What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt to AFL???!?!!

whalan12

Juniors
This is where the AFL differs from the NRL. All player movement between clubs happens once the season is finished and we don't get the farcical situation where players/coaches are playing/coaching one team knowing they aren't going to be there next year and even play/coach against the team they are going to next year.

it makes more sense to have it after the season.
in nrl, one week your playing with a teammate. next week u could be playing against him.
imo if i had a contract with another team for next yr whilst still playing with a club for the rest of this season, i would find it hard to find motivation, just wanting to get to my new club. my concern is that this probably happens with current players/coaches, meaning the player and team would not perform as well.
i dont like the way they do it in nrl. and sure as hell dont want it to happen to my team.

Tex_21

Juniors
Does anyone believe this tosh. As if there are no carpark deals done outside of the 'official' times. Yeah right :roll:
Unlikethe NRL, players can't just nominate and say I want to go to that club and go. If they are contracted-they need to be traded in trade week. Yeah, discussions would go on outside the week, but the trade has to be agreed to by both sides, and lodged with the AFL before the close of the week. If they are un contracted, it is not necessary for a trade, IF they go to the PSD. WHere they can be picked up by any club-so the only way to choose your destination is to be traded. In trade week.

Unlikethe NRL, players can't just nominate and say I want to go to that club and go. If they are contracted-they need to be traded in trade week. Yeah, discussions would go on outside the week, but the trade has to be agreed to by both sides, and lodged with the AFL before the close of the week. If they are un contracted, it is not necessary for a trade, IF they go to the PSD. WHere they can be picked up by any club-so the only way to choose your destination is to be traded. In trade week.

It's like a draft, a bit easier to set it in stone then police it if your players aren't being poached by other codes. I don't know of too many AFL players who've been poached over the last, well, forever....

Tex_21

Juniors
It's like a draft, a bit easier to set it in stone then police it if your players aren't being poached by other codes. I don't know of too many AFL players who've been poached over the last, well, forever....
I could be wrong, but didn't the NRL (maybe ARL at the time) try to implement a draft, but a player questioned its validity under restraint of trade laws, and it was scrapped?

ozjet1

I could be wrong, but didn't the NRL (maybe ARL at the time) try to implement a draft, but a player questioned its validity under restraint of trade laws, and it was scrapped?
terry hill. souffs jnr............got picked by easts, wanted to play under Warren Ryan at wests.

it kind of highlights the culture of players in rugby league. it's all about them. a draft works succesfully in some of the biggest pro sports in the world. and even when it fails somewhat, there are mechanisms in place to remedy it. such as #1 pick Eli Manning refusing to play for the San Diego Chargers in the NFL, but they were able to make a post-draft trade to NY Giants for their draft pick, Phillip Rivers. on the other hand, the draft struggled to get several seasons here. then superleague came about a few years later and it was all about whoring themselves out to the highest bidder.

Yeah. Back in the year dot, a bloke named Dennis Tutty won the court case and Terry Hill later, the drooling f**kwit.

The draft works in the AFL because if you don't like it, what else can you do?

Tex_21

Juniors
Yeah. Back in the year dot, a bloke named Dennis Tutty won the court case and Terry Hill later, the drooling f**kwit.

It (and the salary cap)works because the players and clubs know, that without it, it would be relative anarchy, with the rich clubs winning everything-see Euro soccer.

It (and the salary cap)works because the players and clubs know, that without it, it would be relative anarchy, with the rich clubs winning everything-see Euro soccer.

Yeah, no.

They don't fight it because they have NO options. If they fight and win, they'll never, ever get signed by anyone ever again. If they fight and lose, the same will happen. If they fight knowing that if they lose they can go to Europe to play Aussie Rules professionally, then they may just fight it.

But they can't can they?

Soccer players can go to other leagues everywhere, Rugby League and Rugby Union players can go to other Leagues or another sport.

