What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortal Johnny Raper - Immortal

qld redvee

Juniors
John Raper : champion and immortal and I was lucky enough to watch him play . A complete footballer
Condolences to the family
I hope st peter has enough beer at heavens pub to get through as theres a lot of old team mates up there to relive the glory days !!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP John thanks for the memories !!!!!!!!

He did that interview later in life where he was asked about the golden run and he said that he was personally relieved when it came to an end.

He cited the intense pressure that had gone on for years, it was well in his head.

That was so off script and so honest. I was genuinely impressed. I remember I was driving into the city at the time. A stand out moment.

And all the great men and commemorations and funerals and he’d be there and give the occasion a sense of dignity and also, it was good to see him, alive and about. We’ve still got Chook, some comfort there. That’s how I felt.

My list of immortals is not the same as the nrls, but he’s on it too.

It was announced at work and some people were swearing in disbelief and sadness about it jumping onto laptops and phones.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
The undisputed king of lock forwards and cover tackling.

As was the case so many times one Saturday dad & I were sitting on the seats in the outer ground behind the posts at the southern end of the SCG cheering on the mighty Saints.

Chook had made several tackles in a row at the other end of the field and after a break away run by the opposition winger Raper dived wrapped his arms around his legs to take him into the corner post and touch and saving a try in his classic style.

I asked dad how did he get there and dad said "he has tunnels underneath the ground son".

People talk about ball playing back rowers, locks in the modern game they wouldn't hold a candle to him he was such a complete player and certainly played well above his weight.

Sad that such mighty players of an era never to be seen again are being called to the showers on a far too regular basis hopefully the club comes up with suitable DVD of their mighty deeds to ensure their legacy is never lost.

Well played Chook you don't need the shoulder pads anymore just sit in the sheds and have a beer.

I'm too young to remember seeing him play, but like any other Saints fan who has an awareness of our history and what was achieved in the 1950's and 60's I mourn the passing of one of the greatest to don the red V.
A brilliant cover defender and ball-playing lock, his commitment and fitness regime put him miles apart from anyone else on the paddock.
Vale, Johnny Raper.

Gareth67

First Grade
I realize that I have said this in the past however I used to love his combinations with Billy Smith at half and Johnny King on the wing , when a scrum packed down close to the sideline .

Smith would feed and receive the ball from the scrum and run to the open side , at the same time would flick the ball to Raper ( who had broken from the scrum early ) the defense would go after Smith , whilst Raper ran to the blind side drawing the opposition’s winger , before finally passing the ball to an unmarked Johnny King who would scoot away and score , all too late for the opposing side who were still chasing little Billy .

But Raper was so lionhearted , he never gave in and by his example was able to urge his teammates on to greater heights.

A huge loss to Rugby League and the Dragons . A true privilege to have watched the man play in that Big Red V jersey that he cherished so much .

Last edited:

Yow

Juniors
Sad when you lose one of the best.
RIP Johnny.

I understand he was never sent off; remarkable considering the era he played through.
Great bloke having met John a few times One time at Twin Towns at a Qld redv function was having a beer with John and Billy Smith around the pool John ran out of light beer and said i will have to go to my room and get some more i told him dont worry ive got plenty here only problem it was New after 3 cans Caryl came up to me dont give him anymore lionel he will finish up as silly as Billy all in good fun 2 legends and beautiful wife RIP

The beauty about Chook was that greatness was bestowed upon him by the general fan.

Not by the media, not by officials, as they were preaching to the converted.

And none of this “ don’t you know who I am?” shite that is rife in the game. I never heard him sing his own praises. Did anyone else?

If he enjoyed the odd beer and no one got hurt, that’s fine by me.

State funeral should be offered, and he wouldn’t mind if the service referenced his colleagues and others we have lost in recent times.

I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to meet him. I’d talk footy with him.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The beauty about Chook was that greatness was bestowed upon him by the general fan.

Not by the media, not by officials, as they were preaching to the converted.

And none of this “ don’t you know who I am?” shite that is rife in the game. I never heard him sing his own praises. Did anyone else?

If he enjoyed the odd beer and no one got hurt, that’s fine by me.

State funeral should be offered, and he wouldn’t mind if the service referenced his colleagues and others we have lost in recent times.

I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to meet him. I’d talk footy with him.
One thing about Chook was that he bled for the Red V and was always there to support the club no matter how they were going in the comp. He always had a lot to say about the club and they were the right words.

I saw him play up at the Central Coast in 1970 when he represented Wests (Newcastle). He played his usual reliable game, jinking around and scored a try.

Him and Langlands were the larrikins and both loved their beer.

We have lost several great clubmen and they will never be forgotten.

One thing about Chook was that he bled for the Red V and was always there to support the club no matter how they were going in the comp. He always had a lot to say about the club and they were the right words.

I saw him play up at the Central Coast in 1970 when he represented Wests (Newcastle). He played his usual reliable game, jinking around and scored a try.

Him and Langland's were the larrikins and both loved their beer.

We have lost several great clubmen and they will never be forgotten.
He's been claimed by the whole game, like Tommy. A tidal wave of love, respect and an embracing of his personality, no matter what.

I don't want to offend any well meaning visitors, but how Johns was able to stumble up the stairs and sidle up next to Johnny Raper in the great pantheon of the Immortals beggars belief.

All these undeniable legends had a certain grace about them. Look at Artie Beetson for example.

I wont speak Ill of the passed, but I’m not wholly satisfied with Fultons entry either.

Just my view.

That you got to see Chook play in real life is a miracle.

Last edited:

Latest posts