What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the NRL does expand to 18 teams in 2012...

alexc

Will the game have enough top class players? Hopefully by 2012. I'd be all for 18 teams I just hope it is a sustainable competition.

Slackboy72

Coach
I would structure it thusly:

1 x Friday night 7:30pm
1 x Saturday afternoon 2:30pm
1 x Saturday evening 5:30pm
2 x Saturday night 7:30pm
1 x Sunday morning 11:30am
1 x Sunday afternoon 2:00pm
1 x Sunday afternoon 3:00pm
1 x Sunday evening 6:30pm

Don't like the Sunday morning game. Who the hell can get to a game at that time unless it's a broadcast from NZ.
Would personally prefer something like this:
1 x Friday night 7:30pm (FTA)
2 x Saturday afternoon 2:30pm (PAY & FTA)
1 x Saturday evening 5:30pm (PAY)
1 x Saturday night 7:30pm (PAY)
2 x Sunday afternoon 2:30pm (PAY & FTA)
1 x Sunday evening 5:30pm (PAY)
1 x Sunday night 7:30pm (PAY)

The advantages are:
- Less games played on Friday and Saturday night. Easier for people with social lives to get to games.
- No monday night games. Round is over on Monday morning.
- Grand Final would not be the one time of year that a game is played on a sunday night.
Disadvantages are:
- Less scope for broadcast of Toyota Cup games.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I would structure it thusly:

1 x Friday night 7:30pm
1 x Saturday afternoon 2:30pm
1 x Saturday evening 5:30pm
2 x Saturday night 7:30pm
1 x Sunday morning 11:30am
1 x Sunday afternoon 2:00pm
1 x Sunday afternoon 3:00pm
1 x Sunday evening 6:30pm

Saturday afternoon in Sydney would draw very poorly as kids are playing rugby league then.

Sunday morning at 11:30? What the hell? Some people drive an hour or more to get to watch there team, who wants to get out of bed before 10 on a Sunday morning.

I obviously hate whenever they have had a Sunday night game, i dont know why but i just lost interest in the game straight away. Maybe due to the fact Ive watched league ill weekend and i dont feel like watching it then. However i like Monday night because its on another night and it makes Monday more enjoyable.

Id have it the way it is now but add another Sunday 2 o clock game as someone already mentioned, they could have both games fox sports active then at 4 Nine can have their game.

The two teams i would include would be Perth and Wellington, i agree that we dont need any more NSW teams in the competition. Although i dont think we have enough quality players to have an 18 team comp.

Eels Dude

Coach
And what was that reason?

Poor crowds. Mainly due to the fact that it conflicts with sport for the kids, and thus their parents also. I remember 10 years ago when i was still a youngster I had friends who were hesistant about taking up saturday arvo sports because they would miss out on saturday arvo football.

skeepe

Immortal
Junior rugby league isn't always played on Saturday afternoons everywhere. In Sydney maybe, but I thought this was a NATIONAL league. I know that junior league is played Sunday mornings in the ACT.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Junior rugby league isn't always played on Saturday afternoons everywhere. In Sydney maybe, but I thought this was a NATIONAL league. I know that junior league is played Sunday mornings in the ACT.

Well with the majority of games played in Sydney they have to take that into consideration dont they? I mean maybe one Sat afternoon game where they could spread it around but it would be very stupid on the part of the NRL to have two every weekend as someone suggested.

Eels Dude

Coach

Which is probably why they don't play NRL matches on a sunday morning either.

Children's sport in general is either played on saturday mornings and arvos and sunday mornings. It makes sense not to schedule NRL matches at any of these times.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'd love to see 9, fox and maybe seven have rights for NRL games.

This is my plan which I doubt will ever happen :(

All games to be live in all states and territories. Times shown are AEST

Friday
7:30 on 9
7:30 on 7

Saturday
3:00 on 9
3:00 on 7
5:30 on Fox
7:30 on Fox

Sunday
1:00 on 9, 3:00 on 9 (A double header after WWOS, The Footy Show and The Roast)

eels_fan_01

Bench
I'd love to see 9, fox and maybe seven have rights for NRL games.

This is my plan which I doubt will ever happen :(

All games to be live in all states and territories. Times shown are AEST

Friday
7:30 on 9
7:30 on 7

Saturday
3:00 on 9
5:30 on Fox
7:30 on Fox

Sunday
1:00 on 9, 3:00 on 9 (A double header after WWOS, The Footy Show and The Roast)

Whats with you and games clashing? Some people want to watch both games.

Tom Shines

First Grade
7:30 Friday (Ch9 - NSW focused)
7:30 Friday (Ch9 - QLD focused)

5:00 Saturday (Fox)
7:00 Saturday (Ch9 Live) (every Melbourne Storm game played in this timeslot.)
9:00 Saturday (Ch9 Delayed)

2:00 Sunday (Fox Live and Active)
2:00 Sunday (Fox Live and Active, replayed 6:00 on Fox)
4:00 Sunday (Ch9 - Live)

7:00 Monday (Fox)

Brutus

Referee
Perth and Wello

by 2012

or Mr Gallop isn't really serious about the game going forward.

Juzzy83

Juniors
I think the game times all depend on what teams are included in the comp. For example if its a Wellington and Perth side then you can get away with a sunday triple header 11:30am (1:30pm in wellington) then a 2pm (on the eastern seabord) and then a 4 or 5pm (2 or 3pm in Perth) game. Of course this wont always work as these teams wont play at home every weekend. Some other pointers for a Perth game could mean a 9:30pm live game (7:30pm in Perth) on a saturday or fiday night. Im sure 9 would love showing 2 live friday night games. Anyway just something to think about.

Latest posts