What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Wb1234

Referee
I'm talking specifically about the new stadia though, like SFS and Western Sydney.

Those are really the only compareable ones to Lang Park, Robina and Townsville.

I would hope that, for example, the Tigers pay f**k all to play at Leichardt (and should be getting paid to play there to be frank).
New Stadia it’s all govt

dumps like lo I’m sure council let them make the sales from the tiny shops

Wb1234

Referee
I'm talking specifically about the new stadia though, like SFS and Western Sydney.

I would hope that, for example, the Tigers pay f**k all to play at Leichardt (and should be getting paid to play there to be frank).
Sometimes clubs get raped

in England hull fc agreed to a base rent and then any crowds over 7500 were split with the stadium management company so they can’t make money despite crowds over 10k

Iamback

Coach

Leichhardt is similar to Penrith, Tigers get it for free but pay the gameday costs

Those Stadiums it depends on the contract signed, Souths for example get a better deal at Accor then Allianz. Roosters get a deal being a FT tennant

Iamback

Coach
New Stadia it’s all govt

dumps like lo I’m sure council let them make the sales from the tiny shops

Penrith is free but they have to pay for everything to upkeep it, Includes naming sponsor though.
Sharks clearly own there but hence why crowd numbers mean nothing if clubs are still losing money

Wb1234

Referee
Penrith is free but they have to pay for everything to upkeep it, Includes naming sponsor though.
Sharks clearly own there but hence why crowd numbers mean nothing if clubs are still losing money
The new stadium won’t be free lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
A bit simplistic, but sure if your club cant grow crowds and corporate partners then playing in the cheapest option with low capacity and sht facilities makes sense. But then should you be in the NRL?

Wb1234

Referee
Yep looking at how much Roosters prices have gone up, Will be carnage
It’s all about the corporate facilities

Penrith’s as expected with an old stadium are poor

parra having one side mainly for corporates is the way to go

since the new stadium I think I read the eels football revenue has increased 2 or 3 million pa

plus the leagues clubs profits have gone through the roof (both which apply to you guys)

Dolphins are charging more for their games at Dolphin stadium than their ones at Suncorp!
Firehawks would have been the better option as Brisbane's second team. The core of its fanbase would be within 30 to 50 minutes of Lang Park and able to utilise the free bus services that take people into the ground.

II've seen people on here claim you can drive from Redcliffe to Milton and book a cheap parking space months in advance. That's okay for the few die hard fans from Moreton Bay who are committed to attending games, but it's not an option for casual fans.

Its a good question and I think varies depending on type of deal. Some clubs get a % share of food and drink but pay higher rent, those that pay less rent give up on the other revenue. SMC's and clubs keep stadium deals very close to their chest so its impossible to say whose paying what. I think I worked out from Broncos financials they pay about $400k a game for Suncorp but no idea waht the get back in terms of food and drink share etc. I know HBF Park hire varies between $80k-125k depending on expected crowd size. But again what that detail is is anyone's guess.
$400k per game would be $4,800,000 a year!

According to this article the Suns were also paying $2M annually to rent Carrara. This article is undated but I assume was around the time of the Titans issue

I also see in a pay walled article that the Brisbane Roar and Suns are in a dispute over unpaid rent. (I can't open it)

It raises an interesting point though, Governments are being asked to build stadiums that cost the Taxpayer $100s of millions, how is there build and WOL costs going to be met?

Reducing the rent to teams only means the taxpayer is footing the bill.

I had no idea the Suns were given a shit deal like the Titans. It would explain why both clubs have haemorrhaged money. Both the NRL and AFL are stupid for signing off on it.

Hopefully that idiot @Wb1234 will shut up about both clubs being a failure?

Any club that's forced to operate under those conditions is going to fail. Sydney clubs are lucky that they don't have to cover these exorbitant expenses.

Last edited:
I just found this article from 2011. It shows some teams are given preferential treatment. This discrimination needs to end.

The Queensland government enjoys a monopoly position with stadiums in Brisbane, owning both Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba.

Sydney has competition between the government controlled SCG and Sydney Football Stadium Trust and the privately managed ANZ Stadium at Homebush, while the big spectator sports in Melbourne can shop between the MCG and Etihad Stadium.

This year's sell out A-League grand final at Suncorp between the Brisbane Roar and Central Coast Mariners cost Football Federation Australia $750,000 in event and transport charges, compared to the $150,000 fee incurred when soccer's big game was played at the SFS.