AFL players have.... AFL.

ozjet1

they cover their arse in the AFL. they virtually stick a pole up each potential draftee's arse and tell them to clench tightly so they end up becoming the code's puppets. they have to sign away all their rights to court action when they enter the draft so they cant launch an action if they end up somewhere they dont want to go. they cover all bases in the AFL.

i reckon the NRL mid-season signings are a farce, but at least it isnt so restrictive for established players to move clubs as it is in the AFL. it takes a clubs in that game several years to 'develop' their drafted players to end up being a competitive team. there is no way a team such as Canterbury could be wooden spooners one year, and premiership contenders the next in the AFL. FFS, the elite competition of their game is used as a development league by half the clubs......and some them are actually trying to lose so they can get extra draft picks. that's f**kED!

Tex_21

Juniors
Yeah, no.

They don't fight it because they have NO options. If they fight and win, they'll never, ever get signed by anyone ever again. If they fight and lose, the same will happen. If they fight knowing that if they lose they can go to Europe to play Aussie Rules professionally, then they may just fight it.

But they can't can they?

Soccer players can go to other leagues everywhere, Rugby League and Rugby Union players can go to other Leagues or another sport.

AFL players have.... AFL.
Crap-clubs like Collingwood and Carlton (who tend to disregard the cap anyway) would easily sign the players if they were good enough. What would happen is a few clubs (North, Melb, Footscray possibly) may die, and the richer clubs would reign supreme-much like how it happened in the early years.

Crap-clubs like Collingwood and Carlton (who tend to disregard the cap anyway) would easily sign the players if they were good enough. What would happen is a few clubs (North, Melb, Footscray possibly) may die, and the richer clubs would reign supreme-much like how it happened in the early years.

And?

D R A F T.. not Salary cap.

Tex_21

Juniors
And?

D R A F T.. not Salary cap.
They work in conjunction-clubs like Carlton who disregard the cap, or COllingwood who have plenty of 'off-field options' for income earning potential. Agreed, the cap would do something-but we would have no-where near the evenness (I know that's not a word but f**k it) across the competition we currently have.

I think a lot of you may be missing one important point. IMO I don't think it's so much about people all of a sudden not going to Titans games on the Coast and instead going to the AFL games, I think it's more about getting young kids interested in it enough that they may want to play it.

The AFL is in a strong enough financial position that they can throw money at it and West Sydney for years.

The next round of tv rights may not be as lucrative as the current ones due to the GFC but if my memory serves me correct the current ones were worth more than $500 million more than the RL ones.

Hunt may not be able to pull on an Australian jersey but really what are they worth? How many countries are competitive? Australia, New Zealand and England and it's not even that long ago that the latter two weren't competitive. I mean League is at least third banana in NZ behind Union and Netball in popularity stakes and probably the same in the UK albeit with Union and Soccer.

There's plenty of countries that have small local Aussie Rules competitions. The AFL currently bring them all out here and play an International Cup without Australian professional player involvement. Probably not that much different to the early days of International League with the Aussies being the only team ever likely to win.

I don't think a sport like AR will ever be international, for one thing the playing arena is just too big compared with League, Union and Soccer and also initially there are a lot of different skills to learn. Soccer is a prime example, at it's highest level the players are unbelievably skilled but at the lowest level anyone can play it, all you need to be able to do is run and kick, the ball is round so it doesn't do funny things.

As for AR players crossing to RL I don't think it would be that easy for the simple fact of the tackling, it's completely different. AR clubs are addressing this these days as it is a very important part of the current game and is becoming more and more each season. Clubs now employ League people to come and teach them.

A number of Melbourne teams get together with the Storm, they drill us on tackling and we show them kicking.

I played 18 years of AR and one season of League when I was unfortunately living in Canberra for a time. At the time I was 6ft 1, 105kg with high pace, good hands, good kicking skills on both sides and loved the collisions. I couldn't tackle for sh*t. After so many years of playing and training for AR I just couldn't come to grips with the tackling, it didn't worry me being tackled but I just found it unnatural to duck my head and drive into someone, I didn't know how.

As a young kid there was a South Australian player recruited to Footscray/Western Bulldogs, in one of his very first games he ducked his head down and tried to go through a player, he's been in a wheelchair ever since. It was really emphasised to everyone at all levels after that not to duck your head.

