What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez bro, ive told you already like 3 times, do i have to repost the same fkn post over and over again, get it thru that thick skull

THE PERF BEARS!!!!

Nah just kidding PR, luv ya bro...
But its the bears...
you may be right, sadly.

I dont even think Ive ever mentioned the salary cap lol

f**k it, move on dude. We've done this dance in at least 2 other threads where there are numerous posts in numerous threads from you stating that the grant and gaming revenue shouldnt be included in Sydney clubs revenue when determining viability.

Editing other people's quotes is against forum rules. You've done it repetitively.

I challenged you to find a single post of mine that backs up your bullshit strawman. You couldn't do it because the post doesn't exist.

Now you want to "move on".

The bulk of the annual grant covers the salary cap. Surely you know that. My objection has always been the money on top of the cap that's been given to the clubs since John Grant agreed to increase it to 130% of the salary cap in December 2015. I've stated this in numerous threads.

Before John Grant increased the annual grant to 130% of the salary cap the clubs were getting just $7.1m between 2013 and 2016. In 2017 it increased to $7.2m. From 2018 it jumped to $13m. Before 2018 the clubs were getting $200k to $1.25m to spend on football operations. Since 2018 the clubs were given $3m to $3.6m to spend on their football operations. Now they're getting an extra $5m per year. It's growing out of control.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
I challenged you to find a single post of mine that backs up your bullshit strawman. You couldn't do it because the post doesn't exist.

There are at least 3 threads where you deride the inclusion of gaming and grant revenue, I do not have the time or the inclination to go back and find each and every incidence of you doing so, but they exist and they are plentiful.

Now you want to "move on".

Surely even you can see we've gone way off topic dude, Move the f**k on.

There are at least 3 threads where you deride the inclusion of gaming and grant revenue, I do not have the time or the inclination to go back and find each and every incidence of you doing so, but they exist and they are plentiful.

The only time I omitted the entirety of the annual grant and gaming machine revenue was when discussing the monetary value of each club's brand. There's a good reason for that. The monetary value of each brand is determined by what the free market is willing to spend on sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership. It would be insane to include the annual grant and gaming machine revenue to determine the monetary value of each club because that's from other sources.

Surely even you can see we've gone way off topic dude, Move the f**k on.

Agreed. Let's move on.

Bring in the West Coast Pirates and send a Sydney club to Adelaide.

Pneuma

First Grade
The only time I omitted the entirety of the annual grant and gaming machine revenue was when discussing the monetary value of each club's brand. There's a good reason for that. The monetary value of each brand is determined by what the free market is willing to spend on sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership. It would be insane to include the annual grant and gaming machine revenue to determine the monetary value of each club because that's from other sources.

Agreed. Let's move on.

Bring in the West Coast Pirates and send a Sydney club to Adelaide.
Drugs kiddies- look what happens ^^^^^^ don’t be a Donkey. Don’t take drugs.

Idris 84

Juniors
The one where you are judging expansion into afl territory based on news ltd putting in one hundred million and the team being able to avoid the normal cycle and stay successful for almost 20 years so fans don’t see a bad side for a while

News. Ltd can say they are onboard, like they did to the AFL on the suns and giants. Then basically ran them into the ground through their newspapers in nsw and qld and news.com.au etc. by using all the code wars/invasion stuff.

I honestly think news like the status quo of league in NSW and QLD and AFL in all the other states. It works for their business model having two sports dominant in each market and both sports going through foxtel, it gives them ultimate control, they might pull the same trick in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In a futile effort to get this thread back on track, yes I know!, lets talk stadiums as it has come up in the NZ thread.

Currently Perth has HBF Park which has a capacity of 20,500, mostly seated with around 15k of that undercover. It has standing on terraces for about 800 in the shed end and a little bit of grasshill left in a corner.

Corporates are hit and miss. Not terrible but somewhat ltd in number and not a patch on Optus facilities.

Now there is no way an NRL club will play at Optus other than potentially for major finals games so HBF park will be the home base. With two stands now done my hope is part of the WA Govt support will be to rebuild the West stand. It has some issues in regards to heritage interest but thats never stopped a WA govt bulldozing something. A new corporate West stand along the lines of whats at Commbank would be perfect. Would lift capacity to around 25k which would be ideal for an NRL club in Perth.

Its not commbank or NQ stadium by any means but the intimacy, proximity to the city and the character of HBF park makes it a bit like a suburban ground but with modern day facilities and seating capacity. Sort out the West stand and I reckon it will be a cracking NRL stadium.

