What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if mateo is ready

fredericko

Juniors
If Mateo is ready bring him back str8 away he is too good a player. To compare Lowrie to him though is laughable. As for what to when he returns I think there are a few options to look at.

1. Drop wright and bring Mateo to the bench. My problem with this it effects the front row rotation which has been going so well and the starting back row. If joe was to take up that role then he would have to go back to the bench as it is too much to ask of him to start the game in 2nd row then move to prop. This means Snith starts in the second row.

2. Str8 swap with Smith dropping out.

3. Str8 swap with Lowrie. Initially not the best choice as it again effects the starting line up in the back row with either Mateo/Smith then starting the game and the other one on the bench. Mayeb after Mateo is match fit an option.

4. Drop Burt, move Smith to centres and Inu to wing. Does not effect starting pack or prop rotation. Improves defence out wide and gives us a number of backs all capable of providing strong hit ups. Back 3 of Hayne, Grothe and Inu would be great to see returning the ball back and taking hit ups one after the other. This is my preferred option.

lingard

Coach
if it where my team and mateo is ready to come back into team....
well smith back into centres mateo-inu or reddy to wing on bench and bye bye burty? Woh what a monster set of backs

Im suprised some people are contemplating whether or not to bring him back-He is behind hayne our best player-haha talking about keeping lowrie instead of him-Are use all ok?????
And when keatings fit goodbye robson....

I wouldn`t be putting Smith back to centre. I think he`s just starting to adapt to the back-row and needs as much time there as possible if we are going to get the best value out of him for next year. I`d actually save Mateo for next year. Show some loyalty to the guys on the paddock at the moment.

maybe joe to bench in wrights place and mateo to start in 2nd row? against sharks would be better idea becasue they shouldnt (touch wood) throw as much at us as other teams in our run home, therefore giving mateo some match fitness.

But at the end of the day, i am happy with whatever DA chooses, he knows best.

yy_cheng

Coach
I would drop Wright too.

Lowrie's gone well and has more experience.

Watching the games, Wright doesn't seem to be playing prop at all.

Our go forward is not an issue now. Defense is what we need to concentrate on. Like against the dogs. Hope we don't do it just for one week and forget about it this week.

I completely disagree - Mateo was throwing idiotic offloads prior to his injury, and his defence wasn't exactly brilliant. The win against the Bulldogs came largely off perfect defence.

Lowrie is not perfect, but he has a role in the team - that is, as a defensive sponge. To say he'll cost you more games than Mateo with his soft defence and erratic offloads is just wrong.

This isn't about "being nice" to Todd, anyway. We've won more games with Todd than with Mateo this year. Go figure.

For the record, I agree - on potential, which he rarely meets consistently anyway, Mateo is a super player.

But the Lowrie hate here is unbelievable. There are other types of players, you know - you don't have to run like Fui or offload like SBW to be a good player. Lowrie has improved his attack and his defence is as solid as ever. But hey - he doesn't offload at will or pull a freakish pay out of his arse ONCE IN A BLUE MOON like Mateo so he automatically sucks.

Mateo wasnt throwing 'idiotic' passes prior to his injury. Last year he was, but earlier this year he appeared to have been told to reign in his offloading and was much more selective.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mateo wasnt throwing 'idiotic' passes prior to his injury. Last year he was, but earlier this year he appeared to have been told to reign in his offloading and was much more selective.

I disagree - I remember a few games where he was making 4 or 5 errors a game and they were all from pushing a bad pass.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Lowrie also isnt in DA's plans too (I believe). I believe that Galavao has been playing better then Lowrie, I dont see why we should have to move Galavao to prop to suit Mateo over Lowrie.

I dont think its a tough choice at all, pretty simple to me to be honest.

Don't be surprised if Lowrie is re-signed at a better price...He's a good back-up.

You don't see how we should move Galuvao...I don't see why Lowrie should automatically be dropped when the one thing he is good at, defence, is what has won us our last two games.

If Mateo is ready bring him back str8 away he is too good a player. To compare Lowrie to him though is laughable. As for what to when he returns I think there are a few options to look at.

1. Drop wright and bring Mateo to the bench. My problem with this it effects the front row rotation which has been going so well and the starting back row. If joe was to take up that role then he would have to go back to the bench as it is too much to ask of him to start the game in 2nd row then move to prop. This means Snith starts in the second row.

2. Str8 swap with Smith dropping out.

3. Str8 swap with Lowrie. Initially not the best choice as it again effects the starting line up in the back row with either Mateo/Smith then starting the game and the other one on the bench. Mayeb after Mateo is match fit an option.

4. Drop Burt, move Smith to centres and Inu to wing. Does not effect starting pack or prop rotation. Improves defence out wide and gives us a number of backs all capable of providing strong hit ups. Back 3 of Hayne, Grothe and Inu would be great to see returning the ball back and taking hit ups one after the other. This is my preferred option.

