What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the NRL does expand to 18 teams in 2012...

eels_fan_01

Bench
It would get pretty complicated to try and have the same timeslots all year round if Perth and Wellington were omitted.

Juzzy83

Juniors
That is why i said "it wont always work" I was just bringing up the point of time zones and how they could be used to spread games out.

Knight87

Juniors
It has been mentioned that Nein are extremely happy with their Friday night double header which allows them to target matches to maximise ratings in both Sydney and Brisbane, but they are less pleased with their Sunday afternoon ratings leading into the evening primetime. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a big push from Nein to have both Friday and Saturday night double headers on free to air in the next contract, abandoning Sunday afternoon telecasts altogether. That would effectively leave Fox with Monday nights and a triple or even quadruple header, possibly all live, on Sunday afternoon/evening. Ultimately that will depend on how much impact Fox suffers in ratings moving from a Saturday night triple header to Sunday afternoon and the division of the costs for the rights between the two companies. Anyone got a breakdown of Fox's Saturday night vs Sunday afternoon ratings?

Leigh.

So, if this scenario comes to fruition, then how do you think the scheduling of matches will turn out to be?

Eels Dude

Coach
I would have thought people with young kids playing footy would be finished by 2pm giving them plenty of time to get to the game.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=7-2154-21123-0-0&sID=19985

According to this the only grades not able to get to matches would be A grade, under 17s and under 19s.

Saturday afternoons shouldn't be a problem.

Um... you've only provided the link for the St George district. I'm sure it's a lot more difficult when considering all junior competitions.

And it's not just footy playing kids that want to go to the footy. Kids that play soccer, netball, tennis, aussie rules, athletics etc would all want to go to the footy. And the parents miss out too because they support as well as drop and pick their kids up.

alien

Referee
Out of the current timeslots where matches are played:

2 x Friday 7:30pm
1 x Saturday 5:30pm
2 x Saturday 7:30pm
1 x Sunday 2pm
1 x Sunday 3pm
1 x Monday 7pm,

if the NRL expanded to 18 teams, which timeslot and day should the extra (9th) match be held on?

And also which two teams should be the ones admitted into the comp in 2012 (unless there are Sydney teams who either fold or merge before then)?

the extra game should be on the sunday

the first team should be the central coast bears. the way they were treated was disgusting. I dont think qld or nz needs another team. i think perth should b the 18th team

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The most important thing is to get Monday Night Football on a FTA provider imo. So much potential if they promote it well.

17th Team: Perth
18th team: Any of Wellington, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast. All have similar amounts of positives.

eels_fan_01

Bench
The most important thing is to get Monday Night Football on a FTA provider imo. So much potential if they promote it well.

17th Team: Perth
18th team: Any of Wellington, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast. All have similar amounts of positives.

I too believe Perth should be the first omitted however i think Wellington would have a huge benefit for the international side of rugby league.

Brycey

Juniors
eels fan, I'm not being a spelling nazi but I think you mean 'emitted'. I don't usually point out petty things like this but omitted is the exact opposite to what you're trying to suggest (omitted is to exclude). Its the same as when people spell re-signing 'resigning', complete opposite meanings.

<end of rant>

nqboy

First Grade
eels fan, I'm not being a spelling nazi but I think you mean 'emitted'. I don't usually point out petty things like this but omitted is the exact opposite to what you're trying to suggest (omitted is to exclude). Its the same as when people spell re-signing 'resigning', complete opposite meanings.

<end of rant>
admitted?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Whats with you and games clashing? Some people want to watch both games.
Basically the good games go and 9 and 7 so the channels have to compete for the ratings and people can watch their team LIVE instead of waiting till 9:30 to watch their team

Razor

Coach
if the NRL expanded to 18 teams, which timeslot and day should the extra (9th) match be held on?

Friday 7:30 x 2
Saturday 3:30
Saturday 5:30
Saturday 7:30
Sunday 2:00
Sunday 3:00
Sunday 7:00
Monday 7:00

And also which two teams should be the ones admitted into the comp in 2012 (unless there are Sydney teams who either fold or merge before then)?

Perth & Ipswich

Raider_69

Post Whore
id play the game at the 2pm sunday arvo game, the code needs more day games, sunday arvo footy is a tradition in this country... we need more of them. i firmly believe there should be a sunday game in sydney where ever possible

and FFS, if this happens, the NRL need to put their foot down and cater a full season draw before the season starts... dates, times, the whole works... the AFL can do it, no reason why we cant

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd sell the games to Ch7 or 10 and 9 and Fox. That way they can show live games into different areas on different channels. Would bring in alot more money and give us much better FTA cover age. ie

Friday night Ch9 NSW or Vic game Live
Friday night Ch7 Q'land or WA game live
Sat Fox games
Sun Fox games + afternoon Ch9 Game live nationally
Mon Night Ch7 game live nationally

Teams i'd have 2013 Perth and Wellington
2016 CC and AN Other Q'land team

and if we lose anyone along the Adelaide

For me a 20 team comp, play each team once plus a SL Millenium Magic style weekend of local rivallry games all played at Sydney's ANZ stadium. SOO moved to weekends with all teams receiving a bye on that weekend leading to a 21 round comp over 24 weeks + playoffs of 8 team Playoff.

Latest posts