No two deals at Suncorp are the same, with this month's capacity crowd Super 15 final between the Queensland Reds and the Canterbury Crusaders costing SANZAR $600,000 in rental.

The charges for staging this year's rugby league State of Origin series at the 52,500-seat Suncorp were higher than the costs at the 85,000-seat ANZ Stadium.

The NRL's Brisbane Broncos and the Roar are regular tenants of Suncorp and pay far higher rents than their rivals in other Australian states.

The Queensland government also owns Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, home of the NRL's Titans and A-League's United.

The Titans pay $300,000 per game rental, while their rivals for the wooden spoon, the Sydney Roosters, pay $40,000 a game for hiring the SFS.

Gold Coast United's owner, Clive Palmer, considered charges at Skilled Park so prohibitive he placed a 5000 cap on the crowd to avoid a mandatory $16,500 ''transport management fee'' imposed by the event managers Stadiums Queensland.

However, the AFL's expansion team, the Gold Coast Suns, enjoys very generous terms at its Carrara Stadium, also owned by the Queensland government.

The Carrara negotiations took place just before the 2009 Queensland elections and AFL chief commissioner, Andrew Demetriou, was able to secure a very good deal with a state government desperate to retain seats on the Gold Coast.

The AFL contributed $10 million to the Carrara re-development which cost the federal and Queensland governments $145m and, for the AFL's small contribution, they were able to secure management rights.

The AFL subsequently passed the rights on to the Suns who are able to employ their own security, cleaners and caterers, while the sports which hire Suncorp and Skilled Park must pay the charges imposed by Stadiums Queensland.

Perhaps the Bulldogs' deal at ANZ Stadium, where they pay rent, compared to the NRL's Rabbitohs who receive $80,000 a match, may also have something to do with their willingness to play interstate, particularly with the South Australian government offering incentives for bigger crowds.

The disparity between payments to the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs at the same stadium, together with Queensland's exorbitant rents, does highlight the need for the NRL to have a stadium strategy, particularly with expansion on the horizon.

The ARLC should use its riches to build a $50-100m centralised stadium in Brisbane. Something with a capacity of 35k would be perfect for the Broncos, Dolphins and a prospective Firehawks team.

The Titans were paying $3,600,000 per year on stadium rental fees in 2011. The Elmer Fudds were given $800k to play 10 games at Stadium Australia. Souths don't need pokies with deals like that.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I just found this article from 2011. It shows some teams are given preferential treatment. This discrimination needs to end.

The Queensland government enjoys a monopoly position with stadiums in Brisbane, owning both Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba.​
Sydney has competition between the government controlled SCG and Sydney Football Stadium Trust and the privately managed ANZ Stadium at Homebush, while the big spectator sports in Melbourne can shop between the MCG and Etihad Stadium.​
This year's sell out A-League grand final at Suncorp between the Brisbane Roar and Central Coast Mariners cost Football Federation Australia $750,000 in event and transport charges, compared to the $150,000 fee incurred when soccer's big game was played at the SFS.​
No two deals at Suncorp are the same, with this month's capacity crowd Super 15 final between the Queensland Reds and the Canterbury Crusaders costing SANZAR $600,000 in rental.​
The charges for staging this year's rugby league State of Origin series at the 52,500-seat Suncorp were higher than the costs at the 85,000-seat ANZ Stadium.​
The NRL's Brisbane Broncos and the Roar are regular tenants of Suncorp and pay far higher rents than their rivals in other Australian states.​
The Queensland government also owns Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, home of the NRL's Titans and A-League's United.​
The Titans pay $300,000 per game rental, while their rivals for the wooden spoon, the Sydney Roosters, pay $40,000 a game for hiring the SFS.​
Gold Coast United's owner, Clive Palmer, considered charges at Skilled Park so prohibitive he placed a 5000 cap on the crowd to avoid a mandatory $16,500 ''transport management fee'' imposed by the event managers Stadiums Queensland.​
However, the AFL's expansion team, the Gold Coast Suns, enjoys very generous terms at its Carrara Stadium, also owned by the Queensland government.​
The Carrara negotiations took place just before the 2009 Queensland elections and AFL chief commissioner, Andrew Demetriou, was able to secure a very good deal with a state government desperate to retain seats on the Gold Coast.​
The AFL contributed $10 million to the Carrara re-development which cost the federal and Queensland governments $145m and, for the AFL's small contribution, they were able to secure management rights.​
The AFL subsequently passed the rights on to the Suns who are able to employ their own security, cleaners and caterers, while the sports which hire Suncorp and Skilled Park must pay the charges imposed by Stadiums Queensland.​
Perhaps the Bulldogs' deal at ANZ Stadium, where they pay rent, compared to the NRL's Rabbitohs who receive $80,000 a match, may also have something to do with their willingness to play interstate, particularly with the South Australian government offering incentives for bigger crowds.​
The disparity between payments to the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs at the same stadium, together with Queensland's exorbitant rents, does highlight the need for the NRL to have a stadium strategy, particularly with expansion on the horizon.​

