What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

horrie hastings

First Grade
All the good uns are dying.

Were going to be left with soulless crap.

I took my IPOD into work today and had it on shuffle hoping Max, Mac and Helen would come up but no such luck , it played a lot of ABBA today, none of the big hits, just the non single album songs and a bit of ELO and Jeff Lynne, again mainly non single album tracks.

nöyd

Staff member
Typing this through misty eyes, this one feels almost like a family member.

As the youngest of 5 kids, 2 older brothers and 2 older sisters, growing up in the 70's and 80's I was always going to be influenced by what my siblings listened to. My sisters love of ABBA didn't fully transfer over to me, but the music my brothers were into certainly did.

My brother (6 years older than me) passed on to me his love of The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Van Morrison, but I took my greatest musical queues from my eldest brother, who instilled in me the power of Status Quo, The Sweet, The Angels, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Dragon, and KISS, among many others.

But one album stood out above all else. I was 10 years old, and this album I remember courted some controversy because of the picture on the front cover.

Van_Halen_-_1984.jpg

But every story has a twist. I never actually owned a single album featuring David Lee Roth, but still own every single one released by Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Music is all about tastes, and I just preferred Hagar, I think I was at the right age, if I was 10 years older I am sure it would be different.

Then in the early 2000's I took an interest in the guitar itself. Not playing (although that was always and still is an unfulfilled wish), but building them, painting them, stripping them and repainting them, then re-selling them, much to Eddie's chagrin, he copyrighted everything. I stripped and repainted an old Kramer Pacer I found on eBay, ordered a Floyd Rose Original from the US, the correct tuners, literally spared no expense in trying to somewhat recreate Ed's 5150 guitar. I used to be a member of some EVH guitar forums back in the day, and ended up selling the guitar for around $3000 to a guy in California.

I still have an EVH mash-up guitar to this day, based upon his MusicMan line from the late 90's, can post a pic if anyone wants to see. Still can't play it, don't even have anything to plug it in to, but it's mine. I even have the red, white and black striped Frankenstein high top shoes. I'm actually sitting here now in a Van Halen t-shirt, just coincidental that was what I put on when I got out of bed this morning, and hadn't heard the news.

I hope my neighbours are ready.

RIP Ed.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Even if you weren’t a Van Halen fan, if you like ANYTHING released from the early 80s on with flashy lead playing you owe a debt of thanks to EVH. He simply transformed the way lead guitar was played. He was the Hendrix of his generation, I’d say Eruption was as transformational moment in guitar playing as Hendrix’s Star Spangled Banner solo at Woodstock.

to_ddeath

Coach
Was never a huge fan of VH but always appreciated them, as I grew up hearing their biggest 80s hits on the radio regularly. So they represent some of my favourite ever moments & years in a way.
But always had huge respect for Eddie, & he seemed like such a top dude despite appearing so much larger than life.
As the kids would say now, as a guitarist, definitely in that elite ‘GOAT’ category.

Rock In Peace EVH

T.