What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Bazal

Post Whore
After the wicket dished up it should be.

I can't fault the ground staff, though. Look at the MCG since the move to drop ins, absolutely dead track. You can't grow a wicket in a season or whatever and imbue it with the same character as a live wicket in the surface.

CA (and local govts as applicable) are too gutless to tell the AFL that cricket is the big dog and if the Victorians don't like it they can play somewhere else....The AFL would play at the MCG if there was a synthetic wicket in the centre and they were told to suck it up. They aren't abandoning the biggest ground in the country, so I feel like there's a fundamental failure by CA to look after their own game here.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can't fault the ground staff, though. Look at the MCG since the move to drop ins, absolutely dead track. You can't grow a wicket in a season or whatever and imbue it with the same character as a live wicket in the surface.

CA (and local govts as applicable) are too gutless to tell the AFL that cricket is the big dog and if the Victorians don't like it they can play somewhere else....The AFL would play at the MCG if there was a synthetic wicket in the centre and they were told to suck it up. They aren't abandoning the biggest ground in the country, so I feel like there's a fundamental failure by CA to look after their own game here.

We survived without drop in pitches for a gazillion years and we only started to produce these highways once we went to drop in pitches. That was when each pitch had its own unique character.

We refer the grounds like Adeleide Oval and the MCG as cricket grounds but they are predominantly AFL grounds now.

Bazal

Post Whore
We survived without drop in pitches for a gazillion years and we only started to produce these highways once we went to drop in pitches. That was when each pitch had its own unique character.

We refer the grounds like Adeleide Oval and the MCG as cricket grounds but they are predominantly AFL grounds now.

Which is completely arse backwards IMO. How many fans travel from England, or South Africa, or India, or NZ for an AFL game at the MCG? It's a seriously gutless effort from CA IMO not to stand up for the game. As you say, the AFL was running around on the MCG with a turf surface for years and years. The SCG and the Gabba still maintain in surface wickets and the Victorians play there anyway...

CA should have stood firm and backed the curators to leave turf wickets in. Cricket is undeniably the bigger game and CA should have put up more of a fight IMO because as it stands these surfaces are slowly strangling the life out of the game. They are cricket grounds that the AFL uses in the off season...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Which is completely arse backwards IMO. How many fans travel from England, or South Africa, or India, or NZ for an AFL game at the MCG? It's a seriously gutless effort from CA IMO not to stand up for the game. As you say, the AFL was running around on the MCG with a turf surface for years and years. The SCG and the Gabba still maintain in surface wickets and the Victorians play there anyway...

CA should have stood firm and backed the curators to leave turf wickets in. Cricket is undeniably the bigger game and CA should have put up more of a fight IMO because as it stands these surfaces are slowly strangling the life out of the game. They are cricket grounds that the AFL uses in the off season...
Doesn’t help when you have a Victorian running the show.

84 Baby

Referee
People confuse MCG for Melbourne Cricket Ground. It's well with the AFL's right to enforce curating they want at the Melbourne Centre for Gayness

emjaycee

Coach

Let's not forget by their own admission, the game was invented to keep cricketers fit in the winter.

History of Australian Football
In 1857, Tom Wills, one of the founders of Australian Football, returned to Australia after schooling in England where he was football captain of Rugby School and a brilliant cricketer. Initially, he advocated the winter game of football as a way of keeping cricketers fit during off-season.

Source: Clicky

TheParraboy

Staff member
Here is a hot tip:

Mitch Marsh 100 from 100 balls day 3, Perth test.

Put your house on it, nothing surer...

Dibs

Bench
I’d say it is more likely Mitch will never score a test century then get one today.

Gotta be M Marsh's best opportunity. I guess it may be the case that he comes in to face a new ball, but other than that, he couldn't really ask for better.