What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

horrie hastings

First Grade
It’s heartbreaking when it happens. My nan had a slow decline from 1995 to 2002. It was like rewinding a tape as she slowly forgot but lived 40-50 year ago moments as if they were today. She had a turn in 2002 and was revived. Spent the next 8 years in a home like a husk. You feel guilty thinking if she’d passed in 2002 she’d have still been dotty old nan. Instead, we got 8 years of hospilisation and my pop sitting by her side withering in the vine. Dementia and old age is a shit of a thing. At least pop got another 7 years and I cherish those times as he got weary but still loved his cricket and footy and whilst he couldn’t get about as much, his memories were crystal clear. He got dotty too, at the end, but at 97, it’s par for the course. I miss them both sooooo much. My kids were babies but they’d love him now and all his sports stories.

That is sad. Both my mothers parents had passed away before i was born so i never got to know either of them. My fathers father was alive but he had remarried so i only remember my Grandfather on my fathers side and his wife my step grand mother. My memory is a bit muddy but i remember some one we used to call nanna staying at one of my aunties place when i was really young but not sure whether it was my fathers mother or not , i was only about 3 at the time maybe 4, i will have to check with my sister. Basically my grandfather was a hard man and i remember my father didn't want to have much to do with him in my younger days but we saw more of him later on, my step grand mother was a lovely woman and to me she was my grand mother, really had little time for my grand father though. I'm so glad you got to have quality time and a relationship with your nan and pop.

Generalzod

Immortal
That is sad. Both my mothers parents had passed away before i was born so i never got to know either of them. My fathers father was alive but he had remarried so i only remember my Grandfather on my fathers side and his wife my step grand mother. My memory is a bit muddy but i remember some one we used to call nanna staying at one of my aunties place when i was really young but not sure whether it was my fathers mother or not , i was only about 3 at the time maybe 4, i will have to check with my sister. Basically my grandfather was a hard man and i remember my father didn't want to have much to do with him in my younger days but we saw more of him later on, my step grand mother was a lovely woman and to me she was my grand mother, really had little time for my grand father though. I'm so glad you got to have quality time and a relationship with your nan and pop.
I wish I had some kind of relation ship with my grand parents but the memorised have of them I will treasure, simple people who had very little, I was only 7 went I to visit them over seas my father parents were farmers olive farmers from Kalamata, as for my mothers parents only my nana lived by grand father as I was told later died ilduring the war fighting the the nazis..Funny enough my Nana never remarried, she come to Australia in the 80s she always appeared in widowed clothing mostly black and I remember people used to make fun of her because of it, anyway the lady had pride, I would never want to endure what both my grand parents went through..eventually my nana went home…

Wow Horrie, both our mothers were cut from the same mold. Mine had a massive passion for tennis as well, so much so that I share my Christian name with a famous Aussie tennis player from the 1950s. She played into her late 60s and my dad played Ken Rosewall as a teenager.

Coincidentally, both my Mum's parents passed away before I was born.

We are entering the Twilight Zone....

Last edited:
I wish I had some kind of relation ship with my grand parents but the memorised have of them I will treasure, simple people who had very little, I was only 7 went I to visit them over seas my father parents were farmers olive farmers from Kalamata, as for my mothers parents only my nana lived by grand father as I was told later died ilduring the war fighting the the nazis..Funny enough my Nana never remarried, she come to Australia in the 80s she always appeared in widowed clothing mostly black and I remember people used to make fun of her because of it, anyway the lady had pride, I would never want to endure what both my grand parents went through..eventually my nana went home…
I'd kill for a jar of Kalamata olives right now. Even though I can trace my Anglo Saxon past back to 1824, I have French roots (I hate the French with a passion). My surname is the same as a town in northern France.

I love most things European. An affinity to anything Spanish, Italian, German, Hungarian and Scandinavian.

Geez I babble on.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Wow Horrie, both our mothers were cut from the same mold. Mine had a massive passion for tennis as well, so much so that I share my Christian name with a famous Aussie tennis player from the 1950s. She played into her late 60s and my dad played Ken Rosewall as a teenager.

Coincidentally, both my Mum's parents passed away before I was born.

We are entering the Twilight Zone....

My mum used to tell me i got to see Rod Laver play as she was very pregnant with me when she watched him play at White City one time.
My mum loved her tennis, she would have her tennis group on the Wednesdays and always be there. I played her quite a few times in my teens to late teens at the tennis courts in Kingsford and i could never beat her, i would try all sorts of trick shots and drop shots but she would be wise to them and have all the answers, i did take the odd set of her but couldn't win any best of three sets matches.
My dad also played tennis a lot, i remember from Paddington my father would play in a big group and he and me used to get the bus over to the courts in Kingsford and he would play doubles against all these other guys, i would have only been around 5 or 6 then, i used to sit in the little courtside rooms and play fish with some of the players when they weren't competing in the tennis games, one of them i always liked and he loved playing fish, a Greek man who was a good friend of the family, his mother was a great cook and she got me interested in many Greek delights food wise after we moved to Kingsford where we would visit them.

One of the giants of 1980s global and Cold War politics, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has passed away at the age of 91.

He was the last of the major players of the 80s (Reagan, Thatcher… Hawke) to pass away.

26D9A609-20FF-4D91-A01B-5F15B88D1647.jpeg

My own parents are 70 and 69. They have never had another monarch. So much will change - our currency, stamps, pictures on walls, etc.
Going from Her Majesty and ‘God Save The Queen’ and His Majesty and ‘God Save The King’ … sounds weird.

Latest posts