Another thing about League is that it's an ideal sport for tv because the pitch size is so much smaller. To have a full appreciation of an AFL game you need to see it live as there can be a lot of set up work going on 50 to 100 meters away from the actual play, tv cameras can't pick this up.

As far as loyalty goes, how much is there these days? How many players are running around in league that have played at more than one club? There are quite a few in the AFL but the majority of these are because they've been discarded by their original clubs. Make no mistake, clubs will play the loyalty line as long as it suits them but as soon as they consider you surplus to requirements or they may be able to get something for you they'll be shopping you around quicker than you can blink.

Chris Judd was and still is called a greedy judas for leaving the West Coast Eagles and going to Carlton. What did he owe them? Not much I'd say, it wasn't like the club took a punt on him, he was drafted at number 3 so plenty of other clubs would have picked him up if the Eagles didn't, they were just lucky. He gave them 6 seasons of the best first 6 seasons that a lot of people have ever seen, he captained them to a premiership, he won club B&F awards and a Brownlow Medal.

Switching codes/sports, Scott Draper - tennis/golf, Shane Naylor - sprinting/bobsled, plenty of players who were international/state level at both cricket and football eventually choosing one over the other, Mundine, Dean Brogan - NBL/AFL. Who cares?

It's probably a good coup for the AFL at the moment but he's a young bloke who's gone for a base of less money (yes he will get a lot in endoresments/incentives) who it appears is after another challenge. IMO it's a big risk to take and good on him for having the guts to give it a go.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The next round of tv rights may not be as lucrative as the current ones due to the GFC but if my memory serves me correct the current ones were worth more than $500 million more than the RL ones.

where do you boggerball fans get this crap :?

Vossy

Bench
I think a lot of you may be missing one important point. IMO I don't think it's so much about people all of a sudden not going to Titans games on the Coast and instead going to the AFL games, I think it's more about getting young kids interested in it enough that they may want to play it.

The AFL is in a strong enough financial position that they can throw money at it and West Sydney for years.

Hunt may not be able to pull on an Australian jersey but really what are they worth? How many countries are competitive? Australia, New Zealand and England and it's not even that long ago that the latter two weren't competitive. I mean League is at least third banana in NZ behind Union and Netball in popularity stakes and probably the same in the UK albeit with Union and Soccer.

There's plenty of countries that have small local Aussie Rules competitions. The AFL currently bring them all out here and play an International Cup without Australian professional player involvement. Probably not that much different to the early days of International League with the Aussies being the only team ever likely to win.

I don't think a sport like AR will ever be international, for one thing the playing arena is just too big compared with League, Union and Soccer and also initially there are a lot of different skills to learn. Soccer is a prime example, at it's highest level the players are unbelievably skilled but at the lowest level anyone can play it, all you need to be able to do is run and kick, the ball is round so it doesn't do funny things.

yep run and kick, same as AFL

when was the last time AFL had a world cup? the kangaroos jersey is worth more then a singlet

alot more countries play league, AFL has 2

RLIF:

Test Nations
Australia · Cook Islands · England · Fiji · France · Great Britain · New Zealand · Papua New Guinea · Russia · Samoa · South Africa · Tonga

Affiliate Nations
American Samoa · Argentina · Austria · Canada · Czech Republic · Estonia · Germany · Greece · Ireland · Italy · Ivory Coast · Jamaica · Japan · Lebanon · Malta · Morocco · Netherlands · New Caledonia · Niue · Norway · Scotland · Serbia · Sweden · Tokelau · Tuvalu · United States · Wales

Unaffiliated Nations
Georgia · Latvia · Moldova · Portugal · Singapore · Solomon Islands · UAE · Ukraine · West Indies

gottabegood

Juniors
Well let's hope the Raiders start the ball rolling with a nice farewell pressie this wknd, by playing a few tunes on his rib cage.

winnyason

Juniors
The whole point of this is publicity both gc and western are struggling for members, gallop must stand up and talk expansion, png, wellington, central coast and perth take the pricks on and that f**king arogant boss.