What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt to AFL???!?!!

Thomas

First Grade
Oh yeah, that's true.

The AFL clause has been in effect for 10 years or something. Don't they use it when getting those clueless Irish guys over for a trial or something?

El Diablo

Post Whore
i have nfi how their salary cap works

all i know is they give teams in non AFL states massive exemptions so they can buy premierships

feeding frenzy

Juniors
dont forget that he'll top up his salary if he plays in Japan too.

but overall, perhaps people might believe him when he says he wants a new challenge.

this loyalty crap and cutie leaving for money is extremely hypocritical of rugby league. after all, rugby league itself was born out of players wanting to be compensated. Wally himself was a yawnion player too.

but how about we talk about the more important issues......anyone get a look at cutie's missus? PHWOAR!

looked like she could do with a few hours spent on the treadmill / rowing machine. He could do better then her.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bennett showed lots of "loyalty" in 2006 when he "signed" with the chooks. Dont be the high and mighty defender of Bennett cause he is your "god" now.
There was never going to be a good time to remove Bennett...but i think 21 yrs there was enough...dont you?

_Johnsy

Referee
Bennett showed lots of "loyalty" in 2006 when he "signed" with the chooks. Dont be the high and mighty defender of Bennett cause he is your "god" now.
There was never going to be a good time to remove Bennett...but i think 21 yrs there was enough...dont you?

Fair point, could have been handled much better though.

But how much loyalty does Benny have to show affter he built the club, he made it what it is today. I thnik that alone would determine that he should have the choice of when and hoiw he leaves, not being shafted out the door.

The Colonel

Immortal
Karmichael Hunt comes with baggage

KARMICHAEL Hunt smiles for the cameras clutching a red singlet as the brand spankin' new face of the AFL's brand spankin' new franchise in the brand spankin' new market of the Gold Coast.

Evidently, those who nailed this incomprehensible coup have chosen to ignore that less than a year ago he could be found in the toilet cubicle of a Brisbane nightclub with a 24-year-old girl and two Broncos teammates committing a sordid drunken act that attracted a police investigation and a $20,000 fine from his club.
They have chosen to ignore the raised eyebrows of Queensland officials about his behaviour in the lead-up to Origin III this year.
Chosen to ignore the whispers about his loose ways during the Maroons' bonding session on the Gold Coast on the Friday before the match. In the very territory where he's about to be the face of a club and code.
Chosen to ignore his reputation at the Broncos where he went from unaffected schoolboy to full-blown superstar.

As the Gold Coast franchise's press release read yesterday: "[Hunt] will also work with the AFL and AFL Queensland to promote and develop the game over the next three years.''

As many remarked in League Land yesterday, Hunt is the PR stunt just waiting to explode in the faces of those who signed him. Kaboom!

For the all the hype and very simple fact that Hunt is an affable 22-year-old, there's no mistaking the Gold Coast have plonked all their chips on a player who comes to them as damaged goods.

The Broncos will say publicly they are sad to see him leave.

What they will not say on the record is they are partly relieved to be offloading an off-field headache, despite his abundant gifts. They were saying the same thing when Darius Boyd signed with the Dragons.

The Broncos had to withdraw a $1.2million offer months ago because they'd reached their maximum limit.

But it is understood they could not beef up their offer with third-party agreements.
Why? Because no company would touch Hunt with a 12-foot pole.

It needs to be made very clear that Hunt was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing following the incident last September involving a woman and teammates Sam Thaiday and Boyd.

But the mud has stuck.

It might have something to do with why he was never a chance of playing league on the Gold Coast for the Titans, with whom he was heavily linked.

"We didn't consider he would fit into our culture,'' Michael Searle said. "He's a nice enough guy but he doesn't suit us.''

It speaks volumes about the mindset of the two franchises as they compete for the same sun-soaked hearts and minds, that Searle hunted down a cleanskin in Preston Campbell as his marquee player when the Titans formed.

Campbell is an identity you can build a culture around. Is Karmichael Hunt?
Presumably, the AFL believes so after the GC17 franchise failed to lure Nick Riewoldt and any other headline name from its own ranks.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou may think he's delivered a round-house kick to the head of rugby league, but Searle wonders how long the euphoria will las

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...mes-with-baggage/story-e6frext9-1225756073626

Tex_21

Juniors
The reason no AFL players have been lured is that they are all currently playing! I don't think they will suddenly jump out of their own team, and sit out a year or year and a half of football so that they can sign for the GC early.

This is where the AFL differs from the NRL. All player movement between clubs happens once the season is finished and we don't get the farcical situation where players/coaches are playing/coaching one team knowing they aren't going to be there next year and even play/coach against the team they are going to next year.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Anyone know what Hunts current deal with the Broncs is worth? Is he still on his rookie contract?

Gee his manager has done well sniffing out the big money. Impressive.

Noa

First Grade
. Wally himself was a yawnion player too.

!

:lol:

One of the grat Yawnion myths.

Wally was a Valley's junior, played league all his life. Oonly played union for a bit when he was at Brisbane High.

Saying he is a union player is like saying Noa is a Union player cause I played a few games for Bondi United when I was 6.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
:lol:

played union for a bit when he was at Brisbane High.

Saying he is a union player is like saying Noa is a Union player cause I played a few games for Bondi United when I was 6.

Yeah, and he just happened to walk into the Australian Schoolboys team as well... hell he even toured Great Britain with them.

Bit higher level than Bondi United U6's!

Mr Saab

Referee
Fair point, could have been handled much better though.

But how much loyalty does Benny have to show affter he built the club, he made it what it is today. I thnik that alone would determine that he should have the choice of when and hoiw he leaves, not being shafted out the door.

And Wayne made his choice in 2006 to leave. Sneaky backdoor dealings with Politis. His actions there dont help him when he was "pushed out" in 2008.
Wayne has given the club 6 comps and was there 21 yrs. As i said, after being there so long it was always going to be "sad" when he left.
This was certainly no Paul Lamgmack with Souffs or a Tony Kemp with the Warriors.
Wayne left, he is coaching the club you support and he is doing wonders. If he can break the drought then congrats to him and the club...if he wins it will further cement his status as the best of all time.

Tex_21

Juniors
lol

they don't have to sit out
See below-free agency doesn't exist in the AFL. If they wanted to sign to another club before then end of the year-would be invalid. All transfers need to be in trade week, or through the PSD.
This is where the AFL differs from the NRL. All player movement between clubs happens once the season is finished and we don't get the farcical situation where players/coaches are playing/coaching one team knowing they aren't going to be there next year and even play/coach against the team they are going to next year.
See-this. Bloody Collingwood supporters :)
who cares?
You do-you care more about the AFL then nearly anyone I know-you do more research on AFL articles than any Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth journos.

maccattack

Juniors
Karmichael Hunt comes with baggage

The Broncos had to withdraw a $1.2million offer months ago because they'd reached their maximum limit.

But it is understood they could not beef up their offer with third-party agreements.
Why? Because no company would touch Hunt with a 12-foot pole.

So what Hasler should have said is : " If you are nothing but trouble and you drag rugby league through the mud, then find that your value to sponsor has diminished, there is another career path for you.

Join the AFL. They will make you an even bigger tool than you already are, by using your name to hurt the game that made you a star."

maccattack

Juniors

Does anyone believe this tosh. As if there are no carpark deals done outside of the 'official' times. Yeah right :roll:

Plumplechook

Juniors
..but how about we talk about the more important issues......anyone get a look at cutie's missus? PHWOAR!

Yeah - but how does she compare to the chick cutie r*oted in the dunny last year?

What a scumbag. cutie to AFL will be an epic fail. :thumbd: