What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICC ODI World Cup Oct-Nov 2023

simmo1

First Grade
We are a punchers chance against India but realistically need nearly everything to go right. We have won 8 in a row, but every win has come from individual brilliance rather than a complete team performance. It won't work against India.

It will be the funniest thing ever if they do manage to pull it off though.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Have we over achieved?

Most deep down or otherwise wouldn't have had us making the final. Considering how we been playing prior the Cup and also the first couple of games into the Cup,

We put it all together we could give India a huge shake, we have beaten them regularly in white ball bi-series in recent years in their backyard, but the WC India are on another planet

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Have we over achieved?

Most deep down or otherwise wouldn't have had us making the final. Considering how we been playing prior the Cup and also the first couple of games into the Cup,

We put it all together we could give India a huge shake, we have beaten them regularly in white ball bi-series in recent years in their backyard, but the WC India are on another planet
I think we've played as you'd expect but a few teams were very poor helping us along.

England were diabolical.
Pakistan not much better.
Those 2 would have been our main challengers for a semi final spot but they were no where to be seen. The kiwis lost 4 in a row which put them in 4th and a meeting with India.

Then the Seth Efricens did what they do best.

undertaker

Coach
6 times ffs!!
You must've really had the shits!

He did it in the Ashes. He will do it in this semi.
Fangs the Nostradamus!
Made hard work of that chase by the look of things
Nice to finally see a game with bowlers dominating though.
Yep, good to see this sub-250 scoring pitches. A breath of fresh air over the regular 350+ whackathons, aided by short boundaries.

A much more even contest between bat and ball last night, with something on offer for the bowlers.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Have we over achieved?

Minimum benchmark is always the semi final. I think now reaching the final is definitely a pass mark without actually dominating. A lot of the games we have won have had some pretty poor periods of play in them.

My first ODI WC I saw was 1999 when I was 5 years old.

I basically only ever seen WCs consist of Australia winning majority of them 4 out of 6 World Cups.

So it's nice to see we still have that Aura in this tournament when playing poorly we can still get to the final.

We probably blew it in 2019 as well really. We were top seed in for the final group game but lost Khawaja and Marsh to injuries and lost to South Africa who were already out.

That meant we had to play England not NZ in the semi final and the whole finals structure would have been different.

undertaker

Coach
Waka Waka to South Africa.

Another 4 years of torture for them to endure and another generation of players to lose a WC Semi Final.

King Kong on there back just got bigger.
Had Starc/Hazlewood been allowed to bowl out their remaining overs when they were on song, the Aussies had every chance to annihilate the Proteas for a sub-150 total like we did during the 2007 World Cup semi-final.

Although the conditions favoured the bowlers in Kolkata, some bad cricket made the game look much closer than it really was.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Another great reason beating the saffas is this turncoat is now basically one of them.

Missed the cut making the commentary team for this WC. We had to put up with pommie instead.

1700185851935.png

Fangs

Coach
Steve Smith needs his head examined.

We already know how Maxwell plays but Smith does not have a smooth brain. He should have been there at the death.

Needs to be much better on Sunday.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You must've really had the shits!

Fangs the Nostradamus!

Yep, good to see this sub-250 scoring pitches. A breath of fresh air over the regular 350+ whackathons, aided by short boundaries.

A much more even contest between bat and ball last night, with something on offer for the bowlers.
The only downside of that pitch situation is you know what it’s all leading to. India got a road against NZ then a bowler friendly pitch got thrown up for the other semi just so the Indian brains trust could see how their opponents would deal with it. All just intel gathering so India get the perfect pitch for the final.

Cummins' decision to bring Zampa on late was perplexing, instead of bowling Hazlewood out. We're not gonna have that kind of margin for error against India. He lacks a feel for the game.

I think a lot rides on Smith and Labuschagne as to whether or not they can anchor our innings. Without one of those two (or both) batting for the majority of it, I struggle to see us getting up. Our bowling I'm confident in, they've been there before, know what's required, and can deliver on it.