What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

horrie hastings

First Grade
I like Xanadu as well because of ELO....
I remember the album was released before the movie, i remember walking into a record shop and seeing the album there with Olivia Newton John and Electric Light Orchestra on it and i bought it straight away, just loved the whole album. ELO was and still is my favourite group of all time and Olivia is in my top 3 favourite artist/ groups so the album was a must have.

Mate I hate Grease shittest movie ever...

In the early 1990s I managed a bunch of actors with intellectual disabilities.

Our first production was.....

..... you guessed it. None other than an adaptation of f**king Grease!

At least our later productions were more my taste. Marx Brothers "A Day At The Races" and "Oklahoma!" to name a few.

Generalzod

Immortal
I remember the album was released before the movie, i remember walking into a record shop and seeing the album there with Olivia Newton John and Electric Light Orchestra on it and i bought it straight away, just loved the whole album. ELO was and still is my favourite group of all time and Olivia is in my top 3 favourite artist/ groups so the album was a must have.
I remember as a kid living in Mascot it was summer time, dad drove as to Maroubra beach, I remember when living thing come on the radio from there on the song reminded me of Summer time. It's always a tradition with me now when going to the best beach in Sydney (South Cronulla) I play the song.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Best beach in Sydney by a country mile. You can stick a hundred Bondis up your sentimental orifice.

I have fond memories of Bondi Beach from going there in the late 60s when I was growing up in Paddington, we would catch the bus there, sometimes visit friends who had a house on Beach rd, especially remember sitting on the grass there and my mother would buy me and my sister chips and we would feed the seagulls, sometimes my father would take us there in the evening for dinner at the Gelato Bar, great schitzels back then then lemon crepes or pan cakes for desert. Bondi Beach these days resembles nothing of my youth, it is just a soulless rabble of nothing, rarely ever go any where near it these days.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember as a kid living in Mascot it was summer time, dad drove as to Maroubra beach, I remember when living thing come on the radio from there on the song reminded me of Summer time. It's always a tradition with me now when going to the best beach in Sydney (South Cronulla) I play the song.

I love how certain songs trigger or remind us of certain things that happened in our life and they are usually good memories like yours was of going to the beach.

Living Thing is not only my favourite ELO song, it is my favourite song of all time.

I have fond memories of Bondi Beach from going there in the late 60s when I was growing up in Paddington, we would catch the bus there, sometimes visit friends who had a house on Beach rd, especially remember sitting on the grass there and my mother would buy me and my sister chips and we would feed the seagulls, sometimes my father would take us there in the evening for dinner at the Gelato Bar, great schitzels back then then lemon crepes or pan cakes for desert. Bondi Beach these days resembles nothing of my youth, it is just a soulless rabble of nothing, rarely ever go any where near it these days.
I lived in Hastings Parade at Bondi Beach from zero to four years of age. Mum used to take me on long walks to Bronte before I went to school.

I love you Mum. You would have been 101 years old on 16 July this year. Now I'm bawling my eyes out.

f**k!

I love how certain songs trigger or remind us of certain things that happened in our life and they are usually good memories like yours was of going to the beach.

Living Thing is not only my favourite ELO song, it is my favourite song of all time.
The song I have requested for my funeral is Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life".

The story of my life along with Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch" and Trent Reznor's "Hurt".

horrie hastings

First Grade
I lived in Hastings Parade at Bondi Beach from zero to four years of age. Mum used to take me on long walks to Bronte before I went to school.

I love you Mum. You would have been 101 years old on 16 July this year. Now I'm bawling my eyes out.

f**k!

Sorry I triggered that for you Lounge Lizard. My mum has just gone into a nursing home for full time care, i was sitting watching her asleep a couple of weeks ago and remembered one day at Bondi Beach when she unwrapped the chips on the grass and me and my sister ate some but would throw some to the seagulls, not sure why this memory is so clear in mind but i remember it like it was yesterday and often think about even before the other day. I must have only been about 5 at the time.

Sorry I triggered that for you Lounge Lizard. My mum has just gone into a nursing home for full time care, i was sitting watching her asleep a couple of weeks ago and remembered one day at Bondi Beach when she unwrapped the chips on the grass and me and my sister ate some but would throw some to the seagulls, not sure why this memory is so clear in mind but i remember it like it was yesterday and often think about even before the other day. I must have only been about 5 at the time.
It's all cool my friend. I do have chinks in my hard arsed heartless exterior.

You and Generalzod are my favourite LU forumers. We are on the same wavelength.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The song I have requested for my funeral is Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life".

The story of my life along with Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch" and Trent Reznor's "Hurt".

The better halfs funeral song request is the Royal Philamonic Orchestra' s version of Dancing Queen, mine would have to have Xanadu in it somewhere.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Funny enough ABBA was my mum's favourite english speaking band, considering she spoke very little English. God rest her soul, my mum was only 73yrs old when she passed away , 10 years ago. I still miss her....