Thoughts?

hbf park2.jpghbf park.jpg
Nib_Stadium.jpg

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
In a futile effort to get this thread back on track, yes I know!, lets talk stadiums as it has come up in the NZ thread.

Currently Perth has HBF Park which has a capacity of 20,500, mostly seated with around 15k of that undercover. It has standing on terraces for about 800 in the shed end and a little bit of grasshill left in a corner.

Corporates are hit and miss. Not terrible but somewhat ltd in number and not a patch on Optus facilities.

Now there is no way an NRL club will play at Optus other than potentially for major finals games so HBF park will be the home base. With two stands now done my hope is part of the WA Govt support will be to rebuild the West stand. It has some issues in regards to heritage interest but thats never stopped a WA govt bulldozing something. A new corporate West stand along the lines of whats at Commbank would be perfect. Would lift capacity to around 25k which would be ideal for an NRL club in Perth.

Its not commbank or NQ stadium by any means but the intimacy, proximity to the city and the character of HBF park makes it a bit like a suburban ground but with modern day facilities and seating capacity. Sort out the West stand and I reckon it will be a cracking NRL stadium.

Thoughts?

View attachment 70096View attachment 70098
View attachment 70099
Site’s biggest hypocrite and thread wrecker taking the high moral ground again?

Maximus

Coach
I'm not sure why I'm being brought up in a thread that I've never posted in, but oh well I guess I'll call out the liar again

No I wasnt. And it was one poster who claimed I did something that no one else agreed with...but you. And he hasnt really posted in that thread since. That does seem a little convenient.

Literally you and the other person I called out are the only 2 people who responded as nobody else gave a shit. Nobody else was even really posting about what you accused him of saying in the first place, so me providing evidence of your lies means nothing to them.

I said it was an odd coincidence that he popped up to agree with your position and then vanished, yes.

Popped up? You know I had posted roughly 70 times in that thread before that right? Very few of those were in discussions involving him. But yeah my 7500 post account that has been around for nearly 12 years is totally an alt account of a guy who has been here 2.

Canard

Immortal

Thoughts?

View attachment 70096View attachment 70098
View attachment 70099

It could only be a short term home surely?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I read this the more I realise location is irreverent & viability is everything. I'm not sure how viable Perth is without a big money backer or the nrl willing to take bath for many years
Why do you say that?
club needs around $28-30million revenue moving forward.
grant is going to end up being $17-18mill
sponsorship needs to be around $8-10million
fanbase revenue needs to be around $3-4million
I dont see why Perth can’t achieve those numbers.

A rich owner is good if you fall on hard times or if you need investment cash to generate future revenue, but in this day and age an nrl club shouldn’t be reliant on owners money to be viable.

Wb1234

Referee
The more I read this the more I realise location is irreverent & viability is everything. I'm not sure how viable Perth is without a big money backer or the nrl willing to take bath for many years
The reality is with clubs getting 5 million grant over the cap you could put a club anywhere you want and there’s a strong chance it will break even on crowds as low as 8k

of course they won’t be just adding anyone and the next club will have to have strong backers and (if it’s Perth) government support but the current funding model makes it very easy on expansion clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
The reality is with clubs getting 5 million grant over the cap you could put a club anywhere you want and there’s a strong chance it will break even on crowds as low as 8k

of course they won’t be just adding anyone and the next club will have to have strong backers and (if it’s Perth) government support but the current funding model makes it very easy on expansion clubs
I suspect you really don’t know the running costs of an nrl club lol

ideally we are looking at 20k plus membership and 15k plus active attending fans to realise a return enough to cover off the fanbase revenue needed for a club to thrive independent of pokies or owner spend.

if we look at cowboys in 2021 as an example of what perth should be aiming to match or better (crowd avg 13.5k):

merch sales $1.3mill
memberships $3mill
gate takings and game day sales $5.9mill
Sponsorship $9mill

if we can achieve that the club will be in a very healthy financial position regardless of owners wealth.

Last edited:
A new club from Perth will have to generate at least $8-10 million from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticking and membership. There would be more than enough money in Perth's business sector to generate that revenue.

The ARLC needs to negotiate a very favourable stadium rental deal with the WA gov to keep operating costs as low as possible. Give them a guaranteed Origin every second or third year as a sweetener in exchange for free stadium rental or a cut price deal.

What really f**ked the Titans in 2015 was having to pay $2m per annum just to use Robina Stadium.