Firstly, nobody is comparing Mateo to Lowrie. They are two totally different types of players.

Secondly, you'd drop Burt? For a forward? WTF?

SDM

First Grade
He went pretty bad in the Manly game, but he was playing injured.

I think DA will just want him to get through a couple more weeks of contact and wrestling at training before he plays him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He's not a bad player, by any means.

But I find it curious as to why he's placed on such a pedestal when his 2009 season, even before his injury, wasn't exactly brilliant. He even made errors from forcing silly passes - something which Lowrie did and was labelled as Lucifer incarnate, but apparently it's OK for Feleti to do because he has more skill. He missed simple tackles which is just not on for a forward.

My point simply is that whoever misses out can count himself unlucky.

mickdo

Coach
But I find it curious as to why he's placed on such a pedestal when his 2009 season, even before his injury, wasn't exactly brilliant. He even made errors from forcing silly passes - something which Lowrie did and was labelled as Lucifer incarnate, but apparently it's OK for Feleti to do because he has more skill. He missed simple tackles which is just not on for a forward.

Because Mateo has more brilliant games already under his belt than Lowrie will ever have decent ones. I just don't understand this Lowrie love. The guy is average.

hindy111

Post Whore
has anyone considered that mateo's bad form and silly passes where more or less cause he was trying to win the game for us
he could of did nothing and we loose or he could try something and we loose by more or maybe win.... I see he was trying more cause he knew he was the only option

Eelementary

Post Whore
has anyone considered that mateo's bad form and silly passes where more or less cause he was trying to win the game for us
he could of did nothing and we loose or he could try something and we loose by more or maybe win.... I see he was trying more cause he knew he was the only option

You're probably right, mate.

But my point was: why does Lowrie get crucified for throwing a bad pass, but nobody crucifies Mateo for doing the same thing?

True, in terms of skill and ability there is a big, big difference between the two. But there is also a difference in commitment imo - I have seen Mateo clock off, specially in defence, but Lowrie has always given his all.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Because Mateo has more brilliant games already under his belt than Lowrie will ever have decent ones. I just don't understand this Lowrie love. The guy is average.

Lowrie is not a ball-playing back-rower. He's a defence-oriented back-rower. Comparing the two doesn't work.

Yes, he's average. But if you want a team full of Mateos, Haynes and Inus, then you're following the wrong team in the wrong code - try Manchester United....

Seriously - what is everyone's obssession with every player having to be a super-duper star to be a half decent player?

What do Luke Williamson, Shane Perry, Matt Geyer, Sean Rudder, and Scott Sattler all have in common? They're all average players who have won a Premiership.

hybrideel

Bench
Ok lets compare the averages of Mateo and Lowrie for this season
Mateo
13.78 runs, 100.22 metres, 0.11 Line break, 3.78 hitups, 3.44 offloads, 27.22 tackles, 3.33 missed tackles and 1.33 errors. He did have a high mistake rate against the dragons with 4 and roosters and eagles with 3, funnily enough all losses so an argument could dbe made about pushing passes in desperate situations. he has a terrible game against the broncos missing 8 tackles and only making 22.
Lowrie
7.84 runs, 55.53 metres, 0.16 line break, 5.37 hitups, 0.53 offloads, 16.74 tackles,
2 misses tackles and 0.58 errors. made 2 errors against the broncos(first game) and 1 in 9 others, missed 5 and made 32 tackles in the same bronco game and is averaging 2.8 missed tackles in our past 5 games which is when we started to show some form

oldmancraigy

Coach
What do Luke Williamson, Shane Perry, Matt Geyer, Sean Rudder, and Scott Sattler all have in common? They're all average players who have won a Premiership.

What do players like Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, Darren Lockyer and Sonny Bill Williams have in common? (throw in Scott Prince and Benji Marshall too)

They're all "flashy" players who helped their teams score enough points to win a premiership.

What are you on Eela if you think this team doesn't need a shot of Feliti Mateo in the worst possible way?? The guy is an out and out playmaker who can trouble the defence with his running, passing, offloading or kicking ability. Our offence is pretty well dead-last in the league; we've gone past 30 points like once this season and need someone to generate our attack in the worst possible way.

Why on earth would we stick with 2 'toiling clones' in Lowrie and Ben Smith when we could bring in a guy who has a similar defensive work-rate, but makes a tremendous impact with ball in hand?

From Anderson's mouth, Mateo isn't fit to return this week, so we'll have to wait on him. But he's in our top tier of players - as soon as he's right to go he has GOT to be in the team. And it's Ben or Todd who are keeping the seat warm for him.

hybrideel

Bench
Todds best running game was against the storm when he had 14 for 93 metres
Best defensive game for total tackles was the 32 against the broncos, best made/missed ratio was 23/2 against the titans
Feleti's best running game was the 18 runs for 145 metres against the dragons
Best total tackles and made/missed ratio was against the raiders with 42 made and 1 missed

Latest posts