What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If ppl here got their way..

ok so you cant go to games, sorry to hear that. Before your health issues you went to what then, 1 or 2 NRL games a year?
Whenever the Cowboys were within driving distance I would attend their games. If there were more teams in SEQ then I would have gone to more games as the Cowboys would have been in town more often.

I regularly attended Wynnum Manly games at Kougari Oval and the odd Souths Logan game at Davies Park and Acacia Ridge when they played a their junior base.

The older I get the more reclusive I become.

Menaiduck

Juniors
it’s embarrassing that despite having away fans boosting crowds the Sydney clubs crowd avg still sits lower than the non Sydney clubs. Looked about 5000 eels fans there tonight, so only 15k panthers fans despite their success.
It was sold out days ago. Do you understand what that means?

Colk

First Grade
you sound like john ribot circa 1997 until he realized nobody wants to watch Adelaide vs canberra
You sound like a bloke who has never ventured out of Sydney or had any real world experience. See I can do personal insults as well

By the way Didn’t Super League out rate the ARL? You can’t complain about people not watching in Adelaide if you don’t have a team there. As an analogy. same as if I were the CEO of a company and complained about people not wanting to buy my product when I don’t want to sell to them. It makes no sense.

Firstly, no team is going to die so long as TV money is so high. That’s a great thing.

Secondly, there are high rating (TV/attendance) Sydney teams (St George, South Sydney, Parramatta, Tigers and Dogs when they are going well) and low rating Sydney teams (Cronulla, Manly, Roosters and Penrith). The low rating teams are low rating because of a few reasons - either the demographics of the area, history of the club or the club hasn’t been able to considerably expand their supporter base outside of the area they represent for whatever reason. This is exactly the same outside of Sydney. This is a fairly obvious point that you seem to want to contest for whatever reason.

Thirdly, you can have your Sydney teams but that doesn’t mean we should add to it with the Bears for instance (which is completely insane) or keep adding to areas to consolidate markets you already have. A competition with true national presence is always going to earn more money from TV and advertising as well as from attendances than a competition which doesn’t. It’s pretty simple and you even used an example from a national competition to argue against this point, which again makes no sense.

flippikat

Bench
How many of the people here that argue against rationalizing Sydney have LIVED in cities like Brisbane, Townsville, Auckland or Melbourne where one live NRL game every fortnight is all you get?

Also, how many of the anti-rationalization people have lived in cities like Perth or Adelaide, where there's no local top-tier team, and you may get 1 or 2 live NRL games per year, and an Origin match if really lucky?

I think the experience of living somewhere that's not oversaturated with NRL teams would seriously broaden some minds here.

Colk

First Grade
How many of the people here that argue against rationalizing Sydney have LIVED in cities like Brisbane, Townsville, Auckland or Melbourne where one live NRL game every fortnight is all you get?

Also, how many of the anti-rationalization people have lived in cities like Perth or Adelaide, where there's no local top-tier team, and you may get 1 or 2 live NRL games per year, and an Origin match if really lucky?

I think the experience of living somewhere that's not oversaturated with NRL teams would seriously broaden some minds here.

But only supporters from Sydney matter. Haven’t you learnt this yet Flippikat?

The entitlement complex that is common amongst Sydney RL fans is why I find it hard to sympathise with their whiny complaints. They don't have a legitimate argument or anything valid to whinge about. They have no empathy for rugby league fans outside of NSW but want everyone to make sacrifices for them.

flippikat

Bench
But only supporters from Sydney matter. Haven’t you learnt this yet Flippikat?
It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so fatally limiting for the game.

Maybe I should start lobbying NZ Rugby to add my local club (Avalon Wolves) to Super Rugby?

Why bother taking the 30 minute train trip into Wellington for the Hurricanes when I could walk 5 minutes to Fraser Park?

Oh, and we'd need a local derby rival in Super Rugby.. Stokes Valley will do. Sure they're not in the top tier of Wellington club rugby at the moment, and they don't have a history of winning championships, but their Rhino mascot is very marketable!

siv

First Grade

Maybe starting a comp based in Brisbane for regional teams is better way to go

Colk

First Grade
It really is a no brainer...

glad these interstate people know best

Most people aren’t suggesting that. There are a few people suggesting that you grow outside of Sydney as well.

To be honest, this is not a dialectic argument. You can advocate both.

Iamback

Coach
Most people aren’t suggesting that. There are a few people suggesting that you grow outside of Sydney as well.

To be honest, this is not a dialectic argument. You can advocate both.

The game is outside of Sydney though.

A League is perfect example of just putting dots on a map doesn't work.

You need the mix of history, hatred and new markets

Latest posts