What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If ppl here got their way..

Colk

First Grade
The game is outside of Sydney though.

A League is perfect example of just putting dots on a map doesn't work.

You need the mix of history, hatred and new markets

A League is a completely different beast though. The biggest problem with them is that supporters of soccer in this country are more likely (and justifiably somight I add) to watch European soccer. It is the same reason why NBL isn’t exceedingly popular - people are going to follow better competitions (and why wouldn’t you)

NRL is the best standard of its kind in the kind. The comparison you would make is the AFL - competitions where either the standard o outside for Australia is much worse or there is no competition of its kind outside Australia.

Iamback

Coach
A League is a completely different beast though. The biggest problem with them is that supporters of soccer in this country are more likely (and justifiably somight I add) to watch European soccer. It is the same reason why NBL isn’t exceedingly popular - people are going to follow better competitions (and why wouldn’t you)

NRL is the best standard of its kind in the kind. The comparison you would make is the AFL - competitions where either the standard o outside for Australia is much worse or there is no competition of its kind outside Australia.

There are teams like South Melbourne, Sydney United etc which have a rusted on following. That would be better for the game than the new random teams just put in for the sake of it.

Guys like Scott Penn, Russell Crowe etc are in the game because of their love of the respective clubs. Not the game itself.

The game is outside of Sydney though.

A League is perfect example of just putting dots on a map doesn't work.

You need the mix of history, hatred and new markets
Why is it that Sydney RL fans only care about the history of NSWRL clubs?

You do realise that Queenslanders like me couldn't care less about the history of the NSWRL, right?

The BRL was the most prestigious competition to Queenslanders up until 1988. If you went out to regional Queensland in 1982 you would see kids running around in BRL jerseys and the local media covering the BRL without mentioning the NSWRL.

We all know that Sydney RL fans didn't give a f**k about trampling on the history and tradition of the BRL clubs, yet apparently we're all supposed to care about the NSWRL. That's the sort of entitlement and double standard that makes people hate Sydney and want NSWRL clubs to die the death that would be inevitable if they weren't propped up by broadcast revenue generated in Queensland. Despite all of the delusional bluster about Sydney RL fans propping up the broadcast rights, the fact remains that the value would nosedive if the Queensland clubs and Melbourne went and set up their own competition. If Newcastle and Canberra linked up with Queensland clubs and Melbourne to form a new competition then it would be lights out for the NSWRL clubs. Just look back at the abysmal crowds for ARL in 1997 to see my point. Without Newcastle the figures would have been even more grim for the ARL.

There are teams like South Melbourne, Sydney United etc which have a rusted on following. That would be better for the game than the new random teams just put in for the sake of it.

Guys like Scott Penn, Russell Crowe etc are in the game because of their love of the respective clubs. Not the game itself.
South Melbourne and Sydney United played in front of 5k attendees. I'm old enough to remember just how few people watched the NSL. The only team that had a healthy following was Perth Glory.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

You do realise that Queenslanders like me couldn't care less about the history of the NSWRL, right?

The BRL was the most prestigious competition to Queenslanders up until 1988. If you went out to regional Queensland in 1982 you would see kids running around in BRL jerseys and the local media covering the BRL without mentioning the NSWRL.

We all know that Sydney RL fans didn't give a f**k about trampling on the history and tradition of the BRL clubs, yet apparently we're all supposed to care about the NSWRL. That's the sort of entitlement and double standard that makes people hate Sydney and want NSWRL clubs to die the death that would be inevitable if they weren't propped up by broadcast revenue generated in Queensland. Despite all of the delusional bluster about Sydney RL fans propping up the broadcast rights, the fact remains that the value would nosedive if the Queensland clubs and Melbourne went and set up their own competition. If Newcastle and Canberra linked up with Queensland clubs and Melbourne to form a new competition then it would be lights out for the NSWRL clubs. Just look back at the abysmal crowds for ARL in 1997 to see my point. Without Newcastle the figures would have been even more grim for the ARL.

South Melbourne and Sydney United played in front of 5k attendees. I'm old enough to remember just how few people watched the NSL. The only team that had a healthy following was Perth Glory.

You do realise the NRL is the old NSWRL competition?

It has expanded and will continue to expand.

