What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inglis or slater?

Juniors
u know what the funny thing is? most the people you proberbly believe are the greatest, are the ones saying this kid will be

Joker's Wild

Coach
u know what the funny thing is? most the people you proberbly believe are the greatest, are the ones saying this kid will be

Maybe so but those same "greats of the game" make that comment about plenty of young players each year. Its hardly unique or accurate just because it is said by them, it must be proven.

Shorty

Staff member
I think it's more appropriate to say he's got the potential to be one of the greatest.
He's been playing 2 years at a position starving him of true greatness(imo)!

Noa

First Grade
:lol: FMD that'll just about do me

You'll have to tell me whats so funny about it.

Plenty of judges have said it. He's got the physique, he's got the talent, he's got the skill, its just a question of does he have the temperament, which at this point is the big ?.

If someone had of got on here 10+ years ago and said Joey was going to be one the GOATS, Im pretty sure your answer would have been :lol:.

Edited to add good post Shorty.

Scottey

Juniors
I think the greats of the game aren't just about talent but their leadership qualities or the work they do off the field or their miraculous play that won Queensland that game of origin.

For me that's where your Wally's and Ruben's come from. Just genuine good guys. Not saying that Inglis isn't, more just the fact that the majority of his achievements are still to come.

Loudstrat

Coach
Greg can do things no one has either seen or can do, but he's too casual.
Pfft. Brett Kenny. Steve Rogers. Even Susan Renouf. Inglis aint even close to what they could do.

I think the greats of the game aren't just about talent but their leadership qualities or the work they do off the field or their miraculous play that won Queensland that game of origin.

For me that's where your Wally's and Ruben's come from. Just genuine good guys. Not saying that Inglis isn't, more just the fact that the majority of his achievements are still to come.

Still to come? He's one bad knee injury away from being past his peak.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You'll have to tell me whats so funny about it.

Plenty of judges have said it. He's got the physique, he's got the talent, he's got the skill, its just a question of does he have the temperament, which at this point is the big ?.

If someone had of got on here 10+ years ago and said Joey was going to be one the GOATS, Im pretty sure your answer would have been :lol:.

Edited to add good post Shorty.

:lol: @ the comparison.

10 years a go Joey was approaching his prime and had just single handedly won the ARL grand final for the Knights 1 week after puncturing his lung. Inglis has not produced anything like that as yet in his career and has been very inconsistent in his performances over the last 2-3 seasons IMO.

He is not yet fit to shine the boots of great centres like Meninga, Renouf, Fittler, Rogers or even ET. The kids got talent there is no doubt but he has along way to go before he is considered anywhere near a RL great let or loan the greatest.

Noa

First Grade
notice the + sign, that means Im not sure when Joey was 22 so I'll say 10 and add some yourself. obviously meant to refer to when Joey was 22 as well.

As for your second point they were all in the same position as GI at 22, just finding their feet in the game. And of those players you listed Id only rate sludge above him at the same age as you could find faults with all the other players

Joker's Wild

Coach
notice the + sign, that means Im not sure when Joey was 22 so I'll say 10 and add some yourself. obviously meant to refer to when Joey was 22 as well.

As for your second point they were all in the same position as GI at 22, just finding their feet in the game. And of those players you listed Id only rate sludge above him at the same age as you could find faults with all the other players

Joey was 23 during the '97 GF :lol:

Fittler and Big Mel were far better all round footballers at 22 than Inglis is. Consistency is the key and Greg goes missing in far to many games.

Noa

First Grade
Joey was 23 during the '97 GF :lol:

Fittler and Big Mel were far better all round footballers at 22 than Inglis is. Consistency is the key and Greg goes missing in far to many games.

Didnt see Fitler there so yeah, Ill agree that he was more rounded at the same age, but funny you knock Greg for his consis yet over look the fact Fitler was just the same when he was young. Mal wasnt better though, his greatness came later in his career. Sure he was a block-busting center but your looking at the early stage of his career through rose-coloured glasses

And sure johns was 23 during the 97 grand-final but I did say at 22 here and Inglis was only 20 when he was the CC medal winner in the 07. Another fact you overlooked.

Im not arguing he doesnt have consistencey issues but I think its overblown. He was having a very good year last year till his father had a heart-attack late in the season. Plus he has scored 51 tries in 74 games despite playing out of position for 2/3 of his career so far.

Edited to add I changed my mind, Fitler was not as good as Inglis up to that point in there careers. He was alot more inconsistent and wasnt the game changer that GI is.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well mate I dont agree. Freddy was far more consistent than you give him credit for and carried the backline of a pretty ordinary Penrith side when he was just 19.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree

tdawg

Juniors
greg inglis. a more rounded player and better athlete with much more potential.
plus he doesn't throw away world cups.. literally..

MsStorm

Bench
greg inglis. a more rounded player and better athlete with much more potential.
plus he doesn't throw away world cups.. literally..

If Aust. were going to win the RLWC you'd think that would have won it well and truly before slater made that pass!

Give the Kiwis some credit, the Aussies went into that game and thought that they already won it before it was played.

stormbati

Bench
Leading by more than 2 trys up, Lockyer drops the ball over the line, monaghan give away penalty try but Slater lost us the cup!