What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis may be lost to the code?

Minh

First Grade
Looks like he's fallen on his own sword doesn't it, even if the deal does push through he's lost a lot of credibility in the game.:cool:

Cooper-Man

Bench
losing him to the game would be a disaster.

All you people are thinking as Saints supporters. Think as a supporter if the game. We lose too many big names year after year to other codes. We need to put our foot down and show those codes we cant be walked over.

Minh

First Grade
that's true that we lose a lot of quality players, what the NRL needs to do is to raise the salary cap so that these great athletes can be paid what they deserve in line with other codes like the AFL. However Inglis and his manager Gainey seems to be holding the game to ransom, this guy has been at the centre of many contentious deals and non deals(Brisbane).

DirtyHarry

Juniors
sorry to go off topic, must say i like your avatar, i remember seeing eraserhead at the old valhalla in glebe, what a classic, shame foxtel can't show some of these old films, david lynch made his mark here.

Great movie Pat - even after all these years!

DirtyHarry

Juniors

All you people are thinking as Saints supporters. Think as a supporter if the game. We lose too many big names year after year to other codes. We need to put our foot down and show those codes we cant be walked over.

Sorry Coops but I don't support RL I support the Dragons.

Greggy can stick his head in deep fried chip fat for all I care

Father Ted

First Grade

Player managers = Parasites

blacklock

Juniors
we should be fair... Greg Inglis is a great player. Period... We shouldnt lose someone like him to another code. If there is money there to keep him in the code we should keep him or change the rules.

Lets not forget we were attacked for how we fit Gasnier within the salary cap this year.

Minh

First Grade
As a player he has the potential to be right up there with Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer as one of the best players in recent times. Would hate to see if the NRL approved the third party deals whether this would open the door for further future deals along these lines which favours those rich more independently owned clubs with high profile contacts, making a mockery of the salary cap. Clubs like $ouff$, Manly and the roosters would have a field day.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
we should be fair... Greg Inglis is a great player. Period... We shouldnt lose someone like him to another code. If there is money there to keep him in the code we should keep him or change the rules.

Lets not forget we were attacked for how we fit Gasnier within the salary cap this year.
Different situations.

Saints sent all the paperwork into the NRL, and waited for NRL approval before making any media announcement that Gasnier had been signed. Therefore, totally legit.

The Souths owner got on TV in America and said Inglis had been signed for $1.8mil / 3 years. The NRL hadn't received any paperwork. Very unprofessional.

I recall the frustration of fellow supporters as the Gasnier negotiations dragged on. But I'd rather see the club boss making sure it was all approved and legal, than seeing the club boss revealing sensitive details on International TV before the deal was locked away.

P.S. I've always been a fan of Inglis, ever since I saw him playing in the Qld Cup for Norths Devils. Great player, just finding his way at the moment imo. I hope a deal is worked out and he stays in RL. Russell Crowe could have blown it though.

Last edited:

blacklock

Juniors
Different situations.

Saints sent all the paperwork into the NRL, and waited for NRL approval before making any media announcement that Gasnier had been signed. Therefore, totally legit.

The Souths owner got on TV in America and said Inglis had been signed for $1.8mil / 3 years. The NRL hadn't received any paperwork. Very unprofessional.

I recall the frustration of fellow supporters as the Gasnier negotiations dragged on. But I'd rather see the club boss making sure it was all approved and legal, than seeing the club boss revealing sensitive details on International TV before the deal was locked away.

P.S. I've always been a fan of Inglis, ever since I saw him playing in the Qld Cup for Norths Devils. Great player, just finding his way at the moment imo. I hope a deal is worked out and he stays in RL. Russell Crowe could have blown it though.

hehe yes i was watching leno when russell was on. In all honesty..id love to see the salary cap scrapped and a new system put in whereby you can pay as much as you want to a player but then youre "taxed" a certain percentage which is put into a pot to subsidize the less wealthy clubs.

I think what russell is doing is good. He did an ok job of exposing our game more to the states. We need more and more money coming in.

I get your distinction with the gasnier situation...but im just saying there were several people who were not happy about it (lockier to name one hehe). We need to start caring about our players more.

Its not so much inglis who will be punished if he leaves the code. Its the kids coming up. Theyre all watching and learning. Their managers are also noting. So they know where exactly the brick wall in terms of pay is. If the nrl isnt showing more love... i dont think they will either.

After all....footballers need to take care of their needs first. They need to make as much as they can as quick as they can.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good post blacklock. Fully agree about a player's right to look after his needs first.

Lockyer was talking through his arse imo. It was crap then, and more crappy now. Very hypocritical. At best, it was another Lockyer gaffe.

I have no probs with Russell being a showman for League and Souths, he has done it before and I hope he does it again. But he stuffed up this time. Here's hoping he knows it too.

Latest posts