What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In what direction is the universe expanding?

Nuke

Staff member
One of the rare benefits of living in WA is that I'll get to witness the solar eclipse on Thursday morning. From here in Perth, I believe it'll be about 75% or so, but from Exmouth, it'll be a total eclipse (insert Bonnie Tyler now..!).

I recall experiencing a partial eclipse in about 2003, and it was a weird experience. It wasn't dark, but the sunlight outside just wasn't normal.
I hope to witness an even weirder experience this coming Thursday!

One of the rare benefits of living in WA is that I'll get to witness the solar eclipse on Thursday morning. From here in Perth, I believe it'll be about 75% or so, but from Exmouth, it'll be a total eclipse (insert Bonnie Tyler now..!).

I recall experiencing a partial eclipse in about 2003, and it was a weird experience. It wasn't dark, but the sunlight outside just wasn't normal.
I hope to witness an even weirder experience this coming Thursday!

Camera at the ready, but you’re not supposed to look at them.

That would be great for us if you can.

Nuke

Staff member
Camera at the ready, but you’re not supposed to look at them.

That would be great for us if you can.
I'll do my best!
I'll be at work, which is in aged care and we have a COVID outbreak at the moment, so my opportunities will be limited, but I'll definitely be popping outside a few times from when it starts, through totality, to the end.

I don't have any fancy equipment either, so I'll see what I can do!

Nuke

Staff member
Solar eclipse update:
So, in a spur-of-the-moment kinda thing, late Tuesday night, my wife and I decided we'd drive up the WA coast to try experiencing the total solar eclipse as best we could before returning back ready for work today. She had an RDO for yesterday, and I walked into work Wednesday morning and said "I won't be in tomorrow". A few discussions were had, and we decided that Exmouth and it's 13.5hr drive was just that bit too far away, so we decided Carnarvon and it's (only!) 9.5hr trip each way and 98% eclipse was the better choice. 20+ hours driving for a 2hr event / 70-something second moment was more reasonable than 30+ hours driving!

We got home from work Wednesday, had a couple of hours sleep, then headed off at 11pm, returning at just after 10pm last night.

As for the eclipse itself: it seems 98%, as almost-complete as it is, is rather disappointing in terms of how dark it makes the place. It definitely gives everything a weirdly darkish look, but it was still quite light the whole time. Weird thing was at the moment of totality, as Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' blared out of the pub up the street (awesome choice, but they missed their golden chance of utilising Bonnie Tyler at the moment!), the wind just stopped. The water on the bay behind us went completely flat, and all the birds (every single one of them) stopped flying, squawking, ect, and got themselves ready to go to sleep. The sky was a dark blue, and that was the moment. A little underwhelming, I must say, given the effort we went to to be there, but it was still pretty cool.

There was a few people from the local space museum going around giving out eclipse glasses. That was great, as little else I was doing except the pinhole thing was working too well! We experienced it, had some lunch, and jumped back in the car for the long drive home again. And back at work today..!

Attached are just a couple of photos taken on my mobile at the moment it was at it's peak. Super digital zoom through the eclipse glasses in one photo, and the eerily darkish scenery around us. They're not much, but enjoy them anyway!

Attachments

• 20230421_075300.jpg
    20230421_075300.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230421_073810.jpg
    20230421_073810.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Solar eclipse update:
So, in a spur-of-the-moment kinda thing, late Tuesday night, my wife and I decided we'd drive up the WA coast to try experiencing the total solar eclipse as best we could before returning back ready for work today. She had an RDO for yesterday, and I walked into work Wednesday morning and said "I won't be in tomorrow". A few discussions were had, and we decided that Exmouth and it's 13.5hr drive was just that bit too far away, so we decided Carnarvon and it's (only!) 9.5hr trip each way and 98% eclipse was the better choice. 20+ hours driving for a 2hr event / 70-something second moment was more reasonable than 30+ hours driving!

We got home from work Wednesday, had a couple of hours sleep, then headed off at 11pm, returning at just after 10pm last night.

As for the eclipse itself: it seems 98%, as almost-complete as it is, is rather disappointing in terms of how dark it makes the place. It definitely gives everything a weirdly darkish look, but it was still quite light the whole time. Weird thing was at the moment of totality, as Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' blared out of the pub up the street (awesome choice, but they missed their golden chance of utilising Bonnie Tyler at the moment!), the wind just stopped. The water on the bay behind us went completely flat, and all the birds (every single one of them) stopped flying, squawking, ect, and got themselves ready to go to sleep. The sky was a dark blue, and that was the moment. A little underwhelming, I must say, given the effort we went to to be there, but it was still pretty cool.

There was a few people from the local space museum going around giving out eclipse glasses. That was great, as little else I was doing except the pinhole thing was working too well! We experienced it, had some lunch, and jumped back in the car for the long drive home again. And back at work today..!

Attached are just a couple of photos taken on my mobile at the moment it was at it's peak. Super digital zoom through the eclipse glasses in one photo, and the eerily darkish scenery around us. They're not much, but enjoy them anyway!

