What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Parramatta win the comp.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Im not talking about the length of the season. Im talking about the top 8 system. Half the teams making the finals is a joke. In past years we have had 8th position who has lost more games than they have won. Im aware Parramatta arent in that position but you would agree that your first 2/3 of the season there were people tipping you as Wooden Spooners. A team playing that bad doesnt deserve a shot at the title from 7th or 8th spot. The Tigers of 05 were BRILLIANT. They had beaten the last years grand finalists before their run even started. They got to 4th even though they lost in rounds 25 and 26 which also shows they didnt leave their run too late. They deserved their spot in the finals and deserved their premiership.

Should be top 6. The only reason we have top 8 is for more games and more money.

Alright top six or top 8 it will still be the same teams battling it out!! the only spots that are tied up its the top 3.. Parra deserve their spot They have won more games then they have lost and Usually it takes 28 comp points to make the 8 this year its going to be 29 or even 30...

Im not talking about the length of the season. Im talking about the top 8 system. Half the teams making the finals is a joke. In past years we have had 8th position who has lost more games than they have won. Im aware Parramatta arent in that position but you would agree that your first 2/3 of the season there were people tipping you as Wooden Spooners. A team playing that bad doesnt deserve a shot at the title from 7th or 8th spot. The Tigers of 05 were BRILLIANT. They had beaten the last years grand finalists before their run even started. They got to 4th even though they lost in rounds 25 and 26 which also shows they didnt leave their run too late. They deserved their spot in the finals and deserved their premiership.

Should be top 6. The only reason we have top 8 is for more games and more money.

You do the realize the Eels could still make the top 6?
So that makes the top 6 a joke according to you ... what next? It should be a top 4? Top 2? First past the post? Or maybe you should STFU cause you are starting to look like an idiot.

Eelementary

Post Whore

* New coach
* Board room drama
* Loss of our star lock and halfback early on
* Loss of our "star" 5/8 in Finch
* Thanks to Hagan, a fairly weak side on paper

I don't see why the fact we've seemingly overcome all that drama a little later than most should automatically rule us out.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
You do the realize the Eels could still make the top 6?
So that makes the top 6 a joke according to you ... what next? It should be a top 4? Top 2? First past the post? Or maybe you should STFU cause you are starting to look like an idiot.

To make the top 6 a lot of things have to go the Eels way. If all those things go your way than that proves the other sides werent good enough but you guys were and than you deserve your spot. What you just said in your last comment was nothing like what i said or meant. You obviously have sub-par comprehension skills so why dont you STFU and take your blue and yellow goggles off for a second and realise that winning 7 games in a row doesnt rate you as the greatest team in history.

Y2Eel

First Grade
To make the top 6 a lot of things have to go the Eels way. If all those things go your way than that proves the other sides werent good enough but you guys were and than you deserve your spot. What you just said in your last comment was nothing like what i said or meant. You obviously have sub-par comprehension skills so why dont you STFU and take your blue and yellow goggles off for a second and realise that winning 7 games in a row doesnt rate you as the greatest team in history.

So you could say the same thing about the top 8??

Not one single Eels supporter would suggest we are 'the greatest team in history'. So stop making things up. Most of us happy where we are now considering the rabble Hagan left us in and most of us would now consider this year a success. But to suggest we don't don't deserve to be in the finals even though we are one point from fourth place is an absolutely stupid thing to write.

Eelementary

Post Whore

At the end of the day, you have nothing to worry about. If the Dogs and Dragons are good enough, they'll make the Grand Final. If they're not, they'll get beaten.

Eels fans thought their team had a right to the 2001 Premiership after dominating - but we lost out to a red-hot Newcastle side. Do we then say, "That's not fair - they didn't deserve it! Parra dominated the comp that year and were clearly the best team of the year, not Newcastle!"? No. The only thing that matters is who is in the best form when it matters.

And as it happens, right now Parramatta is one of those teams.

Yes it will be a fluke. The team your saying may win the competition was running close to the bottom of the ladder 2 months ago. They will make the finals based on 1/3 of a good season. They lost to the sharks for Gods sake and the Sharks may very well run last. Is that who we want as our premiers? The Tigers of 05 made the top 4. The Eels will barely scrape into the 8. This thread isnt a joke. The McIntyre 8 system is a joke for rewarding a team that in all fairness has been shyte for 2/3 of the season when the Bulldogs, Dragons and Titans have busted their asses all year to be top of the ladder. One of those three teams deserves to win the premiership.

I see where you are coming from. However I don't care how good the Top 3 sides have been all season. If they can't overcome challenges from teams in the Top 8 they don't deserve to win the comp. No point going on about a Top 6 to reward consistent teams. It's a Top 8 and if you're team can't beat anyone in their path, they aren't a premiership side.

lifesgood

Juniors
So,

I am gonna start off by saying that I am a Tigers fan and get sick of hearing that our magnificent premiership was a fluke.

