What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Danish

Referee
Chadwick Boseman dies of colon cancer at 43 today.

What the actual?

I thought his performance as James Brown was fantastic.

seems we just read the same thing...

pretty shocking. Apparently he’d been battling cancer in secret for 4 years? So he was sick when filming End Game. Insane

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
seems we just read the same thing...

pretty shocking. Apparently he’d been battling cancer in secret for 4 years? So he was sick when filming End Game. Insane
Yeah I was shocked when I heard and even more shocked when I heard “after a long battle with cancer”. He was sick pretty much right through the filming of his MCU films.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Dame Diana Rigg has passed away from cancer aged 82.

Best known for her role as Emma Peel in The Avengers, she also starred in On Her Majesty' Secret Service and more recently Game Of Thrones.

RIP Diana.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Was just reading an article on Max Merrit and i didnt realise that Peter Starkie one of the founding members of Skyhooks past away about 2 weeks ago after falling off a ladder.

nöyd

Staff member
Singer Max Merrit has passed away aged 79.
RIP Max

Got a quick story that features that song, it will forever be embedded in my mind.

I was living and working with my eldest brother in Cardiff, which for the uneducated is a suburb of Newcastle. We used to catch the train to work and back, one afternoon after work we decided to drop into the Wickham Hotel for a few beers. This was the early 90's so way before old school pubs were cleaned up and made into the family friendly taverns most of them are now.

My brother and I are sitting there talking about anything and everything, most likely footy and/or cricket, maybe throwing some bets on, all of a sudden and without any warning, one of the old barflies sitting at the bar lets fly with a "BABY I BEEN WATCHING YOU...WATCHING EVERYTHING YOU DO..." brother and I are looking at each other like dude wtf, didn't take long before the whole bar was singing the whole song along with old mate. Seriously gives me chills now thinking about it, it was like being in a flash mob before they were a thing. Random strangers uniting over a song, it was like nothing I'd ever experienced before, or possibly since.

RIP Max and thanks to old mate for that great memory from my early adulthood. Sad to say that if someone started singing out loud nowadays in that type of environment, he'd probably be shot, stabbed, or videoed and subsequently bullied on social media.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Got a quick story that features that song, it will forever be embedded in my mind.

I was living and working with my eldest brother in Cardiff, which for the uneducated is a suburb of Newcastle. We used to catch the train to work and back, one afternoon after work we decided to drop into the Wickham Hotel for a few beers. This was the early 90's so way before old school pubs were cleaned up and made into the family friendly taverns most of them are now.

My brother and I are sitting there talking about anything and everything, most likely footy and/or cricket, maybe throwing some bets on, all of a sudden and without any warning, one of the old barflies sitting at the bar lets fly with a "BABY I BEEN WATCHING YOU...WATCHING EVERYTHING YOU DO..." brother and I are looking at each other like dude wtf, didn't take long before the whole bar was singing the whole song along with old mate. Seriously gives me chills now thinking about it, it was like being in a flash mob before they were a thing. Random strangers uniting over a song, it was like nothing I'd ever experienced before, or possibly since.

RIP Max and thanks to old mate for that great memory from my early adulthood. Sad to say that if someone started singing out loud nowadays in that type of environment, he'd probably be shot, stabbed, or videoed and subsequently bullied on social media.

That is a great story.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm glad i got the chance to see her perform, i got half price tickets to see her at the Enmore theatre in 2014, see was a bit dottery and unsteady on stage but there was no denying her voice which was still in great form.

Just adding a clip from Airport 75 when she sings to Linda Blair, she performed this song at the Enmore.