What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think NZ warriors should go back to being known as Auckland Warriors do you?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
What really grates on me is getting force-fed the Vodafone rubbish. Even the Mt Smart ground announcer refers to the team as the Vodafone Warriors, it's pathetic. They must be more intrusive than any other team sponsor in the comp.
no, it's universal though the competition.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah, but the commercial fact remains that they are New Zealand Warriors Ltd. Other titles are anecdotal.

So, you're saying when I went to NYC last year I got to see the Yankee Global Enterprise Limited Liability Company beat the Detroit Tigers? Mate, that this is the professional club entity - the collective name of the shareholders interest. It is not the representative brand name.

Iafeta

Referee
You mean the club which is officially known as NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS LIMITED?

http://www.warriors.co.nz/legal

I personally work for a company whose entity name is different than it's trading name. You do know there is a legal disparity between the two, right? I mean, you know that the team who is legally known as Yankee Global Enterprise Limited Liability Company is actually the New York Yankees, right?

I'd love to see you out there though whipping up some New Zealand Warriors Limited banners for next season though.

shiznit

Coach
The Penrose Pansies?? :lol:

seriously though... i think its time they go back to Auckland... i think the previous owners are now well and truly part of the clubs colorful history books.

i think re-branding them back to Auckland... and perhaps even giving them more of an Auckland RL look.... eg Navy Blue with White V would be the go...

that way it sets up for another franchise to follow....

applesauce

Bench
What really grates on me is getting force-fed the Vodafone rubbish. Even the Mt Smart ground announcer refers to the team as the Vodafone Warriors, it's pathetic. They must be more intrusive than any other team sponsor in the comp.

At Suncorp we are refered to as the WOW Brisbane Broncos. :x

krudmonk

Juniors
They should be "Warriors" without a regional identifier. Even if a second NZ side comes in, the Warriors will still appeal to Waikato and Bay of Plenty more than a Wellington-based team.

Canard

Immortal

Every team in the NRL does it mate.

Its your TOYOTA Cowboys at Dairyfarmers Stadium.

During the Dot Com bubble it was crazy in the States you would have Stadiums called BuyBooksOnline.com Stadium and stuff like that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I don’t like how all of NZ’s sports teams got rid of their regional identifiers. The Super14 teams and the netball teams are the same iirc. I think the A League team is the only major team over there with a city in their name.

Every team in the NRL does it mate.

Its your TOYOTA Cowboys at Dairyfarmers Stadium.

During the Dot Com bubble it was crazy in the States you would have Stadiums called BuyBooksOnline.com Stadium and stuff like that.

Yeah ok, I concede the point about the home announcers. It just seems like Vodafone own the Warriors. Their main fan forum is called Vodafone One Tribe, they do Vodafone Warriors TV, even Steve McIvor, the local commentator always calls them the Vodafone Warriors, and so did Steve Price any time he was interviewed while captain. It's too much I reckon.

shiznit

Coach
I don’t like how all of NZ’s sports teams got rid of their regional identifiers. The Super14 teams and the netball teams are the same iirc. I think the A League team is the only major team over there with a city in their name.
the super14 teams have to go with franchise names because there regions.

for example The Blues aren't Auckland anymore because as a Northland supporter f**ked if i wanna be associated with those jaffa wankers.

Same with BOP fans being associated with Waikato... Hawkes Bay, Taranaki & Manawatu being associated with Wellignton etc...

Maybe if they were to expand in NZ they would make the Warriors Northern and the other club Southern.

Canard

Immortal
Yeah ok, I concede the point about the home announcers. It just seems like Vodafone own the Warriors. Their main fan forum is called Vodafone One Tribe, they do Vodafone Warriors TV, even Steve McIvor, the local commentator always calls them the Vodafone Warriors, and so did Steve Price any time he was interviewed while captain. It's too much I reckon.

I reckon they would be contractually obliged.

I remember Broncos players getting fined for saying Lang Park instead of Suncorp Stadium.

Highway1

Juniors
Yep, I agree with the name change back to Auckland, but only after further expansion in New Zealand, imo

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the amount of Warriors merchandise being worn in Wellington, Christchurch and over in here at games then I'd suggest representing the country is actually a good marketing decision. Maybe when the Southern Orcas come in but for now leav ethem to represnt the entire place like NQ represent an entire region.

sherrinator

Juniors
What's the problem? Why shouldn't a small country like New Zealand have a club called New Zealand? There are more people in Melbourne than NZ yet they have one team called Melbourne.

It's like saying the Cowboys should be called Townsville, you will just alienate half the supporter base.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I personally work for a company whose entity name is different than it's trading name. You do know there is a legal disparity between the two, right? I mean, you know that the team who is legally known as Yankee Global Enterprise Limited Liability Company is actually the New York Yankees, right?

I'd love to see you out there though whipping up some New Zealand Warriors Limited banners for next season though.

:?

Penrose Warrior said nowhere throughout the club would you find the term "New Zealand Warriors". That was incorrect.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What's the problem? Why shouldn't a small country like New Zealand have a club called New Zealand? There are more people in Melbourne than NZ yet they have one team called Melbourne.

It's like saying the Cowboys should be called Townsville, you will just alienate half the supporter base.
The Melbourne comparison is dumb, if you wanted to make a point you'd actually suggest they become known as the Victoria Storm.

The club was the Auckland Warriors until about 2000 from memory and if another NZ team is on the agenda for expansion within ten years - then a return to that name is something they should consider.

weasel

First Grade

Dude, Auckland is like 760kms away from New Zealand's second biggest city, Christchurch, which is actually bigger than Canberra. That's further than the distance between Sydney and Melbourne. They're even on separate islands for crying out loud. Totally different regional identities.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Changining there name is the least of there problems as they need to push the membership drive so they are getting nothing less then 15000 for all games.

adamkungl

Immortal
Agree they should go back to being Auckland.

Similarly Easts should drop the Sydney nonsense. Sydney City maybe, but we've never represented all of Sydney and never will.

Latest posts