Great narration as well.

I’m going to sit down with lad (age13) and share it with him. Part of his education.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We had a partial eclipse back when I was at school- can’t remember exactly how close to totality it was, maybe 70-80% but was enough to noticeably darken things outside, I’d say about to early evening twilight levels. Being the 80s when attitudes to health and safety were much more casual we were all allowed out in the playground to watch it, my mum gave me some photographic negatives to look at it through and some of the other kids had their dads welding goggles.

Degrasse Tyson, he thinks the universe is a good place to be.

Look at it as a place to belong to the whole instead of feeling isolated.

Now that we’ve found some some exo planets, and there’s probably a lot out there, there’s a good chance there’s a second @blue bags somewhere in the whole show who has made a solid country and western album.

Parallel universes.

I can’t buy the nothing theory of it all. Doesn’t mean we have a purpose, I don’t know, but somethings up.

There’s that theory of God, pretty pessimistic, that you should believe in a God and creator, in case s/he exists and belief is a pre-requisite to a happy afterlife. I don’t have issues with constructive Christianity or other faith. Probably a good thing.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Degrasse Tyson, he thinks the universe is a good place to be.

Look at it as a place to belong to the whole instead of feeling isolated.

Now that we’ve found some some exo planets, and there’s probably a lot out there, there’s a good chance there’s a second @blue bags somewhere in the whole show who has made a solid country and western album.

Parallel universes.

I can’t buy the nothing theory of it all. Doesn’t mean we have a purpose, I don’t know, but somethings up.

There’s that theory of God, pretty pessimistic, that you should believe in a God and creator, in case s/he exists and belief is a pre-requisite to a happy afterlife. I don’t have issues with constructive Christianity or other faith. Probably a good thing.
I started a thread maybe a year ago now suggesting whether our lives are pre determined, by who who knows these things but they have been events that even science can't explain.

Last edited:
I started a thread maybe a year ago now suggesting whether our lives are pre determined, by who who knows these things but they have been events that even science can't explain.

Determinism, I haven’t studied it for many years.

That free will is a myth, even if we think we have it.

One of the great philosophical questions.

A symmetry with considerations of the universe.

The person who identified my child’s near fatal illness was of the Islamic faith. The boys life was saved and I am glad for the Doctors life and all things he believes in.

Just your local gp.

Generalzod

Immortal
Determinism, I haven’t studied it for many years.

That free will is a myth, even if we think we have it.

One of the great philosophical questions.

A symmetry with considerations of the universe.

The person who identified my child’s near fatal illness was of the Islamic faith. The boys life was saved and I am glad for the Doctors life and all things he believes in.

Just your local gp.
Well doctors follow a code a hypocratic oath to respect and treat the sick.

Well doctors follow a code a hypocratic oath to respect and treat the sick.

Yes, but I cannot be sure that another would have made the diagnosis.

Captain Rostrom of the Carpathia, steams into the same ice field that had just claimed the Titanic, most of it at full belt and the next morning, noticing the bergs around him said words to the effect of:

“ I believe a hand other than my own was in command of my ship last night.”

He called “all hands” upon the news of the then impending disaster and the entire crew were in rescue mode.

Fortunate were the survivors of the Titanic for his training, as was my boy for our local GP’s difficult path to his practice.

Last edited:

Yeah that was really good, thanks.

I’m going to become an andromeda prepper and declare war on this belligerent galaxy early.

It’s heading our way and knowing our luck, we will be the only planet to collide with its black hole and end up in another universe where AFL is the cosmic sport.

I love the graphics in this. That ant on the basketball, I could relate quite well to his/her circumstance.

Here is the known universe, behold @blue bags, I’m also waiting for the aliens to make their way down the screen so I can fire at them!

IMG_6754.png

And can you turn the temperature down a bit on the space flight deck. Nah, don’t open the window again…

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal

I’m going to become an andromeda prepper and declare war on this belligerent galaxy early.

It’s heading our way and knowing our luck, we will be the only planet to collide with its black hole and end up in another universe where AFL is the cosmic sport.

I love the graphics in this. That ant on the basketball, I could relate quite well to his/her circumstance.

Here is the known universe, behold @blue bags, I’m also waiting for the aliens to make their way down the screen so I can fire at them!

View attachment 73968

And can you turn the temperature down a bit on the space flight deck. Nah, don’t open the window again…
Everything that has a beginning has and end, even our own Sun will eventually die out in 50 billion years.

Generalzod

Immortal

View attachment 73968

Everything that has a beginning has and end, even our own Sun will eventually die out in 50 billion years.

Mmmm..

I’m not sure.

Isn’t it a case of stuff just changing about?

The sun dies out but becomes dust and then later, aggregates and turns into a rock thing under the right conditions. Crap happens and you end up with a Brooksy.

That speck of dust from the exploded sun, you can hold it, but as you know, it’s infinite.

I can prove it too.

So I’m still not buying big bang in its formative stages!

I’m trying…lol

Latest posts