What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the end it's the NRL who have cheated the Storm!

Crusher

Coach
Any genuine rugby league fan should feel sympathy for the Storm. When I say the Storm I am referring to the players and officials that have been responsible for developing this team into the best in the league over the last few seasons.

The conversations in the media, forums and around the water cooler in the past week have focused on the fact that the storm are cheats. Let’s make one thing clear. The cheats are the small number of individuals who went to extraordinary lengths to rort the system. Assuming the players and staff knew nothing then we should not and cannot tarnish them with the same brush.

The fact is that the Melbourne Storm have developed and nurtured young talent better than any other club in the last 10 years. You only have to look at Folau, Inglis, Smith and so on to see a group of players who left the comfort of home to start their careers as teenagers in a foreign land dominated by AFL. You then need to look at how successful they have become as a result of how well the Storm is run.

As a Manly fan I should have every right to say that we were ripped off in 2007. Parramatta fans probably feel the same.

As a fan of the game however I believe that the deficiencies in the game have rorted the Melbourne Storm.

The problem is that the words salary cap and loyalty will never fit in the same sentence. How can any club ever hope to find, nurture and grow talent under the current salary cap arrangements when they are forced to let them go as soon as they become stars? What culture does this breed?

I believe the events of the past week have been a blessing in disguise. Harsh yes, but they have highlighted the major deficiencies of the salary cap.

The game will only survive if young talent continues to be discovered. We all talk about how important loyalty is but unfortunately these days all but a few players are… through no fault of their own. The cap forbids it.

We’ve heard a million solutions to the problem but one such solution that is crystal clear is that major concessions to the cap need to be made to encourage loyalty and that requires the NRL to put their money where their mouth is. I believe if a club has developed a player from a young age then they should be given every concession to keep them. THe NRL generates over $100m every year from the game so surely there is room do do so.

Let’s save our anger for a few wrong doing individuals but let’s praise the Storm for how well they have demonstrated player development. I may 'hate' the Storm when they play Manly but I can only admire them for what they have shown can be done for the game.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
moth-to-solar-flame.jpg

gronkathon

First Grade
Well I now have had my Wednesday laugh at someone who almost a week later still can't grasp what actually occured.

Good times

Crusher

Coach
I just wish the club would man up & take responsibility.

That's without question but when we say 'club' who do we mean?

Is it the players, the coaching staff, the trainers, the meds....or is it the handful of individuals who did this.

gronkathon

First Grade
That's without question but when we say 'club' who do we mean?

Is it the players, the coaching staff, the trainers, the meds....or is it the handful of individuals who did this.

Like it or not the entire organisation is guilty.

The fans are the patrons and are guilty of nothing

Jose93

Juniors
When people say the club, Crusher, they really mean News Limited. You know, the company who seemingly chucked money at the club and told Wally Waldron to get on with it without knowing what was going on.

Well who else can they mean?

Crusher

Coach
I think some of you get the wrong idea.

The rort is one thing and thats clearly something that needed to be punished. I'm on record as stating that I deplored these actions.

I'm simply refeing to the fact that Melbourne Storm, s(alary cap issue aside) have best demostrated how to develop a young team.

These are two quite differemt things.

gronkathon

First Grade
The coaching model is something to be applauded but right now even that is tainted by association in this regard. Would the development of the team been the same if they had to let certain players go or not recruit certain players?

Crusher

Coach
Like it or not the entire organisation is guilty.

The fans are the patrons and are guilty of nothing

No one disputes that the 'club' needs to take it on the chin and move on. And until it gets proven otherwise - other than the few individuals we know about, the players, coaching staff, trainers, meds, as well as other board members are also guilty of nothing.

Crusher

Coach
The coaching model is something to be applauded but right now even that is tainted by association in this regard. Would the development of the team been the same if they had to let certain players go or not recruit certain players?

Again this is a valid argument...but can you see how the flaws in the current cap arrangements have made long term development almost impossible.

There's no easy answer I know but we do need one for the sake of the game. Ask youself how you would feel if your team developed key players from their teenage years, stuck by the rules and had to let them go.

To me this doesn't make sense.

Remember...These players were not stars before they played with Melbourne.

PS: fopr those of you who choose to use insults, it helps no-one.

hunters

Juniors
have best demostrated how to develop a young team.
The problem here is that they only best demonstrated it against other teams that also developed young players but let them go in order to obey the rules of the game. I'm sure there are a couple of other teams who, if they operated in the same way as Melbourne has, would look equally as impressive.

However, I agree with your general comment that we should be careful who within the Storm we blame. Any notion that the NRL (as suggested in the thread topic) is absurd.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crusher is right. I have always thought that if the cap is to stay at it's current level, then the number of players in that cap should be dropped to 20

a second tier cap should include an extra 10 players.

It would be enough to guarantee marquee players stay in the NRL, and will also help with development.

Also, clubs should only have to fork out say half price for all juniors who come through their ranks, or some other such scheme, to ensure clubs are rewarded for the development work they've put in.

Noa

First Grade
See, Madunit has intelligence.

He realises the debate has moved on from what you other flogs keep going on about.

Crusher

Coach
The problem here is that they only best demonstrated it against other teams that also developed young players but let them go in order to obey the rules of the game. I'm sure there are a couple of other teams who, if they operated in the same way as Melbourne has, would look equally as impressive.

However, I agree with your general comment that we should be careful who within the Storm we blame. Any notion that the NRL (as suggested in the thread topic) is absurd.

hunters I also agree with all your comments but my point in relation to the NRL is that everyone has known for many years the cap system is flawed. Like many argue that Melbourne should own up I argue that the NRL should also own up to knowing the events of the past week would happen at one point or another because their system is flawed and begging abuse.

How many more breaches do we need to prove this is the case. We need to ask ourselves is it over...or just the beginning?

Last edited:

ozenzud

Juniors
Cheating has many forms. I was annoyed at the storms tactics of holding down the players in the tackle against the Warriors and the refs complete ignoring of it. Michael Luck was spot on when he accussed the ref of feeling sorry for them.

The storm (bellamy) invented the gapple and the chicken wing. Lets face it, they are innovative.

Putting your knee next to the ball when at marker in the play the ball is a subtle form of cheating. Stripping the same. Standing up offside.

Then there's steriods.

The salary cap rort is against the rules of the NRL is cheating. A strip might not be as bad as a salary cap rort, but a strip that wins a turnover that leads to a try, that wins a game, that games a semi or even a grand final.....

Effectively, its all up to the Ref. We have a good ref, then theres less likely to be benefits from cheating. Hows the ref doing at the moment?

Crusher

Coach
Crusher is right. I have always thought that if the cap is to stay at it's current level, then the number of players in that cap should be dropped to 20

a second tier cap should include an extra 10 players.

It would be enough to guarantee marquee players stay in the NRL, and will also help with development.

Also, clubs should only have to fork out say half price for all juniors who come through their ranks, or some other such scheme, to ensure clubs are rewarded for the development work they've put in.

Unit...an extremely unlikely ally :)

But I see that you can see past the emotion and also realise that the cap is flawed. I just wish others would save their abuse and be as constructive as you.

Latest posts