What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Super Rugby's structure change on the NRL

Which team would you like to see gone?

• Western Force

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • ACT Brumbies

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Melbourne Rebels

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters

Marlins

Juniors
Crushers for mine was the most original name in the last 35 years of the game. Original and related to the state of QLD.

I actually would have preferred NQ used it.
I might of actually followd NQLD if they were branded the crushers

Marlins

Juniors
Force - Ditch the force and relocate the tigers to Perth 'Wests Tigers' has a ring to it escpially in saturated Sydney market.

The rebels - would make little difference overall but might actually give the storm a few more supporters.

Brumbies - it would be good for the raiders to have Canberra to themselves although I think fumbleBall would also jump on this in trying to get more juniors to there shithouse sport. It would also hurt Canberra in getting a new rectangular stadium if the brumbies got exiled.

kbw

Bench
The axing of the force would not be as beneficial as a log of people would think.
Most of their fans are ex pat South Africans and Islanders over there for the mining industry.
No a few of the islands might support RL as well but not many of the South Africans.

While I think Union is winning there is a race between them and the NRL in killing the game

PaulyTom

Juniors
Rumour on the street is Brumbies will get the axe from Canberra . With some form of amalgamation of the Brumbies and the rebels. Reformed to be the Melbourne Brumbies .

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Whatever happens (assuming something does), the NRL would be remiss not to make a big play for the affected fanbase. Eg, offer every member of a cut team 2 complimentary tickets to the closest NRL match as well as half price membership for the remainder of the season / first season after the axing of their team. Obviously this would depend on a team in Perth, but very achievable for Canberra or Melbourne.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Whatever happens (assuming something does), the NRL would be remiss not to make a big play for the affected fanbase. Eg, offer every member of a cut team 2 complimentary tickets to the closest NRL match as well as half price membership for the remainder of the season / first season after the axing of their team. Obviously this would depend on a team in Perth, but very achievable for Canberra or Melbourne.

Spot on there.

Canard

Immortal
The loss of the Brumbies will massively disenfranchise a traditional Union fan base.

The Rebels going would affect no one.

Therefore I hope it's the Brumbies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Rumour on the street is Brumbies will get the axe from Canberra . With some form of amalgamation of the Brumbies and the rebels. Reformed to be the Melbourne Brumbies .

Well if they hope to keep the Brumbies fans on board but keep a presence in Melbourne it won't work.
I'd imagine that 90% of the Canberra based Brumbies fans would just jump off the day it was announced, and the rest would be gone in under 10 years.

It might work if you split the games between the two cities, half the games in Canberra and half in Melbourne, but even then their'd be a massive drop off in support and a huge risk in just alienating both sets of fan bases.

They'd be better just ripping the band-aid off and killing them out right, cause there's a large chance that they'd just disenfranchise both sets of supporters bases by trying to merge them.

The loss of the Brumbies will massively disenfranchise a traditional Union fan base.

The Rebels going would affect no one.

Therefore I hope it's the Brumbies.

Yeah I doubt that, most Union fans in the ACT are heavily involved with their local ACT club as well as the Brumbies, so if the Brumbies go they'll just become solely Vikings, Uni Norths, Royals, Whites, etc, fans, and if the NRC team is forcibly changed from the Vikings to Kookaburras like is planned (or the Brumbies since the named would be up for grabs) then they'll jump on that.

Don't get me wrong they'll be a lot of pissed off RU people in the ACT if the Brumbies get dumped, they might even try a Rabbitohs esc crusade to force themselves back into the competition, but with the strong local competition and all the big private schools RU will be fine in the ACT, good luck getting them to cooperate with the ARU ever again though.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
Don't know if the cut team would be too keen on sharing a database of member info to a competitor sport.

Marlins

Juniors
I hope they cut 3 force, brumbies & rebels. With the new salary cap surly we could get the cream of the union crop from them teams or at least our former players back. This really is the time to bring in a Perth team.

Marlins

Juniors
If the rebels get cut maybe the Nrl can buy up the franchise and have a 2nd Melbourne team.

Canard

Immortal
If the rebels get cut maybe the Nrl can buy up the franchise and have a 2nd Melbourne team.

Why are people obsessed with League buying an property that is essentially worthless(the Force and the Rebels) and filling the NRL's coffers??

If you think that by "buying" the Rebels you buy the contracted players, think again, even if this was the case legally (which it isn't) most of the Union players are centrally contracted from what I understand.

Marlins

Juniors
Why are people obsessed with League buying an property that is essentially worthless(the Force and the Rebels) and filling the NRL's coffers??

If you think that by "buying" the Rebels you buy the contracted players, think again, even if this was the case legally (which it isn't) most of the Union players are centrally contracted from what I understand.
Not necessarily the players but the brand name and supporters a genuine rival for the storm would be awesome. It would definitely Catch some headlines.