The old NSL wasn't a like for like. I don't remember every game being televised for starters.
That 5k core of people with the add ons is better than they have now

Perth Red

Post Whore

The old NSL wasn't a like for like. I don't remember every game being televised for starters.
only in lineage. it has no real resemblance to the NSWRL comp anymore and nor should it. The only similarity is that there are loads of traditional Sydney clubs in it. As GROTD points out numerous times lol it was only by fluke of timing of pokie dens that it happened the way it did. Ideally they'd have merged the two comps and had a 12 team comp with 6 BRL & 6 NSW clubs in it initially, but that boat sailed a very long time ago. Then added the likes of Canberra, NQ, Melbourne NZ1&2, Perth, Adelaide and GC.

I dont agree with him though, there is lots of interest in Sydney clubs around the country and a 20/22 team comp with 10 Sydney clubs in it will hopefully be where we land in decades to come. I personally tend to tune in to watch Souths, Tigers and Dragons most weeks. Dont know why I am attracted to following their games but for some reason I do where as I rarely watch Manly, dogs, cronulla, eels or roosters unless they are playing Storm or the above. Eels I'm watching more of their home games as the stadium and crowd adds to the viewing imo.

The NSWRL never broadcast every game. From memory, it had one match broadcast on delay at 8.30pm each Friday, one broadcast live on the ABC each Saturday afternoon and a 40-45 minute highlights package of a game broadcast on Sunday at 6.30pm in its last season.

The only reason NSWRL was in a position to expand is because NSW government legalised gaming machines in al licenced venues in 1956. The NSWRL used this money to run every other competition into the ground. Gaming machines were illegal in licenced venues across Queensland until the early 1990s or mid 1990s. BRL clubs went bankrupt trying to hold onto their players in the face of aggressive raids from cashed up Sydney clubs that had pokies in the 1980s.

only in lineage. it has no real resemblance to the NSWRL comp anymore and nor should it. The only similarity is that there are loads of traditional Sydney clubs in it. As GROTD points out numerous times lol it was only by fluke of timing of pokie dens that it happened the way it did. Ideally they'd have merged the two comps and had a 12 team comp with 6 BRL & 6 NSW clubs in it initially, but that boat sailed a very long time ago. Then added the likes of Canberra, NQ, Melbourne NZ1&2, Perth, Adelaide and GC.

I dont agree with him though, there is lots of interest in Sydney clubs around the country and a 20/22 team comp with 10 Sydney clubs in it will hopefully be where we land in decades to come. I personally tend to tune in to watch Souths, Tigers and Dragons most weeks. Dont know why I am attracted to following their games but for some reason I do where as I rarely watch Manly, dogs, cronulla, eels or roosters unless they are playing Storm or the above. Eels I'm watching more of their home games as the stadium and crowd adds to the viewing imo.
If we can get to 22 teams then there might be enough room for 9 Sydney clubs, but I cannot see our game ever expanding to an eleven game round.

I don't see much support for Sydney clubs outside of Sydney. Up here in Queensland the ratings for games that involve two Sydney clubs are abysmal. The 9Gem ratings for RL games broadcast in Melbourne that don't involve the Storm are about 3k, but range anywhere from 30k to 80k when Storm play. Adelaide and Perth are lucky to draw 15k between them for NRL games. That says to me the only way to grow the game in Adelaide and Perth is by giving them their own teams. Brisbane 2 and a third team will grow ratings in Queensland. We can still rationalise Sydney and still have enough teams to provide Sydney with strong coverage. If we had six teams in Sydney then Foxtel /Ch9 would still be able to broadcast a Sydney team on Thurs, Fri Sat and Sun while opening up room for Adelaide, Perth, NZ 2 and Bris 3 for an 18 team competition. There aren't any more time slots available to fill a 20 or 22 team competition with each game played in a unique time slot.

Colk

First Grade

Are you adding another one PR?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we can get to 22 teams then there might be enough room for 9 Sydney clubs, but I cannot see our game ever expanding to an eleven game round.