Even though my mother is still alive she is really gone, she is just a shell now, even up till about 3 months ago she could remember all her children and their partners but would fade in and out of the real world but then have some really lucid moments then fade back into somewhere else. She had sepsis about two months ago and we were all called into Prince Of Wales hospital to say our good byes but the stubborn bugger beat it but now was at the stage where she couldn't live at home anymore with my brother and just some outside help coming in, she now needs 24 hr care, it may have been a blessing had she passed away in hospital as she could linger in the state she is in for a long while although the doctors said she was stubborn enough to fight the sepsis off it is really only a matter of time till she goes, i just hope she passes away peacefully in her sleep and not in pain.

I miss the vibrant woman she was, she was always going out, playing tennis and being active until my father retired and all he wanted to was sit in a chair and do nothing and like the loyal wife she was she stuck by his side and her active life more or less stopped there.

Like the beach, i have other fond memories of when we were living at Paddington and my mother used to play tennis down at the quarry down near the Edgecliffe end of Paddington, we would walk there, she would get egg sandwiches from a deli in Oxford St to have for lunch there and also picking up loose frangipani flowers on the way there or on the way back. I still remember those egg sandwiches from the deli wrapped in the white paper, i still love egg sandwiches but somehow they don't taste as good as the memory from back then.

Even though you are still alive, i miss you mum.

It’s heartbreaking when it happens. My nan had a slow decline from 1995 to 2002. It was like rewinding a tape as she slowly forgot but lived 40-50 year ago moments as if they were today. She had a turn in 2002 and was revived. Spent the next 8 years in a home like a husk. You feel guilty thinking if she’d passed in 2002 she’d have still been dotty old nan. Instead, we got 8 years of hospilisation and my pop sitting by her side withering in the vine. Dementia and old age is a shit of a thing. At least pop got another 7 years and I cherish those times as he got weary but still loved his cricket and footy and whilst he couldn’t get about as much, his memories were crystal clear. He got dotty too, at the end, but at 97, it’s par for the course. I miss them both sooooo much. My kids were babies but they’d love him now and all his sports stories.

Generalzod

Immortal
Even though my mother is still alive she is really gone, she is just a shell now, even up till about 3 months ago she could remember all her children and their partners but would fade in and out of the real world but then have some really lucid moments then fade back into somewhere else. She had sepsis about two months ago and we were all called into Prince Of Wales hospital to say our good byes but the stubborn bugger beat it but now was at the stage where she couldn't live at home anymore with my brother and just some outside help coming in, she now needs 24 hr care, it may have been a blessing had she passed away in hospital as she could linger in the state she is in for a long while although the doctors said she was stubborn enough to fight the sepsis off it is really only a matter of time till she goes, i just hope she passes away peacefully in her sleep and not in pain.

I miss the vibrant woman she was, she was always going out, playing tennis and being active until my father retired and all he wanted to was sit in a chair and do nothing and like the loyal wife she was she stuck by his side and her active life more or less stopped there.

Like the beach, i have other fond memories of when we were living at Paddington and my mother used to play tennis down at the quarry down near the Edgecliffe end of Paddington, we would walk there, she would get egg sandwiches from a deli in Oxford St to have for lunch there and also picking up loose frangipani flowers on the way there or on the way back. I still remember those egg sandwiches from the deli wrapped in the white paper, i still love egg sandwiches but somehow they don't taste as good as the memory from back then.

My father said to me years ago even though you are getting married remember you’re mother she’s the only one you’ve got…

I love your Mum with not even knowing her.

Alzheimer's is an arsehole of a disease. My Dad suffered over 10 years with it before losing almost half his bodyweight when he forgot that eating is essential to human existence.

Poor bugger would have been 98 today. Love you, you crazy bugger.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I love your Mum with not even knowing her.

Alzheimer's is an arsehole of a disease. My Dad suffered over 10 years with it before losing almost half his bodyweight when he forgot that eating is essential to human existence.

Poor bugger would have been 98 today. Love you, you crazy bugger.
Thanks mate. I just wish she had some quality of life, i saw her go from a healthy , vibrant women on the go enjoying her tennis and times out until my father retired and basically did not want to move out of the lounge room chair and she stayed by fathers side during that time losing quality time of being able to do the things she loved while was still fit and healthy enough to do things, now she is just a shell. My father is still alive and all though his health isn't great he is still able to live at home with the help of my brother and a little bit of out side help, his mind is still intact. The night we went to my mothers hospital bed my father tried to make it all about him and i told him to shut up as he was taking away possibly the last time we might spending time with our mother, all my siblings told him off that night for being a selfish pr*ck. He didn't seem that concerned about the state my mother, he was more concerned that nobody was listening to him about his ailments.

Latest posts