What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"In breaking news, the Knights have signed talented outside back"

Jono078

Referee
... Shannon McDonnell.

f**king Hell NBN! I thought we'd sign someone massive when they said that.

McDonnell signed a 2 year contract. A bloody waste tbh, we have TOO many outside backs.

That money could have been better spent.

roopy

Referee
He's young and improving, so he might not be too bad, and we need a fullback to cover for Kidley.

keeney

First Grade
Our top 25 is realistically like 35 players. We could cut a lot of the superflouos depth IMO. Honestly, it hurt us in the props, but should never have in the 2nd row or the outside backs, why do we need so many of them. Cut two of each.

Nuffy

Bench
We are becoming bigger jokes by the day,

How many more average footballers do we need in a roster, I would have thought we had more than enough.

We are short a half, a quality centre and props, yet we've got more outside backs than anything.

What happened to culling the squad and seeking out some quality!

If McDonnell is the answer then we are in deeper sh*t than we thought.

TooheysNew

Coach
We are becoming bigger jokes by the day,

How many more average footballers do we need in a roster, I would have thought we had more than enough.

We are short a half, a quality centre and props, yet we've got more outside backs than anything.

What happened to culling the squad and seeking out some quality!

If McDonnell is the answer then we are in deeper sh*t than we thought.
Mr Positive.

Burwood

Bench
Is our prop depth really that much of an issue? I'd be fairly happy with our roster if we just signed a decent half to partner Mullen- it seems to be the piece of the puzzle that we are missing.

macavity

Referee
Is our prop depth really that much of an issue? I'd be fairly happy with our roster if we just signed a decent half to partner Mullen- it seems to be the piece of the puzzle that we are missing.

bingo.

this is where wicks' money went.

while jr burger has been far from awful for us - we certainly do have way too many outside backs - and a more than capable star in the making in Mata'utia, who now won't get a go.

sure, we have 3 halves - but two are inconsistent 6s and one is an invisible 7. if we could duct tape dodge and scotty together we would have the half we need.

we need to approach the managers of the top NYC 7s and see if they are interested in a firstgrade position. Henry (saints), Hunt (bronx), Johnson (Wuzzies) and Cherry-Evans (Manly) are all excellent prospects - something we don't have.

Sorry Scotty. If only you were 3in taller, 10kg heavier and a hell of a lot quicker (or even one of those things...) you have the footy brain - just not the body. Quick, get on the rack and raid doogs' stash...

Apey

Staff member
I saw this and was like FUUUUUUU-

I thought it might have been a shock signing :lol:

perverse

Referee
vuna, uate, doogs, mcdonnell, sau, mcmanus, mata'utia, lulia

8 outside backs... 7 of them in our top 25. thats ridiculous. surely this must be a pity signing?

i see improvement next year as long as our props dont drop like flies again. i don't see a premiership in our future without the missing halfback though. i think we can write mullens career off just about. our club seems intent on killing the bloke at halfback rather than letting him flourish at 5/8th. i'm not sure we'll be able to reverse the damage done with another year of this garbage.

the broncos reminded me a LOT of us this year in their match against the storm. no genuine half, no direction.

Serc

First Grade
I don't like the balance of our top 25 (or whatever it is) either but I'm gonna wait until well into next season before getting my rage on!

Btw well called Mr Mac ;-)

Yosh

Coach
Waow terrible waste of money... But whats done is done... He doesnt really offer any more than Lulia or Wes if you ask me so total waste of money... Then again is little Doogs finally gone now?

BG

Juniors
The point everyone is missing is that while McDonnell gives us an embarrassment of depth on the wing, he is the only who has proven himself a decent alternative to Gids at fullback. (Well, at least until Roops gets the coaching gig and moves Aku to fullback and Mullo into the centres ;-)). If we knew Mata'Utai could handle it, then yes this might be a wasted signing, but he has yet to make his NRL debut and perhaps at this stage the thinking is to let him vie for a centre/wing spot and not have the pressure of possibly having to fill in at the back when Gids isn't available.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He is simply cover for Gids, nothing more. Who else do we realisticly have to cover for our club captain at fullback?

Wes - no
Uate- hell no
Mata'utai - Not ready and is a better centre anyway

He wont get a wing spot in front of Jimmy or Cooper so unless he is on stupid money (+70K) then I think it is a very astute signing.

When Karawana and Wes made the bench over Patterson and Ndaira I had my suspicions.

With this signing.

I am almost certain that we have Michael Hagan incarnate back and once again the inmates are running the asylum.

Waow terrible waste of money... But whats done is done... He doesnt really offer any more than Lulia or Wes if you ask me so total waste of money... Then again is little Doogs finally gone now?
Lulia offers plenty. Solid defender. Has a reasonalble strike rate with tries as well. I have said it before and will again. Some people here are impatient but more importantly refuse to give credit where it is due. I am utterly convinced that if Isaac was totally fit, we could be in a grand final right now.

Latest posts