What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want Tyran Wishart

Wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne pay big bucks to keep Wishart, and let Munster go. I reckon Munster has too many errors in his game for Bellamy's liking.
I think Munster is an exceptional talent and can do things that can't be coached. Wishart is a good player without the X factor of Munster. You've got to be careful signing players out of the Storm roster that are surrounded by those X factor talents. The talent of these X factor players allows those of lesser ability but plenty of determination and persistence to operate with more freedom.

Jubilee

Juniors
He is not a $1 mill player but he is a very good instinctive player and would be an improvement to our squad and could do a better job than most of our team in multiple positions
He is better thank Kyle F for starters and would do an admirable job at 6 as a defensive running half setting up outside backs.
You have to remember this final series he has been filling in at roving middle forward (like a 13?) which is not his strength but he played well last night..Efforts and tackle busts galore
We do need a 7 with a long and deft kicking game who can also defend to support Wishy at 6
We are currently bringing LKT into the 5/8 position. Do we no longer have any faith in him for the intermediate or long term? If we give Wishart $1m a year for five years, what happens if he can't lead the team? It is Corey Norman and Hunt all over again. In the meantime, we block and frustrate youngsters.(I do not know anything about LKT. Just an example.)

We need a 100% proven, guaranteed, gold-plated organizing halfback who can kick and game manage. We can pay big bucks and give a long contract for such an individual.

To get such a player, we have to aim for him. We have to stop with the wishful thinking and the hoping and praying that someone might develop into something else. Whether we are buying experienced players or bringing along youngsters, if it isn't what we want, don't buy it!. We have to buy and promote only those who HAVE ALREADY SHOWN - measurably and objectively - that they can do it.

This wishful thinking mindset has a long and frustrating pedigree at Sajnts. I have mentioned Drew Hutchinson in previous posts. I have never understood the investment we made in him. Just his sprint times could have told us he would never be a star halfback. He lumbered. There are no lumbering star halfbacks. But everyone persisted with him as a junior in that position. Sloane. I know he is playing NRL only bcs Cody Ramsay got sick, but people insist on overlooking his issues. Maybe one day....well, maybe, but what are we, a development club? A shelter for late blooming players?

How did Amone - slow as a wet weekend, uncreative and ill-tempered, ever get anywhere hear NRL? How did we ignore the measurable FACTS about Bostock? Tall, fast, good hands, leap, evasive, brave, coachable. No, we don't want him. He ticks too many boxes. Let Bennett have him.

Leluia. No, he will never be lean and fit and give long minutes. Laurie, no he will never bend the line and intimidate opponents. The Feagais...were they ever going to become speedsters? No. That is not WHO THESE GUYS ARE. I often wonder what the develpment guys are looking at.

When we buy or bring through players we have to look at WHAT THEY ALREADY ARE and then build on that bcs they can improve (what they already are) but they are not going change into something else. If you have a girlfriend who is a nag or a spendthrift, do you think that is going to change after you marry her? Guaranteed not.

People have to stop hoping. We have to develop, promote and buy according to the best fit we can get for clear, relevant, objective, measurable metrics. Anything else and our recruitment and retention approach is just a game of pin the tail on the donkey.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
We are currently bringing LKT into the 5/8 position. Do we no longer have any faith in him for the intermediate or long term? If we give Wishart $1m a year for five years, what happens if he can't lead the team? It is Corey Norman and Hunt all over again. In the meantime, we block and frustrate youngsters.(I do not know anything about LKT. Just an example.)

We need a 100% proven, guaranteed, gold-plated organizing halfback who can kick and game manage. We can pay big bucks and give a long contract for such an individual.

To get such a player, we have to aim for him. We have to stop with the wishful thinking and the hoping and praying that someone might develop into something else. Whether we are buying experienced players or bringing along youngsters, if it isn't what we want, don't buy it!. We have to buy and promote only those who HAVE ALREADY SHOWN - measurably and objectively - that they can do it.

This wishful thinking mindset has a long and frustrating pedigree at Sajnts. I have mentioned Drew Hutchinson in previous posts. I have never understood the investment we made in him. Just his sprint times could have told us he would never be a star halfback. He lumbered. There are no lumbering star halfbacks. But everyone persisted with him as a junior in that position. Sloane. I know he is playing NRL only bcs Cody Ramsay got sick, but people insist on overlooking his issues. Maybe one day....well, maybe, but what are we, a development club? A shelter for late blooming players?

