What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt or McCullough?

MightyBronco

Juniors
I was at the game last night and tried to keep any eye on Mcollough. But i was high and i had a few beers and ended up distracted. He must have gone all right, i only saw a few f**k-ups. I think he got replaced pretty quickly into the game, maybe 25 mins. And back in for the last 25. I think.

Hunt seemed to spark the team a bit, but they were flat as tacks first half.

Lycon79

Juniors
As I said in another thread McCulloughs lack of urgency was game defining and intolerable

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I would hardly call his last game a shocker. I thought it was one of his better games recently and a lot of people are really overreacting over this Hunt/McCullough rubbish.

As soon as McCullough came on in the second half it was like a hole new Broncos side. I'm not saying he is the reason for our comeback but he did have hand in it. I thought his first 25mins was pretty solid too and Henjak made the right decision in bringing Hunt on after 25 last game rather than like 50 or what ever it was last time.

Jip

Juniors
Macca for sure. Dragons have problems with line defense and Andrew is great darting over the line for a try from dummy half.

Hunt will get better with time and shows a lot of promise IMO, but would keep starting him from the bench for now. He's good when the defense starts getting a bit tired.

andrew057

First Grade
McCullough is definitely the better hooker. He deserves his starting gig.

I feel vindicated after todays game. McCullough has been improving every week since returning from injury. Theres no doubt hes the #9 going forward this season.

I still think Hunt should be given time at halfback. Wallace was again a weak link today. He lacks vision and seems to be in a slump at the moment. If theres an opportunity in the coming weeks I think Hunt definitely deserves some time at half.

renouf

Juniors
I feel vindicated after todays game. McCullough has been improving every week since returning from injury. Theres no doubt hes the #9 going forward this season.

I still think Hunt should be given time at halfback. Wallace was again a weak link today. He lacks vision and seems to be in a slump at the moment. If theres an opportunity in the coming weeks I think Hunt definitely deserves some time at half.

Hunt at halfback is not a good idea, especially at this stage of the season. Wallace isn't playing that well agreed, but he is our best option.

andrew057

First Grade
Hunt at halfback is not a good idea, especially at this stage of the season. Wallace isn't playing that well agreed, but he is our best option.

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that Wallace should be dropped, but on recent form I definitely think theres more to be gained by giving Hunt time at half back rather than subbing McCullough.

renouf

Juniors
Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that Wallace should be dropped, but on recent form I definitely think theres more to be gained by giving Hunt time at half back rather than subbing McCullough.

Nah, don't agree at all. Give him a go from Round 1 next season, we're at the business end of the season and we need experienced players. I don't think Hunt is up to playing in high pressure games, not at halfback anyway.

andrew057

First Grade
Well at the moment Wallace isnt up to playing first grade let alone high pressure games.

user_nat

Coach
Maybe Wallace should get a go at hooker.

I think he could do it, he has the defense. I also think he is a better half than Hunt anyhow.

andrew057

First Grade
I wonder how many half backs in the comp are up to first grade in your opinion...?

Theres a few thats for sure. I might have exaggerated when I said that. But fair dinkum Wallace has been borderline pathetic recently. Hes 5th play options again today were horrible, to the point where Lockyer was forced to do all the kicking for the last 30 mins of the game.

AuDragon

Juniors
Theres a few thats for sure. I might have exaggerated when I said that. But fair dinkum Wallace has been borderline pathetic recently. Hes 5th play options again today were horrible, to the point where Lockyer was forced to do all the kicking for the last 30 mins of the game.
The kick for Folau's try came from Wallace, but don't let that get in the way of your opinion... ;-)

I watched the replay of the game last night and without the adrenaline factor of being at the ground watching live, you get the chance to pay more attention to details and players in particular.
Wallace was actually much better in the second half than in the first, but he is out of sorts and it looks like he's trying too hard for some reason. I hope he will sort it out in time for the finals if we get there...

When you put things into perspective and look at the other clubs in the comp, we're certainly better off than most!
There is also the fact that we have so many players performing strongly which makes Wallace look worse than he is.

DeeJ

Bench
You guys that want Wallace out don't remember what happened last season when he broke his ankle?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I don't think having Wallace around for that game would have made much difference. Locky is still doing most of the (good) play making even this season. Wallace could be out this week so we'll get to see another observation in the "not having Wallace" experiment.

But while I'm not a massive Wallace fan he is easily our first choice half-back so we have to live with it. Although he is getting paid too much for what he is doing imo.

Snappy

Coach
Hey guys new to the forum and first post. Broncos fan from 88.

On the Hooker situation. Im prob leaning towards Macca although Hunt does provide some spark on occasions. IMO though a hooker is an 80 minute position, and these two should not be rotated in a match. Pick one and stick with him. If either cant play for 80 then we should be looking elsewhere. Whats the reason for swapping them ? fitness ? giving the other guy a run ? We need to find an 80 minute hooker and save the substitution.