My question now is, if Parramatta end up winning the comp, will it be a fluke, or will it be the Dogs and the Dragons choking?

Very much like the Tigers of 05, the Eels are on a massive roll, have the momentum of an avalanche and are playing great and exciting football.

So please tell me what is the difference?

Bubbles

It looks very similar to the Tigers 05 season

Where the dragons and the eels were really the standout performers of the season and both ended up choking with two teams making the grand final debuts.

It wont be eels debut but they were never expected to really make it, so if they do I wonder if the side they verse is another shock

Now you can see how frustrated Tigers supporters get when we get tols our premiership was a fluke.

We won 8 in a row and were the most dominant semi final team I have seen in a long time.

Semi finals are about, defense, pressure and TAKING your opportunities. They are not about IFS, BUTS and COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA.

The Tigers played great football, defended greatly and played attacking football that was breathtaking. Most importantly, they TOOK the chances presented to them.
50 - 6
34 - 6
20 - 12
30 - 16

That is a 134 to 40 for and against it was no FLUKE.

To make this point clear was the reason I started the thread.

Bubbles

Eelementary

Post Whore
I see where you are coming from. However I don't care how good the Top 3 sides have been all season. If they can't overcome challenges from teams in the Top 8 they don't deserve to win the comp. No point going on about a Top 6 to reward consistent teams. It's a Top 8 and if you're team can't beat anyone in their path, they aren't a premiership side.

Exactly - Newcastle did well to prove this in 2001; the Tigers did well to prove it in 2005 when every man and his dog said Parra and the Dragons would duke it out in the decider.

If you're a genuine player in the race you'll beat the lower placed teams no problems.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Now you can see how frustrated Tigers supporters get when we get tols our premiership was a fluke.

We won 8 in a row and were the most dominant semi final team I have seen in a long time.

Semi finals are about, defense, pressure and TAKING your opportunities. They are not about IFS, BUTS and COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA.

The Tigers played great football, defended greatly and played attacking football that was breathtaking. Most importantly, they TOOK the chances presented to them.
50 - 6
34 - 6
20 - 12
30 - 16

Bubbles

I'll admit that, as the 2005 Premiership unfolded, I was guilty of saying it was a fluke.

But I will also admit I only said so because I was bitter we choked and jealous of the Tigers' success. The fact is they truly deserved their win in 2005.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm not sure the 'fluke' talk was about the premiership year itself but what (or lack of) the Tigers have done since and before it...
Maybe they'll actually make the 8 again this year and break it.
Just like the names attached to the Dragons and Eels...

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors

Finally someone understood my post lol. Yeah i see where you're coming from too. Look i still think the top 3 atm are better than Parramatta and will knock them off if both teams come to a game at 100% on the day (big if). One thing nobody is arguing about is this has the potential to be one of the best finals series in recent memory.

Hass

Juniors
I think the big difference between Parra this year and Wests in 2005 is that the Tigers were flying under the radar.

Parramatta and St George-Illawarra were both mega-favourites and appeared to be in good form going into the final series. So unlike the Eels this year (who people are half-expecting to go all the way) no one was expecting the Tigers to make the Grand Final.

I think the "fluke" talk was also a case of the Tigers getting to play the Cowboys in the Grand Final. That's just the way it worked it out. It wasn't the Tigers fault the Eels imploded in the Preliminary Final, but it seems a bit odd when you can win the premiership without beating the Minor Premiers. That's just a flaw of having so many teams in the finals. Under the Final 5 it was impossible to win the comp without beating the Minor Premiers. It made any talk of "fluke" premierships a complete non-starter.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Parra will deserve it if they win, they are awesome, plus a good team
The Tigers fluked it big time. Bradbury premiers if ever i've seen it!

Eels Dude

Coach
Different circumstances. Tigers finished top 4 still in '05 and while they deserved to win better sides that year choked. The Eels are winning big at the moment, really putting sides to the sword. The way they are playing right now is up there with the Dragons and Bulldogs at their best. They've just left the run way too late. Parramatta would need to win 12 games straight to win the comp. If they can do that it will be no fluke.

thommo4pm

Coach

50 - 6
34 - 6
20 - 12
30 - 16

Bubbles

1 close game in that lot....20-12.
That was against us. The Dragons.

So how exactly did we choke?
You get frsutrated at people saying your team fluked it, so how do you think Saints fans feel when people say we choked?
Yet we gave you the hardest, closest match of the Finals series?
How exactly did Saints choke in 2005? This question is a general question, not directed at anyone in particular.

Latest posts