club. When they were struggling Saints did not show any "expesssions of interest" in their players. Next year if Saints are flying and Dogs are down due to a dud rookie coach, Saints should return serve. Burton and Sullivan may do OK in the halves in 2025 if Hunt goes up North.
Now we're talking Sullivan and Burton, that would be nice.
Hunt/Sloan for Burton/Kyle Flanagan fair swap I thinks!

Last edited: