What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

horrie hastings

First Grade
MAD Magazine's leading film and TV caricaturist Mort Drucker has passed away at 91.

This man was a pop-culture giant satirising 100s of shows and films from the 60s to late 00s.

MAD Magazine was my bible as a kid. Mort will be sorely missed.

Yes same here, it was like a bible to me back in the 70s and the 80s too, wish i would have kept a lot of my copies, their movie satires were brilliant and the artistry was spot on . Loved the fold in back covers too.

I'm lucky I kept all mine. Then I managed to get mint US edition 1984-1992 (my era) about ten years ago at $5 a copy. They're now up at $25-30 some of them.

MAD was a welcome diversion. Always skewered culture and politics with a sense of wit and irreverence. Some of their predictions for the future were spot on too.

Funny...my kids were flicking through some issues the other day, devouring the Star Wars spoofs and laughing out loud. I thought it was cool.

Mort was one of the few left from the old school. Only Angelo Torres, Al Jaffee, Sergio Aragones and Paul Coker remain from the hey day of the Usual Gang of Idiots.

My "humour" stems from MAD and Blazing Saddles. My wife and I often refer to TV or movies by their satirised names with each other. Tonight, I revisit some old satires and raise a glass to one of comics greatest artists.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I still have a copy from 1976 which had both Jaws and Earthquake in it , the art work and satire while still sticking true to the movies were amazing, still have copies of ones with Airport 75 and The Towering Inferno in it ( you can work out what era I grew up in lol) . I remember finding an old copy of one which had a parody called Hack Hack Sweet Has Been , it was the send up of Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, a movie I had never seen before but was fascinated in seeing it after reading the parody and I can say i list that movie in my all time favourites now.

I still have a copy from 1976 which had both Jaws and Earthquake in it , the art work and satire while still sticking true to the movies were amazing, still have copies of ones with Airport 75 and The Towering Inferno in it ( you can work out what era I grew up in lol) . I remember finding an old copy of one which had a parody called Hack Hack Sweet Has Been , it was the send up of Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, a movie I had never seen before but was fascinated in seeing it after reading the parody and I can say i list that movie in my all time favourites now.

Ha! This issue lives beside my bed. Read that satire a 100 times...never seen the film. I'll have to now.

20200412_083513.jpg 20200412_083641.jpg

Matua

Bench
Remember Cracked Magazine? Nowhere as good as Mad, but gave it a run. It now has a humorous website.
I started watching the Cracked Youtube channel a couple of years back ... and then it folded about a month after. There's a Cracked podcast that is quite decent.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ha! This issue lives beside my bed. Read that satire a 100 times...never seen the film. I'll have to now.

View attachment 37517 View attachment 37518

Ha Ha , thank you :D. Managed to find the whole thing on line, what a great send up of the cycle that was called Grand-Guignol or even better known as hag horror, i had forgotten about the Annette Funicello twist at the end lol. Mort Drucker's art work is brilliant, captures Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland, Joan Crawford, Barabara Stanwyck and Joseph Cotten perfectly .

As for the hag horror cycle, a lot of the older Hollywood star ended up doing these type of movies, some were good, some were terrible but still lots of fun, probably the best two of the genre were What Ever Happened To Baby Jane and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte.

The back story to Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte is almost as interesting as the movie, after the success of Baby Jane which starred Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, the director wanted to pair the two woman up again in another similar vehicle. Both signed on again but tension between Bette and Joan surfaced and boiled over while shooting the movie and Joan ended up signing herself into hospital to get away, Joan had already shot half the movie but claimed she was to ill to return so was replaced with Olivia De Havilland and most of the movie had to be re shot again.

mackdadday

Juniors
I shed a few tears for Brian last night. I started a game of D and D last week as Brian Dennehey. The greatest man who ever lived!!!

RIP Florian Schneider.

Member of pioneering Krautrock band Kraftwerk, he was so influential in popularising electronic music, as well as innovating in the areas of drum machines & synthesisers, art performance and production techniques, that most bands post-1980 are indebted to Florian and his bandmate Ralf Hütter.

Florian spent near on 40 years with Kraftwerk before leaving the band in 2008, with an enviable legacy.

He sadly passed away after his 73rd birthday after a battle with cancer.

Personally, Kraftwerk's ambience, aural palette and futuristic sounds continue to inspire me as I use their works to soundtrack my own writing. Today, in honour of Florian, I'll be cranking up Autobahn, Trans-Europa Express and Die Mensch-Maschine.

This is my favourite song of Kraftwerk's too...

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.25.04 am.png

Latest posts