What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Pneuma

First Grade
I like that they had some decent crowds but that doesn't mean fans.
A new team attracts a crowd, after 10 years you know how many were fans.

You will always get a sugar hit at the start, an exciting new curiosity.
The fact that a code of football as allegedly as big as rugby league is in this country could have a ‘sugar hit’ in a State the size of WA says so much about the failure of the code’s administration to promote it and make it a truly national game.

Colk

First Grade
The fact that a code of football as allegedly as big as rugby league is in this country could have a ‘sugar hit’ in a State the size of WA says so much about the failure of the code’s administration to promote it and make it a truly national game.

I just don’t buy this viewership argument at all. If you can’t wrangle enough
supporters/consumers in a city of over two million people that says more about your product than anything else.

There’s also two other factors that people seem to be forgetting

1. We live in a society, due to technology, where societies are interconnected. People essentially move to anywhere in the world for career or lifestyle opportunities. We don’t live and die in the same suburb anymore.

2. People on here, including me hate fumbleball. They also might only watch rugby league. But that’s probably a minority. People can follow more than one sport at a time and there might be a whole lot of people who probably follow both fumbleball and league and have no particular aversion to either.

The only argument (to me) against Perth or most other expansion ideas is player talent/depth. Even then though every problem has a solution.

Gobsmacked

Bench
So

So you’re judging the reds on a fanbase that never got chance to develop? Or are you a Nostradamus and knew what the crowd avg would have been in 2005 if they hadnt been culled? I’m not sure the point you are making here.
where the reds crowds terrible in comparison to the rest of the competition? No
did they show real and genuine potential for a successful club? Yes
is any of that relevant to 30 years later? Not really

like I said money and fans are not going to be a WA clubs problem, signing a good first few years squad is.
What I'm saying is that we can't say they were a " fanbase ", they were attendees. Big difference.
Any 2 teams could play in Perth today and get 20k because there's not a lot of opportunities to see a league game. It's rare. After 10 years it's not rare...
Perth will likely have the smallest attendance after 10 years, especially if they're not performing.
That's just the reality, don't shoot the messenger.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Haha what fate? The fact the force are now the richest club in the country? Or that the eagles are the biggest sports club in the country? Or that the wildcats are the most successful sports club in the country?
The owner of the Force is rich. Meaning nothing. Actually expect better from you.
Until 1 particular rich person decided to pick up the tab, they were done.

Wb1234

Referee
What I'm saying is that we can't say they were a " fanbase ", they were attendees. Big difference.
Any 2 teams could play in Perth today and get 20k because there's not a lot of opportunities to see a league game. It's rare. After 10 years it's not rare...
Perth will likely have the smallest attendance after 10 years, especially if they're not performing.
That's just the reality, don't shoot the messenger.
I’m worried about what the storm will look like when they aren’t a super star team

at least the roosters have assets to cover their poor relative fan base

Wb1234

Referee
The owner of the Force is rich. Meaning nothing. Actually expect better from you.
Until 1 particular rich person decided to pick up the tab, they were done.
Plus south’s have packer and mark cannon brooks

brooks purchase of south’s valued them at 80 million

Gobsmacked

Bench
I just don’t buy this viewership argument at all. If you can’t wrangle enough
supporters/consumers in a city of over two million people that says more about your product than anything else.

There’s also two other factors that people seem to be forgetting

1. We live in a society, due to technology, where societies are interconnected. People essentially move to anywhere in the world for career or lifestyle opportunities. We don’t live and die in the same suburb anymore.

2. People on here, including me hate fumbleball. They also might only watch rugby league. But that’s probably a minority. People can follow more than one sport at a time and there might be a whole lot of people who probably follow both fumbleball and league and have no particular aversion to either.

The only argument (to me) against Perth or most other expansion ideas is player talent/depth. Even then though every problem has a solution.
It might be true that people can follow more than 1 sport. I don't mind AFL but I much prefer League.
League has 8 games every week..
I never get to watch them all, so there's no chance I'm squeezing in a game of AFL.
That's the same for AFL fans which is 95% of west Australians. While they might appreciate League and might even attend some games if they got a brand new shiny teams but after the shine where's off the most they'll manage is checking the results.
It will hardly register a blip on ratings and crowds will dwindle. All at a very expensive cost to every other club in the NRL.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I’m worried about what the storm will look like when they aren’t a super star team

I totally agree. We've been blessed with Bellamy and what he did for that club.

Pneuma

First Grade

In other words you hope they fail. Seriously give it a break. You are so transparent it’s getting ugly.

Colk

First Grade

The owners of the Storm are very very wealthy. They are fine.

Most clubs are owned either by super wealthy individuals like these or backed by wealthy leagues clubs. No club is going to die (at least in the near future)

Pneuma

First Grade
That's a ridiculous assumption.
He simply stating a fact we are all aware of.
You could make the same statement about any club. The Storm are one of the clubs best positioned to handle some poor years. The only reason old mate mentions them in particular is because they have demonstrated expansion can succeed. He and his mate have the same agenda. No Perth. Melbourne to fail. It’s blindingly obvious.

Wb1234

Referee
The owners of the Storm are very very wealthy. They are fine.

Most clubs are owned either by super wealthy individuals like these or backed by wealthy leagues clubs. No club is going to die (at least in the near future)

Yeh I don’t think they would die but I want to see what their finances are like when things normalise

How many of their fans hang around

remember they used to average 10k or so at Olympic park

Pneuma

First Grade
Yeh I don’t think they would die but I want to see what their finances are like when things normalise

How many of their fans hang around

remember they used to average 10k or so at Olympic park
Did you ever go to Olympic park? It was a joke. Hey but keep looking for the negatives even if they are 20 years or so old.

Pneuma

First Grade
Reality hitting into your fantasy world
My fantasy world of actually attending a Storm South’s game over 20 years ago with a Rabbitohs mate and freezing our asses off in a ground that was built for purpose for the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics?

Wb1234

Referee
My fantasy world of actually attending a Storm South’s game over 20 years ago with a Rabbitohs mate and freezing our asses off in a ground that was built for purpose for the 1956 Melbourne Summer Olympics?
The one where you are judging expansion into afl territory based on news ltd putting in one hundred million and the team being able to avoid the normal cycle and stay successful for almost 20 years so fans don’t see a bad side for a while