What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis off to the Broncos???

AuDragon

Juniors
you seem jealous like a pratty little child that he just might actually be better informed than the less fortunate, like yourself. how sad for you.
Why am I not surprised this comes from another Knights fan? :lol:

I don't get why you guys are so envious, you have Gids after all. :sarcasm:

applesauce

Bench
See obviously you are still caught up on that point.

Newcastle have gone after almost every free agent on the market and signed basically nobody. Inglis isn't the first bloke to turn them down and that is not the fault of the Bronco's.

You would be alot better off looking at whats going wrong with Newcastle than coming up with ridiculous News LTD conspiracy theories.

Hit the nail on the head.

All the talent on the market in the last 6months and they got Costigan and Kafusi :clap:

What a precedent for even more great players like Inglis to continue to flock to... How Brisbane is even mentioned in the same sentence as the all conquering Knights is beyond me.

Broncos may as well give up trying to get Inglis they can't compete with the talent/lifestyle/facilites and reputation of Newcastle.

Last edited:

BDH

Juniors
Real life senario where would you rather work:

Manage a 5 star restaurant or a fish and chip shop?

If you think facilities, reputation, marketing ability, success and money are not the best at the Broncos you are kidding yourself.

Admirable to try and take the moral high ground of sport but sport is capitalism these days and like it or not it needs to be embraced to survive which is what has made the Broncos as successful on and off the field as they are.

Get with the times or slowly die it's as simple as that. Every Sydney club has been stuck in the past hoping everything will be ok, but times change, attitudes shift and competitors attack, kill or be killed.

Until other clubs embrace successful business models and generate alternative incomes through memberships and sponsors, clubs like Brisbane will continue to rule the roost.

Exactly.

People have tried to take RL from a localised sport and turn it into something truly professional, but for some reason I have never understood, whole sections of the Rugby League community actually think THEY own Rugby League.

Rugby League could be as strong as Super Rugby in SA and NZ or even the IPL. But we are still stuck and it's because of this mindset of territory and possession.

It's 2010, SPORT IS A BUSINESS. Players are professionals.

stormbati

Bench
Last week Inglis' manager said Brisbanes offer included third party deals. Now its been topped up again??

BDH

Juniors
I take it you have no idea of culture in rugby league, or is this a new phenonenom that began when the NRL was formed ? Speak to any person who followed the BRL for years and ask them what they think of the culture of Brisbane Broncos and the impact it had on the Brissy comp. It is a two way street, open your eyes or do a little reading and look at the culture of rugby league with objective eyes.

I supported Wynnum before Broncos and support Wynnum after Broncos. The Broncos took over half my team the day they formed. I know exactly what Broncos did to the QRL.

It's called GROWTH! Something the Sydney mindset of "we own Rugby League" can't (or won't) understand.

Nobody owns RL, not old Sydney teams (who have no more claim to the NRL than BRL clubs), not BRL clubs, not the NRL. It is a sport.

Let that thought sink into your skull and just maybe the idea will dawn on you that RL COULD be run better, bigger, more professional.

Well I take your memory is fading or just not working. Remember when Brisbane Broncos chairman Barry Maranta got together with Rupert. The result was Super League, and it was borne out of Red Hill. We all know how that went don't we.

I remember Super League quite well, guess what... if Super League had of merged properly with ARL (NSWRL in disguise) we would never have had a Storm salary cap scandal. We would never have watched players leave for Union /AFL/ESL chasing money (which is their fundamental right to get paid as much as they can). We would have watched as RL became bigger than Super Rugby, before Super Rugby had a chance to get a foothold in professional sport in the Southern Hemisphere. Don't even get me started on the generations of youth, from Union, who would have chased the coin in RL.

The problem with Super League, from a Sydney mindset was, "my game and club is at threat". Nearly 15 years later, and those same clubs are still struggling...if not struggling, they aren't exactly models for sporting franchise success on and off the field.

Ever wondered why EPL in the UK, NFL/MLB/NBA in the USA, NHL teams in Canada, almost every soccer competition in Europe are run the way they are....yet NRL is run by chook-raffles and old men??

macavity

Referee
Melbourne have said they will only release Inglis if he goes on good terms, and basically gets paid his due worth and goes enthusiastically, not reluctantly.

You Broncos fans are refusing to acknowledge or address the point. Instead you are deflecting onto my club, which is not relevant to the problem here.

Again, for the slow.

