What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think NZ warriors should go back to being known as Auckland Warriors do you?

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
I mentioned this somewhere the other day, it detracts from the national team.
I even said they shouldn't have black as a primary colour, as a secondary colour would be fine though.
The way they are set up at the moment is like a national team lite or NZ 'B' team.

Even if they aren't technically the NZ Warriors and are just the Warriors, it's still stupid. Canterbury and Cronulla tried it and it was dumb, so they changed back.

The alienating fans excuse is stupid as well. Did the Dogs and Sharks alienate anyone when they changed back?
I've never felt alienated from the Eels because they are named after a city that I've never lived in. Or maybe I am alienated and Parra should be known as the Australian Eels to lessen the alienation.:D

I actually agree

A lot of New Zealanders feel more of an affinity to an Australian club than the Warriors. The feeling is tat the Warriors is Auckland's team, and there is a lot of anti-Auckland sentiment around the rest of New Zealand.

And it does take away from the Test team.

Agree...when they were formed, I watched a their games with interest but never supported them as a member as it had the perception that it was Auckland's team.

Living in Wellington made the difference for me...the team was based in Auckland and at that stage there was no talk of playing games around the country etc.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
:?

Penrose Warrior said nowhere throughout the club would you find the term "New Zealand Warriors". That was incorrect.

Whilst you've got me on a technicality,they are merely registered as New Zealand Warriors Ltd as explained before. I'm registered as a private company, but that doesn't make it my name.

A lot of the time people across the ditch use the NZ as a ready-made excuse - Ie no wonder we lost, we were playing NZ.

HevyDevy

Coach
Whilst you've got me on a technicality,they are merely registered as New Zealand Warriors Ltd as explained before. I'm registered as a private company, but that doesn't make it my name.

A lot of the time people across the ditch use the NZ as a ready-made excuse - Ie no wonder we lost, we were playing NZ.

You are correct and this thread is therefore irrelevant.

The club itself, without sponsorship branding, is simply the Warriors. The name New Zealand Warriors no longer exists in regards to the name of this side.

forestfan

Juniors

The club itself, without sponsorship branding, is simply the Warriors. The name New Zealand Warriors no longer exists in regards to the name of this side.

I think its got some good discussion going really

'

One Warrior

Bench

Try telling that to the commentators, they are always calling us New Zealand, Rabbits does all the time, in the final against the Titans I heard Wally Lewis calling us the Kiwis.

adamkungl

Immortal
Try telling that to the commentators, they are always calling us New Zealand, Rabbits does all the time, in the final against the Titans I heard Wally Lewis calling us the Kiwis.

Whether clubs like it or not, commentators and the wider public are always going to stick to a locality based name, even if a club tries to market itself as just Warriors or Tigers or Bulldogs. Nobody outside the Bulldogs club ever stopped calling them Canterbury and they eventually bit the bullet and changed it back.

Lego_Man

First Grade
The rest of NZ are cuties anyway, especially South Islanders. Biggest tall poppy mentality ever, and irrationally hatred of anything remotely associated with Auckland.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Haha yep. Happens in the Aussie print media too, bloody confusing when you're talking about Kiwis and Warriors.

Ps. The thoughts expressed by the above poster do not necessarily represent those of Auckland, and Aucklanders (not when I have to be in the Village of the Damned next week)..

Iafeta

Referee
:?

Penrose Warrior said nowhere throughout the club would you find the term "New Zealand Warriors". That was incorrect.

Ahhh... apologies then. You are right, the mention of New Zealand Warriors is due to the brand being owned by New Zealand Warriors Limited (ownership entity of private shareholders) which trades under the brands Warriors and 'Vodafone' Warriors. I'm not one to bring sponsors into it, which is why I believe the correct name to be Warriors.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Yeah. And while we're at it lets ban the Raiders from playing in green.

Playing in black is absolutely fine
Wake up to yourself, I never said it should be banned.
It's just my own opinion, I'm not trying to ban it, read posts properly before replying with crap. The raiders don't use the bottle green from the Kangaroos jersey either, sh*t comparison.

It is stupid, imagine an Australian based team having the same green and gold as the national team, it won't happen.
And I'm talking NRL not bush teams like Wyong.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Wake up to yourself, I never said it should be banned.
It's just my own opinion, I'm not trying to ban it, read posts properly before replying with crap. The raiders don't use the bottle green from the Kangaroos jersey either, sh*t comparison.

It is stupid, imagine an Australian based team having the same green and gold as the national team, it won't happen.
And I'm talking NRL not bush teams like Wyong.

09_warrhomejers.jpg

group%20anthem%20-%20web.jpg

They look plenty different to me.

The point stands. To suggest a domestic team shouldn't have the same colour as a national team is geniused.

If both teams played in Fiesta pink I could maybe understand your angle :lol: Black is hardly an uncommon colour for a sports team