What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

India vs New Zealand 1st Test

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Pretty easy to hook into the spinners on a lifeless deck

How did the Indian spinners go yesterday in their home conditions ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Vettori with a couple of early Christmas presents there, looks like the pitch won out in the end.

Red Bear

Referee
Was always going to be difficult with only one seamer, but a pretty good effort from where they were after two days play

Iafeta

Referee
Pretty easy to hook into the spinners on a lifeless deck

How did the Indian spinners go yesterday in their home conditions ?

Yeah, the deck was fairly ordinary. However, I don't think anyone was asking too much of the spinners. A wicket here or there was all that was required. It's also not the first time that New Zealand spinners over the past decade have been left with straight forward tasks to put their team into a position of domination. Most if not all times they (Vettori especially) fail miserably. I think Vettori's bowling should be reclassified as left arm slow medium. He is definitely not a spinner as well, that requires spin. As far as how India went, Pragyan Ojha at times made the ball spin and bounce, far more than either Patel or Vettori could do.

That said, Vettori is a worthwhile member of the team due to his batting, and his generally decent first innings performances. We need a strike bowler in and around Vettori and co though. Jeetan Patel for a start is never going to be that. Also, Tim McIntosh... yuck. That technique is shocking. In both dismissals he was not watching the ball closely at all.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I've never rated Vettori highly as a test bowler. He's a very smart bowler who is hard to get away and decieves batsmen through smarts rather than spin. Problem is that in a test match the batsmen don't need to force the pace and it makes it easier to negotiate him.

If anything this test has highlighted the awfulness that is Gareth Hopkins. Fair enough if McCullum doesn't want to keep, but we could've used an extra bowler in the slot Hopkins takes up.

For me Guptil has to come in form McIntosh in the second test. Watling is only hanging on due to McIntosh being so damn terrible and should struggle once this Series is over.

shiznit

Coach
i gotta give them some props... they showed some heart...

thats all weve asked of them. just go out there and fight hard every session.

its interesting hearing people talk about Williamson being the next Crowe.... or the best prospect since Crowe...

it just makes me see how hopeless NZ cricket is... Crowe was a good player... definitely world class at the time... but f**ken hell... people go about him in NZ like he was one of the greatest of all time...

IMO we want kids like Williamson to go well beyond Martin Crowe... our brightest young kids should be looking at the Tendulkar and Pontings of this world and be aiming for 25+ test century's.

i look at guys like Ross Taylor and see far more talent that Martin Crowe ever had... they just need that bloody mental application to turn themselves from talents to world class cricketers.

it just f**ken gives me the sh*ts hearing people spout on about Martin Crowe like he was some demi-god.

Iafeta

Referee
Martin Crowe had a terrific record, particularly given the quality of bowler he was up against in that era. He had centuries against all test playing nations bar South Africa. He was a fantastic technically astute batsman.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Martin Crowe had a terrific record, particularly given the quality of bowler he was up against in that era. He had centuries against all test playing nations bar South Africa. He was a fantastic technically astute batsman.

most technically correct I've ever seen

Red Bear

Referee
This has gotta be the most promising a Kiwi batting lineup has looked for a while tho hasnt it? Taylor Ryder Williamson and McCullem. As usual the openers are a huge concern but thats potentially a very good batting lineup, especially if Ryder stays out of trouble/gets a bit fitter and Taylor gets a bit better in his mental application. With Vettori at seven its a genuine test match lineup, especially if Guptill can convert potential to performance.

Bowling has to be a concern however. Whats happened to Tuffy, just not that good or injured?

Benjitheking

Juniors
The problem in New Zealand cricket is when you get to the the top they get lazy because no one really ever knocking the door down with fantastic domestic performances. A perfect example of that is Hamish Marshall.
Another thing i don't understand is that Kane Williamson is a #3 why is the first thought to hide him at 6? But it worked so obviously i can't have to big of problem with it.

JJ

Immortal
iits interesting hearing people talk about Williamson being the next Crowe.... or the best prospect since Crowe...

it just makes me see how hopeless NZ cricket is... Crowe was a good player... definitely world class at the time... but f**ken hell... people go about him in NZ like he was one of the greatest of all time...

it just f**ken gives me the sh*ts hearing people spout on about Martin Crowe like he was some demi-god.

Crowe was as good as anyone in his era... hurt by the awful lineups around him later on, and his injuries... But if you doubt how good he was take a look at the World Cup of 92 (or whever it was)... he was the best batsman in the world at that time

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
unfortunately NZ just dont produce big turners of the ball...

the biggest turner of the ball i remember seeing in NZ Domestic cricket was Brooke Walker... and he was just a rubbish clone version of Shane Warne...

weve got nothing at domestic level... it says alot that Kane Williamson was probably the best up and coming spinner last season.

could you imagine if they threw that Hira bloke from Auckland into international cricket... Warnie, Macca & Boon would come out of retirement after seeing all the pies that useless bastard bowls.

Hey GAGF, Hira is a useful limited overs bowler. Better than Patel!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Best opener in the country?? Drugs are bad...

Seriously, if we want a 30-something tradesman then How and Papps are clearly better, and importantly more talented... McIntosh is gutsy, but incredibly ordinary

Can't really agree tbh. I think McIntosh has shown that he's the sort of player who will average 30-something in FC cricket (lots of failures and then a grinding century) and can also average 30-something in test cricket (lots of failures and then a grinding century).

Once he gets past about 20 he becomes very difficult to remove.

It's not ideal but I'm not convinced we have anyone better, not by a long shot.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
apparently he bowled a fast spell to Vettori at some point and that was enough

He is average, is always injured and bowls crap lengths.

When he was picked in the 1 dayers, they pointed to his good form for Canterbury, which translated to 1/156 from 25 overs in the past 2 seasons :lol:

**** I hate that **** Vettori

JJ

Immortal
Can't really agree tbh. I think McIntosh has shown that he's the sort of player who will average 30-something in FC cricket (lots of failures and then a grinding century) and can also average 30-something in test cricket (lots of failures and then a grinding century).

Once he gets past about 20 he becomes very difficult to remove.

It's not ideal but I'm not convinced we have anyone better, not by a long shot.

He's proved you right in this test... I do like his ability to tough things out...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Got to give credit to him to fight back after a pair and put a 100 odd and 49(given out when he wasn't) is a great effort. Hopefully him and McCullum can form a solid opening pair for us. And btw to the people who have given it to McCullum in the past for only averaging low 30's in tests I've always said if he was batting in the top order he would average 40+ and I think bu the end of his career if he stays as an opener or first drop he will.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
looks like he's your bogey man atm, dont let the obnoxious weed get to you

JJ

Immortal
looks like he's your bogey man atm, dont let the obnoxious weed get to you

never understood why Australians have an issue with him, or Indians in general... he seems to get along well with our lot, and is great to watch

Latest posts