What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you drop Hindmarsh now you may as well say he was never a great player

The Lucky State

Juniors
As far as I can see Hindmarsh is doing exactly what he's been doing every year for a long time now. A massive amount of tackles, solid hit ups and the odd nice touch in attack. I cant see why this origin series hes' been any worse. Essentially if you want to drop him now your saying theres something lacking in his game and in my opinion then thats always been lacking. I think hes a great player and should be there without doubt though.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The Original Eye said:
He was never a great player.

:lol:

the guy is a great player, but hasn't been used properly for a few years now. Even though he didn't play that great....40+ tackles in 50 minutes is very impressive.

RABK

Referee
I've always found him to be a great club player, one of the worlds best backrowers - easily an elite player. But certainly overated a lot.

But like Bailey, Ryles, O'Meley and Ryan in recent years he has really failed to leave his mark on Origin football like forwards of the past have eg Harragon, Lazarus, Webcke, Tallis, Kennedy etc.

Civoneceva and Price - adding to their legacy with every game they play - Hindmarsh really hans't shown enough at this level to be compared with some of the forwards i mentioned.

Though from memory - Clyde was much the same and whilst he was far from been an average Origin player he certainly didn't leave his mark on it like he did the winfield cup.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hindmarshs game is now based around defense, but this may not be enough at SOO level. He use to be a great attacking weapon, but now just purely for defense which is such a shame as he's dynamic in attack.

Hurriflatch

Referee
2005 (from memory) Hindmarsh in all 3 games was one of NSW's best I remember him being mentioned for a man of the match award or two during the series.

but yeah he hasn't done it consistantly but thats because he has never been used correctly with the expection of that series in 2005.

Hindmarsh regardless of the level he is playing at if it is club level, origin or test match has never gone well when he plays for the 1st 25 mins gets a rest for 30 minutes and plays the final 25 minutes but for some reason in every game Murray has been coach that has been the basic way Hindmarsh has been used

The Colonel

Immortal
The big problem is they don't use him on the fringes of the ruck as a ball runner - last year he played at prop at various stages. His defense has always been rock solid but on most occassions particularly in the past two series he has been used pretty much solely as a decoy runner. A decoy runner however is only effective when they at least give him the ball sometimes.

The problem is Murray also has another damaging wide runner in Mason - who it must be said has been targetted and contained well at times by Qld by hitting him low and driving him back.

Hindy was one of our best against the Kiwis but then he actually got some ball - the halves probably helped in that area as well.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
The Colonel said:
The big problem is they don't use him on the fringes of the ruck as a ball runner - .

Thats NSW problem right there, all this pre-occupation with "fringe runners". You cant have an entire forward pack made up of "fringe runners" I cant even remember the last time i saw price or civinoceva run at a half. They run straight at the forwards. Lockyer and johnson made almost 100 tackles between them on that right hand side, and what good did that do? You could see the nsw forwards veering towards lockyer everytime they took the ball up. He just took it on, and let thurston handle most of the attack.

The Colonel

Immortal
TheBourbonBeast said:
Thats NSW problem right there, all this pre-occupation with "fringe runners". You cant have an entire forward pack made up of "fringe runners" I cant even remember the last time i saw price or civinoceva run at a half. They run straight at the forwards. Lockyer and johnson made almost 100 tackles between them on that right hand side, and what good did that do? You could see the nsw forwards veering towards lockyer everytime they took the ball up. He just took it on, and let thurston handle most of the attack.

True, however the difference there is is that Hindmarsh is a backrower and should be attacking the fringes where as the props in Bailey, Kite and White are the ones who should be hitting it up the middle. I thought Bailey played well in that regard but Kite and White were ineffectual. The bench probably lacked another prop.

Thurston was the player they needed to target defensively IMO.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
I've always found him to be a great club player, one of the worlds best backrowers - easily an elite player. But certainly overated a lot.
overated alot?
you sir are an idiot

dally m 2nd rower of the year for a number of years running, close to dally m player the last few years, proven summons medal winner last 2 years, yeah overated ey, good call

it all comes back to coaching, murray doesn't know how to coach him, look what hagan is doing with him, running him wide and we are seeing the best of hindmarsh

borat

Bench
TheBourbonBeast said:

Come and watch the dragons, we are doing great aren't we:roll:

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

All this talk of not being used properly - truly great players adapt. Every time Hindmarsh has a crap game, the fanboys are out in force saying it was the coach's fault for not using him properly. Has there ever been a player so protected for his bad performances? People need to face up to the facts that Hindmarsh is completely overrated and not a representative quality player.

borat

Bench
Everyone seems to think that hindmarsh iosn't playing well because he isn't getting enough minutes whereas IMO he isn't getting enough minutes because he isn't playing well

borat

Bench
hindmarsh4pm said:
overated alot?
you sir are an idiot

dally m 2nd rower of the year for a number of years running, close to dally m player the last few years, proven summons medal winner last 2 years, yeah overated ey, good call

it all comes back to coaching, murray doesn't know how to coach him, look what hagan is doing with him, running him wide and we are seeing the best of hindmarsh

No one denies, except Skepe, that Hindmarsh in his prime is one of the best. There was a time in origin were he was one of our more dangerous ball runners. Today he is a shadow of his former self.

DeeGan

Bench
For two years at Origin level Graham Murray used Nathan Hindmarsh incorrectly - his game suffered as did NSW. End of story.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
DeeGan said:
For two years at Origin level Graham Murray used Nathan Hindmarsh incorrectly - his game suffered as did NSW. End of story.
thankyou, finally some support? why does hindy dominate at club level? because he plays 80 minutes and is played wide

Grail

Juniors
I'm a huge Hindmarsh fan... I think that in the past couple seasons he was truly challenging for mantle of worlds best player. This year however, I'd have to agree that he isn't quite playing as well as he can, (at least at rep level). It won't surprise me if he gets dropped, but then Murray will get what he wants because it is obvious that he doesn't rate Hindy.

I think Hindmarsh's problem this year especially is that he has no venom in his runs. He just trundles up to the line and then falls over, taking an eternity to get up. In years past He'd trundle up to the line, but not fall over - he'd be pushing 4 guys off whilst still moving forward and then get the offload away.

Wafflng, but I believe that he might be dropped, I would prefer to think that he won't.

CrazyEel

Bench
Grail said:
I'm a huge Hindmarsh fan... I think that in the past couple seasons he was truly challenging for mantle of worlds best player. This year however, I'd have to agree that he isn't quite playing as well as he can, (at least at rep level). It won't surprise me if he gets dropped, but then Murray will get what he wants because it is obvious that he doesn't rate Hindy.

I think Hindmarsh's problem this year especially is that he has no venom in his runs. He just trundles up to the line and then falls over, taking an eternity to get up. In years past He'd trundle up to the line, but not fall over - he'd be pushing 4 guys off whilst still moving forward and then get the offload away.
Have to admit I totally agree with you there.

mickdo

Coach
Let's be honest here, NSW lost the game because our attack was pathetic. Hindmarsh is a tackling machine, not an attacker, and you need a few tackling machines in your side to take the brunt of the work. There are plenty of other players who should be under the microscope before him IMO.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
if hindmarsh gets dropped he will cop it on the chin, and so will i. I just think its unfair to give the worlds best 2nd rower crap and call for his dropping, it is obvious as you said grail that murray is not a fan of hindy. Hindmarsh this year for parra has been back to his attacking best scored 5 or 6 tries already in 8 or so games.
Hindmarsh is a great and will go down as one, if he gets dropped from nsw then thats life, we move on.