What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

idris or jennings

typicalfan

Coach
He was a world ranked athlete who gave up the Olympics to play League. He has a lot of natural ability, way more than anyone would imagine given his size. And once he looses the baby fat he'll be able to show it even more. I'm not saying he'll be the greatest skill machine the games ever seen, so don't go putting words into my mouth. But he'll improve out of sight.

I don't think he'll move into the forwards. If he does, it won't be until late in his career. He could be moulded into one of the top centres and I can't see him moving, especially when we have a plethora of back rower already.
I think it will take a good few seasons to see Idris really take hold of the competition if he does. He is a guy who only made his debut mainly because of his size really, otherwise he would still be on the fringe imo. He is underdeveloped and a few injuries he had proved that imo.

Too hard to tell if he will be as good as Jennings because he has a lot to improve on as well Jennings is yet to be his best either imo, give him ball players more willing to feed him early ball and he will make Gasnier look like nothing.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree Croker is an awesome prospect - one of the best.
But Ayshford ? Average written all over him..dont know what you blokes are fapping over.

Yea i dont know, there is just something i've seen in Ayshford that i really like. TBH people are right, he wasnt all THAT impressive but there is something about him that i think he'll develop into an absolute star.

ByRd

First Grade
Just talking about idris, he needs time to develop. The kid just came through his first year in the top grade and as is the tendency these days people expect alot too quickly. He had some good moments last year and some bad but he is still learning the game and i dont expect to see the best of him for at least another 2 years.

Croker is someone i loved watching last year, this kid can play and i expect him to become a top player in this league.

Red'n'White

Juniors
Jennings. Idris drops too much ball and is a slightly worst defender. Jennings has more speed (not more than Soward though) and can make a one one tackle occasionally. Idris seems to drop off tackles when he has to twist his body around as the attacking player steps of swervs around him.

typicalfan

Coach
Not only that but Jennings appears to accelerate after stepping back against the grain I don't know of any other players that can do this, which gives a slight feeling of inertia when you are watching it especially on TV.

Amazing speed really, guys like Lawrence and Morris are quick in a straight line but cannot do what Jennings can with his pace.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Jennings has equally as much acceleration and agility to go with his speed. Guys like Morris have some agility of course, but their speed is the key. Jennings dances and steps around but in a flash he's off again.

broncos70

Juniors
jennings by far i think..he has the potential to break a game open against the best players like he did the other night, whilst idris is big and strong but i dont notice any footwork, any sort of speed, any sort of defence and any sort of brain..he's just a front rower that can jump with a centres jersey on..potentially great, but way too much smack talk about him for the amount of nothing he's done..

inglis>hodges>folau>jennings>daylight>cooper and morris>more daylight>idris

mrblue

Juniors
<snip>... is big and strong but i dont notice any footwork, any sort of speed, any sort of defence and any sort of brain..he's just a front rower that can jump with a centres jersey on..potentially great, but way too much smack talk about him for the amount of nothing he's done..

You have just described folau to a tee

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
One of the qualities that Cyril Connel (I think thats right) saw in Darren Lockyer was his ability to change direction and not lose speed or balance. Just a similarity I see in Jennings.

slammingsam

Juniors
Actually looking at this thread more closely - i cant believe some on here can sit there and honestly say Idris is near Jennings at this moment or is going to be..

LOL !

Idris is big and strong - just like some others who are big and strong and they go nowhere.

Jennings qualities you cant teach - he is an exceptional talent..
Idris will fizzle out.

slammingsam

Juniors
Also if i have a choice out of Croker or Idris - i would take Croker.
He has much more to his game and is much more then power and size ( Idris )

typicalfan

Coach
One of the qualities that Cyril Connel (I think thats right) saw in Darren Lockyer was his ability to change direction and not lose speed or balance. Just a similarity I see in Jennings.
Actually he and Renouf were the only two I thought of, Lockyer certainly had it but probably didn't quite have the overall pace Jennings has nor did he do it at the same angles or velocity Jennings does but obviously can kick and pass as good as anyone and that is where he really used that ability best.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Crokers height concerns me, once teams take note of who he is, he could become a target.

Iv always wondered how Jennings would go at fullback. His height could be a problem, but it never really stopped Wesser, Slater and Bowen

skeepe

Immortal
Crokers height concerns me, once teams take note of who he is, he could become a target.

He's not that short, he's only 6cm shorter than Joel Monaghan. To put it in perspective, he's the same height as Tahu and I haven't heard anyone concerned about his height.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach

Iv always wondered how Jennings would go at fullback. His height could be a problem, but it never really stopped Wesser, Slater and Bowen
It has been suggested before, perhaps of the Slater mould but I still think Jennings is best suited to playing in the centres where a good playmaker can put him through a half hole and let him do his thing. I think it is once he breaches that defensive line then he is in his element.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree, I think Jennings' footwork is to good to not have him up against someone else in the centers, but its his ability in broken play that is so tempting. I dont know about Penriths center depth, but Coote seems a bit to small, Sammut doesnt have what it takes, which is a shame because he has talent. But Jennings could really star there, especially in a position that is quickly becoming more and more important.

Sorry skeep, I just realised that I had Croker mixed up with Justin Carney.

Latest posts