How did Amone - slow as a wet weekend, uncreative and ill-tempered, ever get anywhere hear NRL? How did we ignore the measurable FACTS about Bostock? Tall, fast, good hands, leap, evasive, brave, coachable. No, we don't want him. He ticks too many boxes. Let Bennett have him.

Leluia. No, he will never be lean and fit and give long minutes. Laurie, no he will never bend the line and intimidate opponents. The Feagais...were they ever going to become speedsters? No. That is not WHO THESE GUYS ARE. I often wonder what the develpment guys are looking at.

When we buy or bring through players we have to look at WHAT THEY ALREADY ARE and then build on that bcs they can improve (what they already are) but they are not going change into something else. If you have a girlfriend who is a nag or a spendthrift, do you think that is going to change after you marry her? Guaranteed not.

People have to stop hoping. We have to develop, promote and buy according to the best fit we can get for clear, relevant, objective, measurable metrics. Anything else and our recruitment and retention approach is just a game of pin the tail on the donkey.

Great post. Definitely pin the tail on the donkey under Price and MacGregor, and the Hook strategy of recruiting old Queenslanders was never a recipe for long term success. Flanno at least appears to have a good idea of what he wants and/or needs, and how much he is prepared to pay. Unfortunately our club remains an undesirable location for many.

BLM01

First Grade

In a roundabout way you just echoed my thoughts.
In respect to LKT..he has a long way to go but is he that kicker? we may be missing or seeking along with Wishart in the halves. He may be able to play 7.
But what is the definition of a No 7 or 6 these days anyway.

Jubilee

Juniors
But what is the definition of a No 7 or 6 these days anyway.
It is up to the coach to decide what kind of football the team will play based on what kind of cattle he has. But I think that the job of the 7 is to cooperate with the 6 to run the team on both sides of the ruck. They can both be runners and kickers (great!), but one of them has to be a dominant organizer.

possm

Coach
Yes, we need to develop some homegrown youngsters for future seasons. However, we need two props and a fullback for season 2025.
Lodge and RCG are the props I would like Flanno to target; they are gettable.
JAC is a game-breaker, just like B Morris was. I am sure he is gettable. And if Hunt moves on, Wishart, Schneider or O'Sullivan would be goodvalue.

The Super League competition has some good halves and possibly a couple of good props ready for the picking.

56to66

Juniors
Tyran Wishart has a great attitude to his game, he will never ever be like a Corey Norman, I see him playing for a long time at the highest level.
He will be worth every penny, I believe many here at not true St George supporters.
800k for 5 years is a bargain, you Will see!

Jubilee

Juniors
Tyran Wishart has a great attitude to his game, he will never ever be like a Corey Norman, I see him playing for a long time at the highest level.
He will be worth every penny, I believe many here at not true St George supporters.
800k for 5 years is a bargain, you Will see!
I don't doubt his attitude but the job opening decribes certain specific requirements. Has he ever game-managed an NRL team?

TheRev

Coach
I'm pretty sure we will be in contact with his management, but we cant talk to him officially for another 13 months.. for a 2027 position.. and this assumes hes not extended in the meantime.

As always though, we need to atleast make sure the Storm stump up more cash for him.. and perhaps him staying dislodges someone else.. but I dont know if we are after anyone else.. Pezet maybe, but we would have to really want him.. because the Knights r gunning for him.

56to66

Juniors
I don't doubt his attitude but the job opening decribes certain specific requirements. Has he ever game-managed an NRL team?
Apparently we already have one, but lacks the other 90% of all the other great attributes that Wishart has, I see Wishart as a running 5/8, with all the great attributes Ben Hornby provided to the whole club. Wishart actually looked more threatening in last nights GF, than the Dally M winner who has been sensational managing the Storm all year.
Wishart will become better better as he ages like a Fine Red Wine, I believe everything I see will come to fruition, unfortunately people within the club, will sit back do nothing, whilst he'll be celebrating a Premiership with some other Sydney club.

Last edited: