What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Super Rugby's structure change on the NRL

Which team would you like to see gone?

• Western Force

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • ACT Brumbies

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Melbourne Rebels

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters

ReddFelon

Juniors
It's being reshaped from the current format of 4 divisions (5 Australian teams, 5 NZ teams, two SA divisions with Japan and Argentina thrown in) into three divisions of six, Japan joins Australia and Argentina joins NZ. In terms of who should go on the basis of financial damage it's Melbourne who cost the ARU $13 million in debt in the four years of existence. The Force managed to raise $11 million in a very short time by getting their members to sign on and buy shares in the team + the WA Road Safety Commission dropping a $1.5 million per year sponsorship that auto renews for a further three years as long as they advertise safe driving. The Brumbies sorted out their finances too by mending their broken bridge with University of Canberra. Melbourne's team draws the worst support per capita, has no homegrown product (same argument used to be applicable to the Force but now they're on about half local product) and are playing in Vic Methball territory.

Real talk though: if the ARU doesn't want the sport to completely die in the ass their admin need to realise that the best players aren't coming from the five or six boarding $40,000 a year boarding schools they send their kids to. Pretty much every decent player they've got in the sport these days comes from the country. They'd be better off dropping the international format and using the club comps in the states to fill the Super Rugby teams in an Origin style representative system. Living in Perth the majority of people who took a chance on the Force were put off by the lack of WA players despite having a multi-tiered club comp. But, the ARU is about as concerned with keeping their sport alive as Hitler was concerned for the well being of the Jews, so I don't expect much to change.

Canard

Immortal
Rugby League, and more specifically the NRL, have quite literally jumped the shark.

It's too random. Salary cap has killed the game.

Haha Random Union troll trying to fight on behalf of the Tsunami of turds that is Super Rugby

kdalymc

Bench
Don't care.
However, why the f**k were the named "Melbourne" when the other teams are after States...

gitano

Juniors
Haha Random Union troll trying to fight on behalf of the Tsunami of turds that is Super Rugby
I am a league man. Six seasons in the nsw cup would highlight that.
I'm not blinded because of that though.

Canard

Immortal
I am a league man. Six seasons in the nsw cup would highlight that.
I'm not blinded because of that though.

Why even raise your completely off topic point in this thread then?? You toff nosed arse shark?

gitano

Juniors
I just add perspective from time to time. I have experience and don't conform to the standard LU circle jerker mould.

Canard

Immortal
I just add perspective from time to time. I have experience and don't conform to the standard LU circle jerker mould.

So what's your view on the actual topic?

And what the f**k do you mean by "random"??

Adding Japan to the 5 Australian sides as a "conference" wont help the competition one bit, IMO.

Won't have the slightest impact on the NRL.

Disenfranchised Rugby fans won't switch to Rugby League.

We won't pick up the vast majority of the players who are left without a home because they aren't good enough for League and the players who are probably good enough will all find homes at another union franchise at the expense of lesser nuffies.

The sponsors will sponsor some other Rugby franchise.

Then the world will go on.

PaulyTom

Juniors
So what's your view on the actual topic?

And what the f**k do you mean by "random"??

Adding Japan to the 5 Australian sides as a "conference" wont help the competition one bit, IMO.
Maybe the Japs could beat the Australian franchises . That's a real problem .

Raiderdave

First Grade
Brumbies axing will help raiders dominate the ACT and potentially hold off AFLs surge into the ACT and NSW country

im not so sure
toffs are toffs ... the parents of the little lads at Boys Grammar , Marist & St Eddies will still have their Spencers , Eltons , & Barclays still playing Ruggah regardless if the brumbies survive or not

the leaguies who abandon the Raiders 20 years ago have all but come back anyway & We're miles ahead of anyone else down here.
we just need to keep winning & go on an win a title cementing our top spot.

mongoose

Coach
The best outcome for the NRL would be for the Force to get axed.
Most Raiders and Brumbies fans already cross over and the Rebels getting axed won't have any affect on the Storm.
You would hope the NRL would start getting very serious about a Perth team if it was to be the Force.

PaulyTom

Juniors
The best outcome for the NRL would be for the Force to get axed.
Most Raiders and Brumbies fans already cross over and the Rebels getting axed won't have any affect on the Storm.
You would hope the NRL would start getting very serious about a Perth team if it was to be the Force.

I'm with you

Saint Doc

Coach
If you were the NRL, would you try and buy the force name?

Pros: 12 years of brand development in WA, hopefully convert force fans and add league fans.

Cons: it's rugby union

Bazal

Post Whore
Unless the NZers really staunchly put their foot down they won't cut anyone just yet.

Cutting the Brumbies would be absolute madness. Hilarious, but madness. Canberra is the only place in Australia where you can say rugby is still doing well, even though the Brumbies and Tuggeranong are hurting the local competition. Cutting the Brumbies would kill the ARU.

Latest posts