I don't see much support for Sydney clubs outside of Sydney. Up here in Queensland the ratings for games that involve two Sydney clubs are abysmal. The 9Gem ratings for RL games broadcast in Melbourne that don't involve the Storm are about 3k, but range anywhere from 30k to 80k when Storm play. Adelaide and Perth are lucky to draw 15k between them for NRL games. That says to me the only way to grow the game in Adelaide and Perth is by giving them their own teams. Brisbane 2 and a third team will grow ratings in Queensland. We can still rationalise Sydney and still have enough teams to provide Sydney with strong coverage. If we had six teams in Sydney then Foxtel /Ch9 would still be able to broadcast a Sydney team on Thurs, Fri Sat and Sun while opening up room for Adelaide, Perth, NZ 2 and Bris 3 for an 18 team competition. There aren't any more time slots available to fill a 20 or 22 team competition with each game played in a unique time slot.
There's no point wishing for things that will never happen! Sydney will not be rationalised and the NRL cant afford to let any team fall over. The best we can hope for is that the old 'not enough talent' and 'need to look after existing clubs' doesn't continue and the NRl grows a pair and starts to expand into new markets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Happy to see Broncos, Titans, Storm, Cowboys to go and play in a Qld comp bringing back BRL clubs
add in Dolphins, Firehawks and Jets plus Newcastle, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Auckland, Christchurch, PNG and 4 Sydney clubs and you've got yourself a good 18 team comp!

There's no point wishing for things that will never happen! Sydney will not be rationalised and the NRL cant afford to let any team fall over. The best we can hope for is that the old 'not enough talent' and 'need to look after existing clubs' doesn't continue and the NRl grows a pair and starts to expand into new markets.
The Sydney clubs are largely dependent on Foxtel. There's no guarantee Foxtel will be around in 5 years from now. If Foxtel goes tits up then the game will no longer be in a position to prop up unprofitable clubs.

I predict that the Sydney clubs who don't get a stadium upgrade will fall behind those who do and end up drawing smaller crowds and lower sponsorship deals.

MugaB

Coach
add in Dolphins, Firehawks and Jets plus Newcastle, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Auckland, Christchurch, PNG and 4 Sydney clubs and you've got yourself a good 18 team comp!
Still cant count.... must have different levels of maths in WA

MugaB

Coach
The NSWRL never broadcast every game. From memory, it had one match broadcast on delay at 8.30pm each Friday, one broadcast live on the ABC each Saturday afternoon and a 40-45 minute highlights package of a game broadcast on Sunday at 6.30pm in its last season.

The only reason NSWRL was in a position to expand is because NSW government legalised gaming machines in al licenced venues in 1956. The NSWRL used this money to run every other competition into the ground. Gaming machines were illegal in licenced venues across Queensland until the early 1990s or mid 1990s. BRL clubs went bankrupt trying to hold onto their players in the face of aggressive raids from cashed up Sydney clubs that had pokies in the 1980s.
This again, pokies ruined BRL,
well sorry, the QLD govt is slow... who's fault is that? Its not the NSWRL fault, it took 40 plus years for qld to legallise gambling, gotta stop using that as an excuse, for BRL going tits up.... QRL is exactly want you want the NRL to be, a core of brl teams, and a host of regional and Png... they've now expanded to include toowoomba again... that's great... seriously stop the whinging about players chasing money in the 80s/90s, nswrl was obviously ahead of the curve in comparison to the other states, everyone is self centred, and looking out for no.1.... the only real folk here talking expansion are the ones looking to see "as-is" plus more.... not rationalization

Pippen94

First Grade

Wait why was brl important to regional qld?! Ipswich, gold coast etc all had their own comps. Brl destroyed them with state league

Pippen94

First Grade
This again, pokies ruined BRL,
well sorry, the QLD govt is slow... who's fault is that? Its not the NSWRL fault, it took 40 plus years for qld to legallise gambling, gotta stop using that as an excuse, for BRL going tits up.... QRL is exactly want you want the NRL to be, a core of brl teams, and a host of regional and Png... they've now expanded to include toowoomba again... that's great... seriously stop the whinging about players chasing money in the 80s/90s, nswrl was obviously ahead of the curve in comparison to the other states, everyone is self centred, and looking out for no.1.... the only real folk here talking expansion are the ones looking to see "as-is" plus more.... not rationalization

Newcastle & Wollongong had pokies but couldn't stop Sydney comp expanding. Pokies in qld wouldn't have changed anything. Sydney is just too important

MugaB

Coach
Wait why was brl important to regional qld?! Ipswich, gold coast etc all had their own comps. Brl destroyed them with state league
.....Well BRL teams bought our best ipswich players, since they had more money from pokies.... please.... players getting paid pittance back before 95, whilst belting each other for weekend sport, and working fulltime... everyone moves to Canberra if wayne promises a wage, to play RL