The ARLC should use its riches to build a $50-100m centralised stadium in Brisbane. Something with a capacity of 35k would be perfect for the Broncos, Dolphins and a prospective Firehawks team.

The Titans were paying $3,600,000 per year on stadium rental fees in 2011. The Elmer Fudds were given $800k to play 10 games at Stadium Australia. Souths don't need pokies with deals like that.

What's the current status though? You know like what is the this DECADE's situation?

NO 35k stadium in the world costs less than $250M+ now, let alone in the midst of the worst inflationary climate in 30 years combined with massive labor shortages and supply chain issues.

It would be more like $550M and even then, where would you put it, such that it had good transport links and surrounding amenities?

Stewbum

Juniors
I don't think they got any money from the Bulldogs. The 15 year lease they had on Meakin Park crippled them financially. When the Scorpions were forced to sign the lease for Meakin Park with the Logan City Council in 1988 it was more than the combined total of every other sports club in Logan. The club wanted to play at Cronulla Park.

This was at a time when sponsorship and media coverage was scarce because the Broncos entered the Sydney competition. Established clubs like Dolphins and Seagulls almost went under in 1988. Valleys, Brothers and Wests struggled and went bust. Souths would have gone bust without assistance from Canberra Raiders.

The Queensland Gov have handed Cronulla Park to a fumbleball club, courtesy of the tax payer.
Just some awful jerseys.....(from the dogs)

Yeah Redcliffe were ready to close the doors in '88. Didn't know about the Meakin Park thing.

Things only got worse for the BRL when that prize wanker Neil Breen took over the Broncos sorry sports coverage at the Courier Snail. Having no team in a rugby league heartland like Logan is insane. Do you remember Brothers-Valleys?

Just some awful jerseys.....(from the dogs)

Yeah Redcliffe were ready to close the doors in '88. Didn't know about the Meakin Park thing.

Things only got worse for the BRL when that prize wanker Neil Breen took over the Broncos sorry sports coverage at the Courier Snail. Having no team in a rugby league heartland like Logan is insane. Do you remember Brothers-Valleys?

Did Brothers-Valleys win a game?

I remember watching them on the ABC about 20 years ago. I think they only played one season of Queensland Cup before dropping down to Brisbane A Grade.

At one stage in the 90s the Diehards merged with the Caboolture Snakes. That was in 1995. At the close of the season the club went under.

It's a pity the Titans don't merge with Fortitude Valley to become the Gold Coast Diehards. In 87 and 88 the Diehards merged with Tweed Heads Seagulls to play as Seagulls-Diehards. In fact, the grand final of the 1988 Woolies Pre-Season Cup was contested by Logan City Scorpions and Seagulls-Diehards. That was as good as it got for the Scorpions that year. They finished the season with 2 wins and one draw.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did Brothers-Valleys win a game?

I remember watching them on the ABC about 20 years ago. I think they only played one season of Queensland Cup before dropping down to Brisbane A Grade.

At one stage in the 90s the Diehards merged with the Caboolture Snakes. That was in 1995. At the close of the season the club went under.

It's a pity the Titans don't merge with Fortitude Valley to become the Gold Coast Diehards. In 87 and 88 the Diehards merged with Tweed Heads Seagulls to play as Seagulls-Diehards. In fact, the grand final of the 1988 Woolies Pre-Season Cup was contested by Logan City Scorpions and Seagulls-Diehards. That was as good as it got for the Scorpions that year. They finished the season with 2 wins and one draw.
Like the NSW cup, if you dont have pokies or an NRL club backing you there is no way you can afford to run a competitive team in the Qlnd cup. Its a sorry state that we don't have viable second tier comps as they have become little more than NRL reserve grade pools.

Latest posts