No other team has had opportunity to officially put something to him, no matter what they can come up with - everyone else was told he wouldn't be released.

And then like magic the Broncos are allowed to negotiate with him.

If you can't see a pretty huge conflict there, with the Storm and Broncos having the same owner - you are seriously geniused.

Now no doubt the half-news-owned NRL will rubber stamp it, and the shuffling of Inglis from News' left pocket to their right will be complete.

From the Courier Mail:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frep5x-1225894757746

Melbourne could even pick up some of the tab to ensure Inglis, unlikely to receive more than $450,000 per season under the Broncos cap, receives his full contract - worth close to $650,000.

The Storm's willingness to do so would hinge on whether the NRL allow such top-up payments to fall under their second-tier cap.

So now a News Ltd paper reveals that one News Ltd club is looking to make a concession to move Inglis to the other News Ltd club - but only if the half-news-owned NRL let them do it outside the top cap?

And you geniuss still argue that this is all legit.... :lol:

Alex28

Coach
Melbourne wants the $200K to top up one of the best players in the game to come out of their Second Tier Salary Cap so they can spend their full salary cap on their top 25?

You have got to be kidding me.

And you guys suggesting there is no conflict of interest and everything is legit - you have no idea. There is a massive stench. One last dodgy deal before the independent commission comes in which would never ever let something like this occur.

(Disclaimer - even though I support the Knights I don't want the part-timer at my club. He only has a dig when he wants to and that would be of little use at our club. He is worth nowhere near $650K per year.)

Loudstrat

Coach
Cornerposter has forgotten the exclusivity agreement.

BDH is ignoring the fact that the non Sydney teams are either propped up by News Ltd or struggling financially - and ignoring that fact that all the expansion in the game was driven by Sydney clubs.

Still, you would ignore the facts when have 12 fingers.

applesauce

Bench
You Broncos fans are refusing to acknowledge or address the point. Instead you are deflecting onto my club, which is not relevant to the problem here.

Again, for the slow.

No other team has had opportunity to officially put something to him, no matter what they can come up with - everyone else was told he wouldn't be released.

And then like magic the Broncos are allowed to negotiate with him.

If you can't see a pretty huge conflict there, with the Storm and Broncos having the same owner - you are seriously geniused.

Now no doubt the half-news-owned NRL will rubber stamp it, and the shuffling of Inglis from News' left pocket to their right will be complete.

From the Courier Mail:

So now a News Ltd paper reveals that one News Ltd club is looking to make a concession to move Inglis to the other News Ltd club - but only if the half-news-owned NRL let them do it outside the top cap?

And you geniuss still argue that this is all legit.... :lol:

Titans have put in their offer now after "pulling out".

They were not aware the 3rd party deal was for any QLD club to take up and has indigenous ambassador roles for Inglis with the FOGS, similar to Thurston's fund/charity.

Let's see where this goes first before you buy another roll of al-foil.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-renew-interest-in-inglis-20100720-10jj1.html

thorson1987

Coach
OK.

How is this any different to when Hannant wanted to go home for "personal reasons".

The Dogs said the only clubs he could talk to were Brisbane and GC.

Now Inglis wants to be with his missus in Brisbane, so Melbourne said he could talk to Brisbane, but all the fans from Sydney clubs put on their Tin Foil Hats.

FMD.

some11

Referee

facepalmkp.jpg

lockyrulz

Juniors
OK.

How is this any different to when Hannant wanted to go home for "personal reasons".

The Dogs said the only clubs he could talk to were Brisbane and GC.

Now Inglis wants to be with his missus in Brisbane, so Melbourne said he could talk to Brisbane, but all the fans from Sydney clubs put on their Tin Foil Hats.

FMD.

Because Hannant was a guy who factored work, home life and goodness knows how many other reasons into his decision on a club to play for.

The Inglis instance is clearly a case of Kang and Kudos using mind control galaxy rays to ensure the broncos maintain a healthy roster and the knights continue to suck, further enhanced by the liberal use of their nefarious suck suck laser gun, cleverly disguised as Rick Stone.

johns_reds

First Grade
Because Hannant was a guy who factored work, home life and goodness knows how many other reasons into his decision on a club to play for.

The Inglis instance is clearly a case of Kang and Kudos using mind control galaxy rays to ensure the broncos maintain a healthy roster and the knights continue to suck, further enhanced by the liberal use of their nefarious suck suck laser gun, cleverly disguised as Rick Stone.

:lol::lol: